The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji s5pro

N

nei1

Just to ask if anyone uses this body and what you think of it?Its a bargain at the moment at park cameras in england at nearly half price.Thanks,regards,Neil.

simonclivehughes

Neil,

I've never used it, but I see some negative comments on the Nikon forums about the interface, especially the menus. FWIW.

Cheers,

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I have a friend who uses the Fuji bodies to mount her Nikon lenses for backups when she shoots weddings. She's budget conscious but manages to get some very nice work from them.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I use the S3, which has the same sensor, but different firmware and a completely different body. I consider buying the S5, even if the Nikon D300 is a better camera from most rational points of view. Still, there's something about the jpegs coming out of the Fujis that make them very pleasant to work with. WB is mostly spot on, and people look like people, and not like something out of a glossy magazine.

At current prices, they are certainly bargains, and if I should choose between the S5 and a similarly priced D200, there would be no doubt: S5 all the way :)

emmawest72

Hi,

First post here.

I have been using the S5pro for the last year and I really like it. Colors and WB are very good. I shoot mostly in Jpeg and do the tweaks in Lightroom. As Jorgen mentioned, skin color is really natural and there is often little need to tweak the colors. I usually just set the black/white point and add some contrast.

Another strong point is the dynamic range which I find very large and easy to work with. Mine is set to 400% all the time. This can sometimes lead to flat pics but it leaves you the option to tweak later. The only problem is when shooting raw with DR at 400% as the raw files come in at 25meg. On the positive side, you can really torture those files before they fall apart.

Somebody mentioned that the menu system is not that good. To be honest, the need to go into the menus are not really necessary unless you want to change the film options all the time. All vital controls such as wb,iso,lightmetering,etc are accessible without going into the menus.

Overall it is a very good camera in its price class, specially today.

I will post a few pics later but have to run now.

William

N

nei1

Thanks TRSmith,William and Jorgen for your replies,looking through flicker there seems to be a lot of good photos taken with the s5 which must mean its being used by serious photographers who value its wide dynamic range.This feature if true is what Im looking for in a move to digital.To work out a native maximum print size do you count 6mp,12mp or somewhere in between?Thanks again for youre time,Neil.
ps.Jorgen Udvang;what a brilliant name!

robmac

Had an older Fuji (S3?) a couple of years ago.
Great DR, skin tones, did have some moire issues but the S5 looks very good.

That said, the Fuji software for RAF conversion takes pathetic to a whole new level.
I mean it makes Nikon NX look like CS3 or Aperture. Imagine what a raw converter shouldn't be, multiply by 2x and that's the Fuji solution.

So, get some test RAF (Fuji RAW) files and play with them in your fave raw converter(s) to see if your happy with the results, because the Fuji OEM solution will NOT make your day.
RAW converters aside, the Fuji approach re: two sizes of photocells (as a proxy for different light-sensitive emulsion grains in the film days) does appear to have some merit re: delivering better DR. I know wedding photogs love it's skin tones.

Edit: On the issue of sizing, I'd assume 6MP, but a better quality 6MP.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What reviewers say is that it's somewhere in between, but here's my take:

I get more details but also more noise and less pleasing colours with a 10MP Nikon D200. With a 12MP D300, I assume I would get even more detail, and possibly less noise than the Fuji, but I haven't tried it yet.

I regularly print A3, inkjet as well as offset print from the S3 files with very good results, but I do that from the 5MP Olympus E-1 files as well. It's a question of subject matter, exposure etc. as well as megapixels.

One more thing: the Fuji sensor is very picky with regards to lenses. Count them as you will, but there are 12 million pixels in there, big and small, and they all want their share of the light. Cheap consumer zooms on my S3 produces cheap consumer images. So, instead of upgrading my camera, I buy lenses. Good ones. And it helps a lot.

Would I buy an S5? I'm considering that right now, and I have a feeling that the answer will be yes. For me, and for the work I do, there's enough detail, and I love the "look" of the images.

Is my name brilliant, really? I got it for free, you know, from my parents, some 52 years ago. Maybe I should tell my father that he is a genius after all. I'm sure he will be happy to hear that :)

N

nei1

Thanks William for the link,this is what I mean,this camera must be nice to use as good images just seem to pop out.The colours are natural too ,they look as I see the world,unlike the new sigma which to my mind has very strange colours and I think difficult to use as Ive not seen many good images from it.
Robmac,thanks for the information,Im going to look into it and try to understand what all that means,theres a lot to learn in this digital world,good to have a new challenge.Jorgen ,my name is about to have 52 years as well,is 52 the mirror image of S5,no?well nearly,near enough to be an omen?maybe.
p.s.Thor as well?it just gets better.

jonoslack

my name is about to have 52 years as well,is 52 the mirror image of S5,no?well nearly,near enough to be an omen?maybe.
p.s.Thor as well?it just gets better.
Bunch of damned children around here . . . . 52 . . . pshaw. Mine's been around for 55 . . . . not sure it's quite up to yours though Jorgen.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It seems to me that there are some ancient folks here! :ROTFL:
That's why I use an S3. It's slow enough for us ancient people to do some meditation while we wait for the camera to get ready for the next shot :p

18 already, Jono? According to my ex-something, I'm still just a desperate 15-year old, hiding in an old man's body :toocool: Guess I have to find another, future, ex-something to get that confirmed :LOL:

N

nei1

better to be old and wise than young and stupid,unfortunatly Ive drawn the old and stupid cardszzzzzzzzzzzzzz:sleep006:damn,fell asleep againzzzzzz

otumay

Pity I came across this thread too late, as it became more involved with mature age:) Well, I'm 54, so I think I qualify. I own an S5Pro for over a year, and love it for its dynamic range. Maybe I should post a couple of shots I've taken with it to prove my point (Hopefully).
Cheers,
Osman

jonoslack

18 already, Jono? According to my ex-something, I'm still just a desperate 15-year old, hiding in an old man's body :toocool: Guess I have to find another, future, ex-something to get that confirmed :LOL:
Much to my not ex something's pleasure my ex something has, apparently, become rather large . . . .

What we really need to be is a toocool 50 something year old embedded in an 18 year old body . . . now, how do we do that?

Lovely shots Osman - I'm afraid I'm a great deal older than you, but if you're interested in my opinion, I'd think that most cameras could manage that dynamic range. . . . OTOH the S5 is obviously the best jpg camera in the known universe :)

woodyspedden

Thanks a bunch:thumbdown:

anyway, you're as old as you feel (18)
Given that I am fast approaching 71 none of you guys can yet talk about being old. And yes Jono I feel young too but thankfully not 18. I wouldn't want to go that far back. My best years were my 30's and 40's so that's how young i try to feel.

Woody