Site Sponsors

Thread: Fuji s5pro

nei1

Fuji s5pro

Just to ask if anyone uses this body and what you think of it?Its a bargain at the moment at park cameras in england at nearly half price.Thanks,regards,Neil.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fuji s5pro

Neil,

I've never used it, but I see some negative comments on the Nikon forums about the interface, especially the menus. FWIW.

Cheers,

nei1

Thanks Simon,Ill have a look. regards ,Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a friend who uses the Fuji bodies to mount her Nikon lenses for backups when she shoots weddings. She's budget conscious but manages to get some very nice work from them.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use the S3, which has the same sensor, but different firmware and a completely different body. I consider buying the S5, even if the Nikon D300 is a better camera from most rational points of view. Still, there's something about the jpegs coming out of the Fujis that make them very pleasant to work with. WB is mostly spot on, and people look like people, and not like something out of a glossy magazine.

At current prices, they are certainly bargains, and if I should choose between the S5 and a similarly priced D200, there would be no doubt: S5 all the way

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

First post here.

I have been using the S5pro for the last year and I really like it. Colors and WB are very good. I shoot mostly in Jpeg and do the tweaks in Lightroom. As Jorgen mentioned, skin color is really natural and there is often little need to tweak the colors. I usually just set the black/white point and add some contrast.

Another strong point is the dynamic range which I find very large and easy to work with. Mine is set to 400% all the time. This can sometimes lead to flat pics but it leaves you the option to tweak later. The only problem is when shooting raw with DR at 400% as the raw files come in at 25meg. On the positive side, you can really torture those files before they fall apart.

Somebody mentioned that the menu system is not that good. To be honest, the need to go into the menus are not really necessary unless you want to change the film options all the time. All vital controls such as wb,iso,lightmetering,etc are accessible without going into the menus.

Overall it is a very good camera in its price class, specially today.

I will post a few pics later but have to run now.

William

nei1

Thanks TRSmith,William and Jorgen for your replies,looking through flicker there seems to be a lot of good photos taken with the s5 which must mean its being used by serious photographers who value its wide dynamic range.This feature if true is what Im looking for in a move to digital.To work out a native maximum print size do you count 6mp,12mp or somewhere in between?Thanks again for youre time,Neil.
    ps.Jorgen Udvang;what a brilliant name!

Post Thanks / Like

Had an older Fuji (S3?) a couple of years ago.
    Great DR, skin tones, did have some moire issues but the S5 looks very good.

That said, the Fuji software for RAF conversion takes pathetic to a whole new level.
    I mean it makes Nikon NX look like CS3 or Aperture. Imagine what a raw converter shouldn't be, multiply by 2x and that's the Fuji solution.

So, get some test RAF (Fuji RAW) files and play with them in your fave raw converter(s) to see if your happy with the results, because the Fuji OEM solution will NOT make your day.
    RAW converters aside, the Fuji approach re: two sizes of photocells (as a proxy for different light-sensitive emulsion grains in the film days) does appear to have some merit re: delivering better DR. I know wedding photogs love it's skin tones.

Edit: On the issue of sizing, I'd assume 6MP, but a better quality 6MP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What reviewers say is that it's somewhere in between, but here's my take:

I get more details but also more noise and less pleasing colours with a 10MP Nikon D200. With a 12MP D300, I assume I would get even more detail, and possibly less noise than the Fuji, but I haven't tried it yet.

I regularly print A3, inkjet as well as offset print from the S3 files with very good results, but I do that from the 5MP Olympus E-1 files as well. It's a question of subject matter, exposure etc. as well as megapixels.

One more thing: the Fuji sensor is very picky with regards to lenses. Count them as you will, but there are 12 million pixels in there, big and small, and they all want their share of the light. Cheap consumer zooms on my S3 produces cheap consumer images. So, instead of upgrading my camera, I buy lenses. Good ones. And it helps a lot.

Would I buy an S5? I'm considering that right now, and I have a feeling that the answer will be yes. For me, and for the work I do, there's enough detail, and I love the "look" of the images.

Is my name brilliant, really? I got it for free, you know, from my parents, some 52 years ago. Maybe I should tell my father that he is a genius after all. I'm sure he will be happy to hear that

Post Thanks / Like

Neil

I use it in 12m pixel mode all the time and downsize if needed.

I have attached the link to my S5pro set on flickr below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/westerw...7600253381507/

If any more questions I'll be happy to help.
    W.

nei1

Thanks William for the link,this is what I mean,this camera must be nice to use as good images just seem to pop out.The colours are natural too ,they look as I see the world,unlike the new sigma which to my mind has very strange colours and I think difficult to use as Ive not seen many good images from it.
    Robmac,thanks for the information,Im going to look into it and try to understand what all that means,theres a lot to learn in this digital world,good to have a new challenge.Jorgen ,my name is about to have 52 years as well,is 52 the mirror image of S5,no?well nearly,near enough to be an omen?maybe.
    p.s.Thor as well?it just gets better.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    my name is about to have 52 years as well,is 52 the mirror image of S5,no?well nearly,near enough to be an omen?maybe.
    p.s.Thor as well?it just gets better.
    Bunch of damned children around here . . . . 52 . . . pshaw. Mine's been around for 55 . . . . not sure it's quite up to yours though Jorgen.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It seems to me that there are some ancient folks here!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Thanks a bunch

anyway, you're as old as you feel (18)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    That's why I use an S3. It's slow enough for us ancient people to do some meditation while we wait for the camera to get ready for the next shot

18 already, Jono? According to my ex-something, I'm still just a desperate 15-year old, hiding in an old man's body Guess I have to find another, future, ex-something to get that confirmed

nei1

better to be old and wise than young and stupid,unfortunatly Ive drawn the old and stupid cardszzzzzzzzzzzzzz:sleep006:damn,fell asleep againzzzzzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pity I came across this thread too late, as it became more involved with mature age Well, I'm 54, so I think I qualify. I own an S5Pro for over a year, and love it for its dynamic range. Maybe I should post a couple of shots I've taken with it to prove my point (Hopefully).
    Cheers,
    Osman

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are the shots.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    18 already, Jono? According to my ex-something, I'm still just a desperate 15-year old, hiding in an old man's body Guess I have to find another, future, ex-something to get that confirmed
    Much to my not ex something's pleasure my ex something has, apparently, become rather large . . . .

What we really need to be is a toocool 50 something year old embedded in an 18 year old body . . . now, how do we do that?

Lovely shots Osman - I'm afraid I'm a great deal older than you, but if you're interested in my opinion, I'd think that most cameras could manage that dynamic range. . . . OTOH the S5 is obviously the best jpg camera in the known universe

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Thanks a bunch

anyway, you're as old as you feel (18)
    Given that I am fast approaching 71 none of you guys can yet talk about being old. And yes Jono I feel young too but thankfully not 18. I wouldn't want to go that far back. My best years were my 30's and 40's so that's how young i try to feel.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

S5 Pro: best jpegs I have EVER seen. Fuji's HU software is on a par with NX; which why I use the latest version of ACR.

S5's implementation of various controls, and menu system, feels a lot slower to use than the D200's. OTOH, as the poster above said, when you have the look you want, no problem. I have been thinking about getting another one, and perhaps getting rid of the D300—I just never use it these days. I could see the S5 sans grip as a walk-around fun camera.

Last point is that the Raw files are huge, but memory is cheap now. cheers, kl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just went through some photos I took last year with the S3, and what strikes me is that "this is the look I want in my photos". There's a mint 135mm f/2.0 in a shop nearby that costs the difference between an S5 and a D300. I agree with Kit, a second Fuji is not a bad idea at all.

Here's one from last year. S3 with 80-200 AF-S. 195mm f/4.8.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'll stay away from issues of age and stick to less challenging issues like dynamic range. I have an S3 and can only add to what's been said. The fuji is a JPG camera all the way, and makes great ones needing very little processing for color. I always shot mine at full dynamic range getting flatter files but always having shadow and highlights well in range, then adding contrast in PS. excellent cameras for anything but sports. best....Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know this will sound nonsense but I have to say it: In spite of its ease of use and technically flawless results, my D300 delivers shots that do not thrill me in the least. Yes I know, when I open them in PS they seem alright, but I do not LIKE them. They look bland, lifeless. OTOH, my S5 shots always have a higher wow factor for me. Yes, I take my D300 when I have to travel with a single camera, or when I do not know which light conditions await me. But I shoot with S5 whenever and wherever I can.
    Osman, the Fuji-lover

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OTUMAY
    Go with what YOU love
    Best, h

nei1

Otumay,that is a very interesting thing to say,can you expand on it a little?If not then id just like to agree with Helen.

nei1

Kit thanks for the advice Im really drawn to this camera.