The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"A-S" Priority on D3

I'd like to recommend this name change to replace "auto iso", as I think it speaks to the photographic process more accurately. When we designate "A" or "S" priority, we refer to the component that remains in the photographer's control, while the other is set automatically by the camera. In "auto iso" we designate the component that the camera is adjusting, and that's a shame. To me the real genius of the D3 is that because of it's excellent image quality right up to 6400, it really allows us to set aperture and shutter for photographic reasons, and let the camera adjust Iso throughout the range of
200-6400. This really is "A-S" priority, and it deserves to be recognized as such! What do you think? best...Peter

jonoslack

Hi Peter
Great to see you here. I hope you're well.

I think the big deal with the 'whatever it's called' is that it throws a new variable into the mix, I can see where you're coming from, but I reckon that if you call it A-S, then it turns into another of the many things hidden in the menu system that nobody ever finds. Auto ISO is pretty self explanatory, we know what it means, all we have to do is to find out how to control it (which isn't that tough you have to admit!)

And the very same to you my friend. I'm not really being literal here, just talking about what we can do with this camera. btw, one thing I hope to see on this very nice forum is conversation amongst we M8/D3 users. My approach to using a DSLR has been changed by my RF work, another reason I went for the Zeiss 100, I'm addicted to MF now. I really think the two systems will live and breath together very well indeed! best...Peter

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Peter if i slipped and did not welcome you than please accept it and glad you are here to join us. One thing we are seeing is a shift in folks choices of gear. Everyone seems to be hanging on to there M8's but adding to there setups. A lot of folks have turned to Nikon lately to increase there range and higher ISO stuff and some of us even took it a step further and are adding Medium Format to our kits. I did both and switched my thinking around a little. So there are a lot of M8/Nikon shooters than before and with the new D3 and D300 and some Zeiss glass options the quality has certainly stepped up from a Nikon POV. I bought 3 Zeiss lenses for my D300 the 28 f2, 50 f2 macro, and 85 1.4. This covers the work stuff for me like events and PR work for my clients . The MF stuff is the ad work and the M8 is in tow for all of it but mostly the workshops , travel and more personal work. But mostly 2 system folks are becoming the norm.

Terry

Hi Peter,
I am one of those who added a D300 to my M8's.
My basic setup on the D300 is to use Aperture priority with Auto ISO and depending on what I am shooting or if I'm using a long lens I simply change the minimum shutter speed in the menu. Seems to be working well for me....However, even with good higher ISOs available, I'm still craving faster glass than what I have. I got spoiled as I never realized how many amazing lenses we get to chose from on the M system until I needed to buy new stuff for Nikon.

Hi Guy- Well, thank you for generating such a nice community here, great site. What MF system did you get into? I am NOT going there with you, really! ;>) I also got 3 Zeiss lenses with the D3, the 35/2 and the 50 and 100/2 makros. Very nice indeed! I already have the 28/1.4 from years back so I'm set there. I just added the 14-24, gotta say it challenges the leica's....but loses! Great zoom, don't get me wrong, but the 24/elmarit is still the best 24 I've seen. And much as I am taken with the D3, if I can only carry one camera, it's the M8 and 28 cron.

TEB- sorry, I don't know your real name but surely know you from LUF. I use manual and auto iso, and exposure comp if needed. Incredibly flexible. Of course one major factor is just how accurate matrix metering is in the D300/D3. Almost too good, too easy! ;>) best...Peter

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well Peter reason i have both the M8 and Nikon just do different things the M8 still is king in the wides no question. I bout the Mamiya ZD and really starting to like it.i am taking a day trip tomorrow and give it a work out so look for images on the MF board. But yes even the d300 is a little sweetie could use a little more DR but still pretty good

jonoslack

I also got 3 Zeiss lenses with the D3, the 35/2 and the 50 and 100/2 makros. Very nice indeed! I already have the 28/1.4 from years back so I'm set there. I just added the 14-24, gotta say it challenges the leica's....but loses! Great zoom, don't get me wrong, but the 24/elmarit is still the best 24 I've seen. And much as I am taken with the D3, if I can only carry one camera, it's the M8 and 28 cron.
I'm jealous of those two macros, but the nikkor 105 is very good.

I agree that the 14-24 challenges the leica's . . .and loses. The 24-70 however is even better - in some cases it's a almost a draw! It also focuses more closely than previous Nikon mid range pro zooms - if you haven't got one, then I'm afraid it's a must!

Of course one major factor is just how accurate matrix metering is in the D300/D3. Almost too good, too easy! ;>) best...Peter
It's almost uncanny isn't it - I've never used automatic metering on any camera before (I do lots of high contrast stuff as you know). The combination of the D3's magic meter, and all that highlight that can be recovered is really unbelievable.

and Guy - you know you did bad - just chop that D300 in and get the real deal :ROTFL::ROTFL:

I'm jealous of those two macros, but the nikkor 105 is very good.

I agree that the 14-24 challenges the leica's . . .and loses. The 24-70 however is even better - in some cases it's a almost a draw! It also focuses more closely than previous Nikon mid range pro zooms - if you haven't got one, then I'm afraid it's a must!
Yeah Jono, just what I needed, you to play last straw. I have a 28-70 that was my workhorse lens, (careful to use horse metaphors with you as I am), and it really is a good performer. But it is susceptible to flair, and I have seen samples from that 24-70, so.... Actually my 28-70 is just back from Nikon with a new AF-S motor, mount, contacts, etc., so a perfect time to sell it. Back to the 14-24, one thing that can't be denied comparing to the M8 wide, is, it's really, really wide!

It's almost uncanny isn't it - I've never used automatic metering on any camera before (I do lots of high contrast stuff as you know). The combination of the D3's magic meter, and all that highlight that can be recovered is really unbelievable.
Magic meter indeed. Like I said, too good!

jonoslack

Yeah Juno, just what I needed, you to play last straw. I have a 28-70 that was my workhorse lens, (careful to use horse metaphors with you as I am), and it really is a good performer. But it is susceptible to flair, and I have seen samples from that 24-70, so.... Actually my 28-70 is just back from Nikon with a new AF-S motor, mount, contacts, etc., so a perfect time to sell it. Back to the 14-24, one thing that can't be denied comparing to the M8 wide, is, it's really, really wide!
Oh Yes Peter :ROTFL: you can't tempt me with the 14-24, I already have it!

My temptation is the Zeiss lenses, but after much anguish I decided on the Nikon 105 VR - I do lots of outside stuff, and the wind is usually blowing, so that continuous autofocus is really useful.

I was starting again from scratch with Nikon, so I got:

14-24
24-70
70-300 VR (I'd read doubtful reports about edges with the 70-200, and I never much liked the lens, so I saved £900, and got an extra 100mm)
Actually, I've been really pleased with this lens - with the high ISO and auto ISO setting it's really easy to get good results.
105 VR macro - fine lens, if not as desirable as the Zeiss.

I'm also tempted by the little CV 58mm f1.4.

Alright - if you get the 24-70
How's that for fair exchange?
Deal. I just put my Grey Color 28-70 up for sale on Nikon Cafe in preparation! Looking forward to sharing results from both lenses Jono. best..Peter

PS - Also just listed on this forum's buy and sell.

Last edited:

harmsr

Workshop Member
Jono,

Don't believe everything you read about the 70-200 on the D3. On one hand I do hope the come out with a new one that addresses the minor issues of this lens, adds VRII, and Nano coatings, but in the mean time I am VERY HAPPY with the lens.

If you shoot in the 70-200 range, there is not a better zoom out there for Nikon. The 70-200 is MUCH better than the 70-300.

The complaints are about some vignetting wide open. Yes, that happens but is normally not noticeable. It was also fixed with Nikon's latest firmware update. They handled that in firmware processing, just like Leica does on the M8.

The other complaint is relative to more open apertures, 200mm, and infinity focus when on the D3. Yes you can notice some softening at this. However, is that how you really use the lens. (I don't!!!)

So my choice is the 70-200 or primes. Once again, my choice of tool is the 70-200 which 98% of the time provides great IQ.

Just another viewpoint.

I normally have the D3, 24-70, 70-200, TC17IIE, and SB800 as a kit which covers virtually everything for me. (Primes of ZF 28/2, ZF 50/2, & Nikon 100/2.8VR can also be thrown in if needed.) When I do airshows, I rent the 200-400.

Best,

Ray

jonoslack

Jono,

Don't believe everything you read about the 70-200 on the D3. On one hand I do hope the come out with a new one that addresses the minor issues of this lens, adds VRII, and Nano coatings, but in the mean time I am VERY HAPPY with the lens.

If you shoot in the 70-200 range, there is not a better zoom out there for Nikon. The 70-200 is MUCH better than the 70-300.

The complaints are about some vignetting wide open. Yes, that happens but is normally not noticeable. It was also fixed with Nikon's latest firmware update. They handled that in firmware processing, just like Leica does on the M8.

The other complaint is relative to more open apertures, 200mm, and infinity focus when on the D3. Yes you can notice some softening at this. However, is that how you really use the lens. (I don't!!!)

So my choice is the 70-200 or primes. Once again, my choice of tool is the 70-200 which 98% of the time provides great IQ.

Just another viewpoint.

I normally have the D3, 24-70, 70-200, TC17IIE, and SB800 as a kit which covers virtually everything for me. (Primes of ZF 28/2, ZF 50/2, & Nikon 100/2.8VR can also be thrown in if needed.) When I do airshows, I rent the 200-400.

Best,

Ray
Hi Ray - I've owned the 70-200, and of course I realise that it's certainly better than the 70-300 . . . . but . . . the 70-300 actually works very well on the D3, and it's 1/4 of the price.

I shoot mostly landscape, and if I'm going to pay £1200 for a lens I'd rather it didn't have vignetting and soft corners (even a small amount of vignetting and slightly soft corners). If I'm going to pay £320 for it (and it has a longer range) then I'll put up with a little imperfection.

Thank you for the clarification though - I certainly never meant to imply that the cheap lens was better

neils

Well here are two examples of why we all seem to value Auto ISO. Sunday night at dinner the day before Antonio Frasconis' 89th birthday. He's a fairly famous wood cut artist and he and his son have been friends of my wifes for 40+ years.

So I have a 35 f2 on the D3, auto iso f2 and 1/80 as min. shutter speed. Early shots are OK but he was more animated than 1/80th could handle and I wanted a little more DOF for a cushion. No problem. Stop down to 2.8 and go for a little more shutter speed and let auto ISO sort it out. It is ISO 2800. Light was small contrasty hanging lights in the kitchen off to the right. I included the art on the side of the frame as it was a piece his late wife did decades ago.

The second shot was taken as in camera sepia B&W with an 85 1.8 at 2.5 and ISO 2000. Contrast in camera was bumped and this is as shot from the JPG card in slot #2.

Both shots are from camera small/fine jpgs.

Auto ISO and the D3 change the rules. I don't care what we call it :)

Neil

neils

Thanks Peter. Yes I'm loving the auto ISO option. Also the 4:5 in camera crop is becoming a favorite. I'd love a firmware update that offered a square crop too someday.

I'm looking forward to making prints.

Neil

Stuart Richardson

I agree, the auto-iso, despite the amateur connotations of the name, is a really superb feature. But it is the D3 itself that makes it worthwhile. For example, I would never use it on the M8 or DMR...or if I did, the top ISO setting would be 320 or 400! On the D3 6400 is perfectly usable and you don't even really start to see noise at all until 800. The only thing I wish is that I could turn it on and off faster...it is annoying for if you are working on and off a tripod often. I suppose I can make it a custom function...another feature I did not think I would really use.