The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

Lloyd

Re: This shoot was a zoo

So much for Ken Rockwell's contention that the SB600 is just as good as the 800!)
Fun pix indeed, and well done under the circumstances. I use the CLS often, and am forever running into situations that are unique, and call for creative "solutions". I do a lot of experimenting to anticipate potential situations, and that helps. And yes, I think the new PWs will help a great deal (I had the original Radio Poppers, and they worked well also), but learning to shoot the strobes in Manual, and adjusting for the conditions is one of the best things I've learned to do with off-camera lighting. YMMV

As for the Ken Rockwell remark, I've found very few KR contentions I though were worth the time to read. :thumbdown: Again, YMMV.

R

Ranger 9

And yes, I think the new PWs will help a great deal (I had the original Radio Poppers, and they worked well also), but learning to shoot the strobes in Manual, and adjusting for the conditions is one of the best things I've learned to do with off-camera lighting.
I agree with you, but in these circumstances the only way I had to adjust the strobes' power levels was via the CLS control on the camera, even when I was using them in manual mode. If I had all SB800s I could have set the power ratios on the strobes, but the SB600 doesn't have that capability. Word to the wise when trying to decide if the more expensive strobe is worth the extra money...[/QUOTE]

Lloyd

I agree with you, but in these circumstances the only way I had to adjust the strobes' power levels was via the CLS control on the camera, even when I was using them in manual mode. If I had all SB800s I could have set the power ratios on the strobes, but the SB600 doesn't have that capability. Word to the wise when trying to decide if the more expensive strobe is worth the extra money...
[/QUOTE]

Good to know. I have 6 SB800s, but have only used one SB600, and that was on-camera as the Master strobe.

Looking forward to adding a couple SB900s.:thumbup:

D

ddk

Cool shot and great technique David, I want to know how many eggs did it take to capture this?

David K

Workshop Member
Thanks, Marc. David, we had a dozen available but managed to do it with four. The exercise also included dropping jelly beans, pouring Club Soda into a glass, etc. in an attempt to see just how good the motion stopping capabilities of the Scoro pack are. We compared shooting the D3 on high speed (9fps) vs using the strobe effect of the pack with the camera on 2-3 seconds and found the former worked better provided the modeling light was off. The posted image is a bit of a cheat as we composited the broken egg shell in from another shot :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Very cool egg shot, David. I always wanted to do shots like that, but I'm lazy, and my knowledge of lighting is not much to write home about.