The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens defects

felix5616

I am looking at a used nikon 14mm lens. There is a small defect on the front element, either a small coating defect or nick. The owner calims that when tested in use the defect shows no effect on images. What is the consensus on coating defects and their effect on image quality. I know defects can affect prices, but my main concern is image quality. Has anyone extensively tested this?

V

Vivek

AVOID.

Save up a few more dimes and buy a better one.

(If you want explanations/analysis, etc, use google)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I am looking at a used nikon 14mm lens. There is a small defect on the front element, either a small coating defect or nick. The owner calims that when tested in use the defect shows no effect on images. What is the consensus on coating defects and their effect on image quality. I know defects can affect prices, but my main concern is image quality. Has anyone extensively tested this?
Felix

In most situation small defects don t show up in normal images . They might be visible however in strong lighting,night shots etc. But what really matters is the impact on resale. Unless you are getting a really substantial discount from fair market value you should avoid this lens. And even if you are ..think about you being the seller someday trying to explain that the coating issue doesn t affect image quality.

Lars

Like Roger, I'd be more concerned with resell value than image degradation. Make an offer at the level where you think you can resell the lens, and explain to the seller the reason for your low offer - resell value rather than image degradation. Likely the seller won't like your offer but if it's at the right level he just might bite eventually.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Nicks on the front element of the 14mm will hurt you in bright foreground lighting situations. It will most likely manifest itself as random flare aberrations. I had this happen to my 14-24 where only a tiny mark on the front coating was enough to create irregular flare, admittedly under only extreme light situations.

I'd avoid for this reason and also for the mentioned issues of future resale too.

Dustbak

I would avoid that 14mm lens alltogether even if it was in perfect state. A very mediocre lens, if IQ is what is important to you. Get the 14-24.