The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D3 & D300 colors

woodyspedden

I agree with Andre. I have had the D300 since Thanksgiving and when i finally got a D3 in January I did a lot of side by side comparisons. I found the colors to be very similar

Woody

harmsr

Workshop Member
LCT,

I also agree with Woody & deepdiver, but will say what you might be noticing is that the D3 does provide a larger range of tones which is a much more subtle gradiation/transition.

Best,

Ray

LCT

..I also agree with Woody & deepdiver, but will say what you might be noticing is that the D3 does provide a larger range of tones which is a much more subtle gradiation/transition...
Yes it must be this Ray. The D300 reminds me of my D70 with its simpler colors. Looking at Andree's pics with Zeiss lenses, the colours of the D3 look much richer to me. Close to Blad or Leica perhaps. Difficult to say to which extent it comes from the body or the lenses though.

robmac

Bear in mind a Zeiss vs. Nikon lens will make a NOTABLE difference in color - just ask any Canon alternate glass user who switches between EF, Zeiss, Leica and Nikon to name but 4.

LCT

Bear in mind a Zeiss vs. Nikon lens will make a NOTABLE difference in color - just ask any Canon alternate glass user who switches between EF, Zeiss, Leica and Nikon to name but 4.
Yes i know this of course but i wonder if the glass explains everything here.

harmsr

Workshop Member
The Zeiss glass is an influence but it has the same influence on both the D300 & D3.

I'll take a couple of shots this afternoon with both so you can see the difference between the two. It really is related to the camera.

Best,

Ray

harmsr

Workshop Member
Hey LCT,

Delayed but here they are. D3 & D300 photos both taken with the Zeiss glass.

I think this will show that the D3 better than the D300 as we described.

Best,

Ray

LCT

Hi Ray thanks, very kind of you.
I played a bit with your pics below: WB on the supposedly grey parts in upper left of both images and +15% saturation in red, green and yellow of the D300's.
Would you mind to send me the raw files to lctphot AT aol DOT com?
I could upload them to my iDisk so that others could peruse them eventually.
Best.

harmsr

Workshop Member
LCT,

Unfortunately, I deleted them already. I'll have to take a couple more shots again, then I will forward them and also post them.

However, if you notice the D3 shot on the left look at the range of colors in the stick in the background and the on the left most petal of the main flower. The D300 washes these colors together, while the D3 provides a broader range of tones and a more gentle but defined transition.

Best,

Ray

LCT

...the D3 provides a broader range of tones and a more gentle but defined transition...
Yes i see what you mean, thanks for sharing. I would like to retrieve a rendition like that in a smaller package. Pentax K20D with Zeiss lenses?

jonoslack

Yes i see what you mean, thanks for sharing. I would like to retrieve a rendition like that in a smaller package. Pentax K20D with Zeiss lenses?
So would I - why on earth does it have to be such a big box!
I was very tempted by the Pentax, I cried off because it didn't really have the lenses I wanted. Nice camera though

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Just the excuse I need to buy a Pentax body. All the Zeiss lenses available in F-mount are available in K-mount as well, and so are the "new" Voigtländers. Add to that the very good to excellent Pentax Limited lenses, and there's really no DSLR that can compare with regards to high quality primes under 100mm.

I wish buying all those lenses made sense from an economical point of view, but I'm afraid the joy factor is the strongest argument here.

jonoslack

Just the excuse I need to buy a Pentax body. All the Zeiss lenses available in F-mount are available in K-mount as well, and so are the "new" Voigtländers. Add to that the very good to excellent Pentax Limited lenses, and there's really no DSLR that can compare with regards to high quality primes under 100mm.

I wish buying all those lenses made sense from an economical point of view, but I'm afraid the joy factor is the strongest argument here.
Hi Jorgen
Not just that, but the Zeiss lenses are chipped for Pentax (unlike Nikon), so they'll work properly in Program mode as well (FWIW).

but what are the files like?

woodyspedden

Hey LCT

You might want to go to Online Photographer where a pretty thorough (from a practical perspective) of the K20 is ongoing. Seems like a capable camera but suffers only from lack of broad lens base, accessories etc. Tough to beat Canon /Nikon when it comes to breadth of product lines

Woody