The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
nice pics - and I'm impressed with the 85/1.8, very little if any PF/CA off high contrast areas or the chrome in the scenes.
Of course it's an impressive lens. I paid almost 200 dollars for that thing, plus more than 10 for the rubber shade. It even has autofocus. It sounds like an angle grinder on full speed when it does its thing, but that's to be expected when I deal with cutting edge technology, isn't it?

A friend of mine has a factory btw. One of those places where they do real work, not this wimpy photography thing. There's real machinery and real sweat all over the place. I spent a couple of hours there today. D80 and 105mm f/2.8 micro, the old version that sounds like my 85mm, wide open most of the time. I love places like that :thumbup:

Last edited:

robmac

Nice shot. Much like people should never confuse education with intelligence, they shouldn't confuse cost of glass with IQ laid down. One does not necessarily mean (and in the case of education, often contra-indicates) the other.

Stuart Richardson

I agree, the more education people tend to have, the lower their image quality. I have a masters degree, but I think I was better looking when I had only my BA.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
do you like these (I have no education)

D300 • ZF 1.4/50mm • 1/320 sec. at f/11 ISO 200

D300 • ZF 1.4/50mm • 1/125 sec. at f/11 ISO 200

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Bondo, I like that first one. Nice lines.

Nice rosebud, Arne. The beginning of life. Reminds me of my daughter, who just gave birth to a girl.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Jorgen - and congratulations with your newborn granddaughter ! Looking forward to see pictures of her :)
Often rosebuds are even more beautiful than unfolded roses, and I agree, Arnes image is a very beautiful example.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Lovely shots Steen! You must live under a rock to take such nice shots! ;)
Thanks Carlos, I do, that's my secret, here's a couple more ignorant snaps :D

D300 • ZF 1.4/50mm • 1/640 sec. at f/11 ISO 200

D300 • ZF 1.4/50mm • 1/640 sec. at f/8 ISO 200

jonoslack

By your reasoning, PhD's can't get a good picture regardless?
Quite right Carlos - that's why I abandoned mine at the last moment (it's in the attic mouldering away!)

Here is a strictly 'non PhD' image (mind you, it could be better as I do have a first degree in Botany!).

This was shot with the D3 and the notorious 24-120 at f8 and 29mm
So it was an over-qualified photographer with an over-qualified camera and an under-qualified lens (didn't stop it pouring down with rain though!).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jono,
You are clearly over-qualified for this. Just considering a PhD...... and then buying a camera... shrug!

This guy, on the other hand, does not have a PhD, but he does apparently have some talent beyond his profession. D80 and 105mm f/2.8 micro.

jonoslack

Hi Arne
I love the first one with the steely cobbles.
So, on Carlos' basis you must have pretty poor academic qualifications :)

robmac

Don't know how we linked education and photo-taking ability let alone looks, but what the hell...lets go with free-association.

Have masters (business) and while I can't say it did anything for my looks (or lack there of) it made for some fun years afterwards. Thought about going for PhD (business 'cough' ethics), but figured I had so little common sense left after my masters, I couldn't risk taping that well any further.

Very nice shots folks. The 105 micro looks very nice. Have just acquired a clean 55 micro + extender but have yet to play with it.

I agree, the more education people tend to have, the lower their image quality. I have a masters degree, but I think I was better looking when I had only my BA.