The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your opinion on next Nikon body please

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I attended a photography seminar last night that also included a gear display by a local camera shop. It got me thinking (again) about replacing my D2Xs body.

At the end of the discussion with the dealer, I felt like the D3s is probably the right choice for me. But I'd be interested to hear from any of you what would be your choice and why. I think it's safe to say that the D3x is not an option. But either the D700 or D3s seem worthy. Any thoughts?

Tim

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The advantages of the D700 are smaller size and less cost . A newer version should be released this year (at a minimum to add video) . This is the next FF body to be updated. You can find these used for a little over $2000 so this is a value buy. Has the D3 sensor and big improvement in higher ISO performance. The body is a little small compared to the Nikon AF lenses (assuming no grip is used). Balances very well with the Zeiss ZF lenses. Nice popup flash with a GF puffer useful for fill flash.

The D3S has the new Nikon sensor with even better high ISO performance . It also seems to have better color depth . See Diglloyd s review. Has the pro body size and handles perfectly but the form is big. Balances with all the Nikon lenses. Really hard to get still at the premium price of $5200.

The D3X gets you into the 25MP sensor . High ISo isn t great 1600 works but after that you give up IQ . If the subject isn t moving this is the body to have. You can find these used for $6500 with low activations.

Thats whats available from Nikon in FF. Thom Hogan has a nice website where he talks about the life cycle of the Nikon FX bodies.

The new sensor in the D3S is getting great reviews from many of the pros .

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Had a similar decision a few weeks ago - D3S, D3X or D700.

Actually D3X was a bit out of the way, as I use my H3D39 for high resolution shoots. This left the decision between the D3S and the D700. As I also wanted a more portable camera (even with the relatively big Nikon glass) I decided for the D700. Also the high ISO performance of this camera is more than enough for me and I bought it in the clear context to sell it as soon as a D800 (or however the name will be) would be available - least amount of money wasted.

Talked a lot to my dealer in Vienna, he has kind of a good knowledge what should be coming, and he is pretty sure that this successor of the D700 will come within 2010 - maybe autumn. So till one can actually get it into our hands means then till early 2011 anyway. This was too long time to wait and be without a decent FF body for my Nikon glass :)

Th D3S is great, but I had a D3 and before a D2X and I must say for most of my applications the body was too big to carry around - nature, wildlife etc. But maybe I will go for a D4X if it delivers reasonable higher ISO with at least 24MP.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks gents. You've helped clarify some of my own thinking. The next iteration of the D700 is interesting, unless the primary new features are confined to video. If it also includes the sensor of the D3s, then that's a different story. I have become used to hauling my D2x around and am not concerned with the larger size. So I guess I'm saying I would sacrifice the weight and bulk for that little extra DR offered by the D3s. Pricey though. Think I'll wait to see what happens with the next D700 and then decide.

Thanks again for your input.

Tim

m_driscoll

Tim:

I sold my D3 when the D700 came out. I don't regret it. The D700 has all of the features of the D3 with a smaller body and sensor cleaning (the D3 was always getting dirty). Less fps and not as well balanced with bigger glass, but a great camera. Doesn't seem particularly lighter; just less bulky.

The D700 replacement is rumored to have 15MP. But who knows? Patient person that i am, i've got my name on the next D3s to come into my dealer. I like the feel of the D3s and I believe the new sensor has improved IQ as well as High ISO. The autofocus supposedly is better then any other Nikon and it has sensor cleaning. It'll be great for shooting wildlife in the woods and in flight. Should, also, be good for street and night shooting. My D700 is so fast, you can take 6 shots before anybody notices! I'd like a higher resolution Nikon; but the D3x isn't the one. The D700x might be it.

Have fun making a decision. Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Hacker

I sold the D700 for the D3s. Did not like the 95% VF of the Nikon D700 and no dustbuster. But the size is really nice.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Sure, the D700 has sensor cleaning!

I like the form factor of the D700 body - the D3xyz bodies being always too bulky for me. Agree that their size is good in combination with heavy glass as well it helps to get the whole system more stable. But they are a mess for me to carry around for longer time.

I hope that the next D700 will have at least 18MP - this is what I would expect from a decent DSLR, need not more in this category of camera.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The form factor ...D3 verse D700 is worth considering. No question if you are hiking,street shooting or carrying the camera all day with a set of prime lenses ....the smaller form of the D700 is much appreciated. Having a built in flash looks like an amateur solution but can be a life saver for fill flash . Nothing extra to take. I want D700 sized bodies for street photography . They are almost ready to compete with my M9 s for street but not quite. I need the high ISO for night shooting and the AF for shots when I am moving as well as the subject. But the AF primes aren t quite complete (need 24,35,50,85 or 105 f2 or faster).

The pro sized bodies have several advantages ..first an intergrated grip that allows for full camera control in portrait mode (otherwise you have to buy the grip and then you have about the same form). Second a better viewfinder with 100% verse 95% for the D700. The ergonomics are superb on a D3/D3s/D3x ...balance is near perfect . With say the 24-70/2.8 the D3 balances much better. With the longer glass 70-200 and up it shifts to the D3 . I do find with the D3X I shoot about even 1/3 handheld,1/3 on a monopod and 1/3 on a tripod. The D3 with an L Bracket . I also like the D3 better for weddings with a flash bracket .

But I don t use a MF system so for me its a M system or the Nikon s for most everything. If I shot MF I might favor the smaller form but right now its a tough decison..between d700 or d3 based on size.

Paratom

I also downgrade from D3 and D3x to D700 and for my shooting I like the D700.
Only thing I miss is the 100% Viewfinder.

The smaller size of the D700 makes me feel more compfortable to use it for leasure shooting, friends, family etc.
Great camera.

V

Vivek

I was fondling a D3s yesterday (had a D40x, Panasonic G1s along with that there).

The weight and the handling of the D3s are superb but the size isn't.

If it is about 1/3rd the size of what it is now, it would make it attractive for me.

BTW, the "liveview" is only up to Nikon standards which is about a good 5-7 years behind many others.

m_driscoll

Sold my D700 yesterday and picked up a D3s (somewhat rare to be in stock around here).

I think the pros/cons for each are pretty clear, and well stated above. Compared to the D3s, the D700 is a bit lighter and about 1/3rd smaller, like Vivek noted. Compared to a Leica M or m4/3rd's system, it's still a brick. I don't think the size/weight difference between the D3s and the D700 is a big deal when you're using a 300mm lens or larger. If you're using a small prime, the ergonomics of the D3s might still be an advantage. If you're trying to get stealthy street shots then both are pretty noticeable and autofocus speed is your best ally. In my case, desired performance characteristics trumped form-factor (at least until the next iteration of the D700 comes out!).

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Matt Let us hear how you like your D3S . I ve heard nothing but great reports about the new sensor performance and generally that it exceeds expectations. Roger

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I found the extra flexibility of the D3s to be noticeable even to the D3 I had before. The sensor clean is a nice addition but the sheer usability of camera is a delight. If Nikon would produce a D700 sized camera with the same control layout as the D3 series and the D3s sensor I'd buy one in an instant. The D700 is a great camera but the control differences and the restricted viewfinder were bothersome to me.