The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jorgen, I really like the speed shapes. Very interesting.

I was wondering what criteria you use to decide between the D80 and the S5? Do you usually carry them both along with you every day?

Lloyd

Very nice, Jorgen. But all that bandwidth wasted on machines. Let's see the girls!!:D:D

(Ok, more machines too.)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, I really like the speed shapes. Very interesting.

I was wondering what criteria you use to decide between the D80 and the S5? Do you usually carry them both along with you every day?
Good question. I wish I knew myself. Sometimes, I change camera several times before I'm even out of the door :ROTFL:

The main rule is that I use the D80 when I need the extra resolution and the S5 for people and street. Since I have a vertical grip for the D80, I also tend to use it with heavy lenses. The D80 will also usually give better results with lenses of lower quality, like the Nikkor 70-300 ED. But the most important rule is this:

There are no rules. I try to get the best results with whatever camera I take.

I do prefer the S5 though, due to colours, WB, DR and a more "natural" look. If I have time, I will go back to the Motor Show with the S5 and hunt for more interesting shapes (and girls :D ).

For paid jobs, I usually bring both, both for backup and because I use them differently. In a controlled environment, particularly if I can use a tripod, I tend to choose the S3 over the S5 though. There's something about the files from that camera...

Did that make sense?

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Good question. I wish I knew myself. Sometimes, I change camera several times before I'm even out of the door :ROTFL:

The main rule is that I use the D80 when I need the extra resolution and the S5 for people and street. Since I have a vertical grip for the D80, I also tend to use it with heavy lenses. The D80 will also usually give better results with lenses of lower quality, like the Nikkor 70-300 ED. But the most important rule is this:

There are no rules. I try to get the best results with whatever camera I take.

I do prefer the S5 though, due to colours, WB, DR and a more "natural" look. If I have time, I will go back to the Motor Show with the S5 and hunt for more interesting shapes (and girls :D ).

For paid jobs, I usually bring both, both for backup and because I use them differently. In a controlled environment, particularly if I can use a tripod, I tend to choose the S3 over the S5 though. There's something about the files from that camera...

Did that make sense?
Yes, that was a very thoughtful answer and I appreciate it. I've wondered about this for a while.

bensonga

Testing a friend's new camera (Nikon D90...not bad!).

Mount Redoubt approaching ash cloud and ash falling over Turnagain Arm. These photos were taken about an hour apart.

Gary
Alaska

bensonga

Beautiful photos, Gary. What lens did you use?
Thanks!

I believe these were both taken with the 18-105 VR DX lens...nothing special really. Hand held, on the run (we were trying to avoid the ash fall).

From my brief use of the D90, I thought it was a pretty nice DSLR.

I've got a bunch of manual focus non-AI and AIS Nikkor prime lenses.....any suggestions on which Nikon DSLR would work well with these?

Gary
Alaska

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks!

I believe these were both taken with the 18-105 VR DX lens...nothing special really. Hand held, on the run (we were trying to avoid the ash fall).

From my brief use of the D90, I thought it was a pretty nice DSLR.

I've got a bunch of manual focus non-AI and AIS Nikkor prime lenses.....any suggestions on which Nikon DSLR would work well with these?

Gary
Alaska
The D90 is very nice. Even the D80 is nice, and the D90 is improved, not least with a much better sensor. It won't meter with the old non-AF lenses though. You need a camera body with a one or three digit number for that. D200/300/700 or D2H/2X/3/3X will do it. Those cameras also have a decent viewfinder making manual focus easier.

Be aware also that some (all?) older, pre-AI lenses can't be used, and may cause damage to you camera, unless they're converted to AI. I don't remember the details, but I think there's a complete overview at nikonians.com.

leif e

Thanks!

Gary
Alaska
I use mine on a Fuji S5 at the moment (just got the camera), but the solution I´m going to ad is the D700. Have uses several AI/AI´d/AIs lenses on a test camera - very nice indeed. (The portrait in my second post is with an 1,2/55 from 68 or 69. Lovely pics, by the way. We have great looking mountains to - but they look different! :)
leif e

Last edited:

leif e

More happy with the files from my Fuji S5 each time I check them out.:) This one of my mother was taken in window daylight. The color version is pale and lacking in colour brilliance here, the BW too light - after Save for web in PS. This very often happens.:angry: I think I´ll start taking them directly out of Aperture. BW version is Aperture/SilverEffex plug in.
Nikkor 1,2/55 at f2, I think
leif e

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Ah.... of course, I forgot to mention the S5 :lecture:

Nice photo, Leif. I actually like the b&w version. I've stopped using the "Save for web" function, unless I need a very small file. I save at quality 9 to get as much detail as possible, at least on a forum like this.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
More happy with the files from my Fuji S5 each time I check them out.:) This one of my mother was taken in window daylight. The color version is pale and lacking in colour brilliance here, the BW too light - after Save for web in PS. This very often happens.:angry: I think I´ll start taking them directly out of Aperture. BW version is Aperture/SilverEffex plug in.
Nikkor 1,2/55 at f2, I think
leif e
Leif,
Both are nice, but I think the color captures your Mom's delicate coloring and seems more feminine to me. Love the way the S5 cpatures people.

leif e

Thanks both of you! Cindy, you may be right about the color one. I normally have less patience with color ...
leif e

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Had a go at food photography today, a new and interesting experience. The best thing was that I was allowed to eat all the food after making the photos :D

It gives the expression "Will work for food" a totally new meaning :LOL:

D80 with Micro Nikkor 105mm AF-D @ f/13

kweide

A time ago i learned, that most food and/or food arrangements for potography are made NOT by nature but by food stylists and they will make them from wood, silikone, wax or other non-tasty stuff :(
But yours were real ???? WOW

etrigan63

I read about that in one too. Some bubbly drink images were actually colored gelatin with the little bubbles added via a glass pipette. Definitely not in the edible category by any stretch of the imagination.

Lloyd

Very nice, Jorgen. It does indeed look good enough to eat... and I'm impressed that it was actually edible stuff, as others have pointed out it often isn't.

L

LivingFiction

Even on the occasions when it is real food, there are "food stylists" who are there with spray bottles and such to keep it looking fresh. It drys out quick under those lights.