Site Sponsors

Thread: D3 & D300 colors

Post Thanks / Like

D3 & D300 colors

is it me or does D3 deliver richer colors than D300 with the same lenses?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: D3 & D300 colors

IMHO they both deliver the same color...
    I have been using both camera since Desember 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Andree.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree with Andre. I have had the D300 since Thanksgiving and when i finally got a D3 in January I did a lot of side by side comparisons. I found the colors to be very similar

Woody

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

LCT,

I also agree with Woody & deepdiver, but will say what you might be noticing is that the D3 does provide a larger range of tones which is a much more subtle gradiation/transition.

Best,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harmsr View Post
    ..I also agree with Woody & deepdiver, but will say what you might be noticing is that the D3 does provide a larger range of tones which is a much more subtle gradiation/transition...
    Yes it must be this Ray. The D300 reminds me of my D70 with its simpler colors. Looking at Andree's pics with Zeiss lenses, the colours of the D3 look much richer to me. Close to Blad or Leica perhaps. Difficult to say to which extent it comes from the body or the lenses though.

Post Thanks / Like

Bear in mind a Zeiss vs. Nikon lens will make a NOTABLE difference in color - just ask any Canon alternate glass user who switches between EF, Zeiss, Leica and Nikon to name but 4.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Bear in mind a Zeiss vs. Nikon lens will make a NOTABLE difference in color - just ask any Canon alternate glass user who switches between EF, Zeiss, Leica and Nikon to name but 4.
    Yes i know this of course but i wonder if the glass explains everything here.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it glass might be the bulk of it. Would make an interesting test...

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I notice the Zeiss glass is warmer but yet to put that up to a test
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Zeiss glass is an influence but it has the same influence on both the D300 & D3.

I'll take a couple of shots this afternoon with both so you can see the difference between the two. It really is related to the camera.

Best,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you much Ray.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey LCT,

Delayed but here they are. D3 & D300 photos both taken with the Zeiss glass.

I think this will show that the D3 better than the D300 as we described.

Best,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ray thanks, very kind of you.
    I played a bit with your pics below: WB on the supposedly grey parts in upper left of both images and +15% saturation in red, green and yellow of the D300's.
    Would you mind to send me the raw files to lctphot AT aol DOT com?
    I could upload them to my iDisk so that others could peruse them eventually.
    Best.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

LCT,

Unfortunately, I deleted them already. I'll have to take a couple more shots again, then I will forward them and also post them.

However, if you notice the D3 shot on the left look at the range of colors in the stick in the background and the on the left most petal of the main flower. The D300 washes these colors together, while the D3 provides a broader range of tones and a more gentle but defined transition.

Best,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harmsr View Post
    ...the D3 provides a broader range of tones and a more gentle but defined transition...
    Yes i see what you mean, thanks for sharing. I would like to retrieve a rendition like that in a smaller package. Pentax K20D with Zeiss lenses?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LCT View Post
    Yes i see what you mean, thanks for sharing. I would like to retrieve a rendition like that in a smaller package. Pentax K20D with Zeiss lenses?
    So would I - why on earth does it have to be such a big box!
    I was very tempted by the Pentax, I cried off because it didn't really have the lenses I wanted. Nice camera though

Just this guy you know

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just the excuse I need to buy a Pentax body. All the Zeiss lenses available in F-mount are available in K-mount as well, and so are the "new" Voigtländers. Add to that the very good to excellent Pentax Limited lenses, and there's really no DSLR that can compare with regards to high quality primes under 100mm.

I wish buying all those lenses made sense from an economical point of view, but I'm afraid the joy factor is the strongest argument here.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Just the excuse I need to buy a Pentax body. All the Zeiss lenses available in F-mount are available in K-mount as well, and so are the "new" Voigtländers. Add to that the very good to excellent Pentax Limited lenses, and there's really no DSLR that can compare with regards to high quality primes under 100mm.

I wish buying all those lenses made sense from an economical point of view, but I'm afraid the joy factor is the strongest argument here.
    Hi Jorgen
    Not just that, but the Zeiss lenses are chipped for Pentax (unlike Nikon), so they'll work properly in Program mode as well (FWIW).

but what are the files like?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey LCT

You might want to go to Online Photographer where a pretty thorough (from a practical perspective) of the K20 is ongoing. Seems like a capable camera but suffers only from lack of broad lens base, accessories etc. Tough to beat Canon /Nikon when it comes to breadth of product lines

Woody

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Jorgen
    Not just that, but the Zeiss lenses are chipped for Pentax (unlike Nikon), so they'll work properly in Program mode as well (FWIW).

but what are the files like?
    That's been my question as well. The little I've seen so far have been slightly less robust than files from the D300. It will be interesting to follow.

What has impressed me a lot, are jpegs from the much cheaper K200D. Much better (more detail, colours more to my liking) than those coming from Nikon cameras with the same sensor. Haven't seen any RAWs though.

I consider buying that one for starters, and the 31/1.8 and 77/1.8. With the addition of the yet not released 15mm Limited, I should have a very nice travel kit as an alternative to the E-1 and a zoom.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    ...what are the files like?
    That is the question. I would like to see how the Pentax renders with Zeiss lenses like 28/2, 50/1.4 or 50/2.
    Its IQ is highly praised by Chasseur d'Images (# 302, April 2008): good dynamic range at 14 bits; high but natural saturation; pure and 'fresh' colors; ultra-fine grain; very high sharpness; low noise up to 1600 iso.
    Interesting views given that the reviewer (Ronan Loaec) is a Leicaphile. But he did not test the body with Zeiss lenses and as usual at Chasseur d'Images the sample files are only jpegs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    ...You might want to go to Online Photographer where a pretty thorough (from a practical perspective) of the K20 is ongoing...
    Thank you Woody. Is it me or are there some blue cast and over saturated cyans in the pictures?