The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Changing Aperture on D700

simonclivehughes

OK, I'm having a complete brain fart here... I haven't used my D700 for ages (as I've been concentrating on my M4/3s cams). My problem is that (with Nikon AF lenses), I always have the camera set in A mode and then use the rear command dial to adjust aperture (with the lenses locked at f22). Well now, this just doesn't seem to work. I can't for the life of me get either command dial to do anything with the aperture. I tried doing a reset and it still doesn't work. I've also tried this with different AF lenses... same issue. Camera has the latest firmware.

I know I'm probably overlooking something simple, but for the life of me I can't seem to suss out what it is.

Any clues would be really appreciated. :confused:

Cheers,

That doesn't sound right. The only time I have an issue is when it becomes unlocked and I get an -EE- error.

Longshot, but try cleaning the contact points?

Wish I could be more help.

simonclivehughes

Thanks for the reply Jason, I'll clean everything tonight and see if it makes a difference. Everything looks absolutely fine, but obviously something's gone south somewhere.

simonclivehughes

I just cleaned the camera contacts and those of the lens I was testing... no joy. I tried my other lenses and my the G lenses are fine, the front command dial adjusts the aperture. If I put either of my D lenses (50mm f1.8, 300mm f4) on, however, the front dial is inactive. And yes, the aperture dials on both lenses are locked.

Corlan,

No, it doesn't work in Manual mode either! The back dial adjusts the shutter, but the front does nothing. Obviously it's not the front dial itself as it works fine with G lenses.

I think I'll try to reload the firmware and see if anything changes. The camera is virtually new, with only a few K shots on it, and it's in immaculate condition.

Very frustrating, and very bizarre! :banghead:

UPDATE: Well, the firmware update did nothing. Anybody have any other ideas?

Cheers,

Last edited:

simonclivehughes

:toocool: Woohoo, it is solved!

I had to do a complete reset of the camera. This isn't as easy as it sounds either. It involves a multi-step process that I found (Google) and I'll quote here:

"Thank you for contacting Nikon Support regarding your D700.

The D700 does not have an overall factory reset button, however you can attain by doing a number of resets. The first reset can be done using the following method:

2 Button Reset:
1. Press and hold the 2 buttons at the top of the camera with a green dot beside each.
2. Keep these held for about 2 seconds.
3. Once the screen starts flashing it can be released.
4. The camera will then be reset to P-Mode.

You can then perform a reset in Shooting Menu and in The Customs Setting Menu. This should be the 2nd option in each of the aforementioned menus. These resets will need to be performed in each of the Shooting and Custom Setting Menu Banks.

Please refer to pages 196, 271 and 282 of the user manual for more details regarding the above reset options.

If you have any further queries, please contact us by clicking on the link above to update this incident."

Once I did the above, it's all back to normal, which means that it must have been due to a custom function. I suspect maybe the non-CPU lenses I had set up... who knows?

The good news is I have it back to normal. I'm pumped! :grin:

Ciao,

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Good news, Simon.
Shouldn't be related to the non-cpu settings, but who knows?

Looking forward to behold more of your nice photos :)

Alpenglowing

Simon, it sounds like your D700 may have been set up to adjust the aperture via the aperture ring. I have mine set up that way, and only use the front command dial with G lenses. Glad to hear it's all cleared up though.

simonclivehughes

That does sound like the issue. I must have inadvertently set it that way and didn't realize it. There are just SO many options on the bodies these days, it's mind boggling! I've got Thom Hogan's D700 guide on the way and that might help me get things set up better. :)

Thanks for the feedback.

Ciao,