The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

otumay

The spell had been cast. The brew had been drunk. The ship veered off course.
The weather descended and cloaked all around us. ' Land Ahoy ' was gratefully
acknowledged and we put to port. It would be sometime before we would raise anchor...if ever!

Wow to this dreamlike shot, Rayyan...

jsf

I enjoyed the low light level work. I think that Nikon hit a home run with the D3/D700 series. I have the D700, went to a music festival in a Mausoleum, 3200 Iso inside and outside after the sun went down shot at 25,000 ISO and was amazed. Some post processing was obviously necessary but the noise level is minimal considering the conditions. I could never have done this in film. I just converted after 50 years of film, I was over, dreading taking the 8x10 out, then I realized I was dreading taking the 4x5
out, went on vacation and decided not to take the 2 1/4 because the weather was iffy and it just weighed too much, so I had to just accept that I am getting older and bought the D700, I have a bunch of primes from the old days and they work just fine, light weight and simple. Four primes and the camera weigh a bit more than 2 kilos (5 pounds) Not bad to carry around on a vacation or on any shooting day. The work I have seen here is very nice, hope to hang out and learn more. JSF

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Carlos, another great multiplicity shot. This one's really cool -and not without a sense of humor. :)

I enjoyed the low light level work. I think that Nikon hit a home run with the D3/D700 series. I have the D700, went to a music festival in a Mausoleum, 3200 Iso inside and outside after the sun went down shot at 25,000 ISO and was amazed. Some post processing was obviously necessary but the noise level is minimal considering the conditions. I could never have done this in film. I just converted after 50 years of film, I was over, dreading taking the 8x10 out, then I realized I was dreading taking the 4x5
out, went on vacation and decided not to take the 2 1/4 because the weather was iffy and it just weighed too much, so I had to just accept that I am getting older and bought the D700, I have a bunch of primes from the old days and they work just fine, light weight and simple. Four primes and the camera weigh a bit more than 2 kilos (5 pounds) Not bad to carry around on a vacation or on any shooting day. The work I have seen here is very nice, hope to hang out and learn more. JSF
The ISO/noise ratio achieved by the recent Nikon bodies is definitely a slick feature, especially coming from film. Been quite surprised myself, in the same way, after having waited many years to get into digital cameras (and not really encouraged by dealing with many digital files). Good thing the ol' primes are working fine with the FF bodies, too.

Welcome to the board... looking forward to see some of your work soon! :)

Last edited:

m_driscoll

There you are Rayyan. What did you and the kids do today? I asked Ayesha.
Don't know about the kids, but I went to Ginza, the Imperial Palace, and that
beautiful Metro station...Shin..something or the other. 4 million people use it daily.
What did you do Rayyan? Nothing, I said. Went to the Shinto Shrine and sat here.
Come near Ayesha. Do you see the water fall on the stone. Close your eyes and hear it. That was a goldfish flapping its tail. Listen to the water. Tune out the din around you. You see that little hut? Would you like a fish to come there? Will it. Can you hear the birds sing. The breeze sing gently?
After a few hours you do not hear, you start to feel..feel nature.
With millions and millions of people around you in Tokyo. This is what I did all day today. Did you see Ginza?
We were like small kids. Awed. Confused. Thrilled.What to see, what to defer.
The kids went their way. Ayesha had her plans. I did my thing. But then we would get together and share our wonder and delight...
We would just loiter together and the rains would come. Everyone rushed to the subway...

The first cherry blossoms had appeared. The parks were full of photographers and painters. Ayesha would sit next to the painters and sometimes try the brushes.
When the rains cleared, we would just gaze around. Simple pleasure for most. A fairyland for us...

I went searching for stones...they had a story to tell. Maybe for another time:
We shall leave Japan with one last thought. The castle walls were being maintained. Big Concrete blocks stored for fixing. A small tree stood way near the castle walls.
One worker refused the blocks to be placed there. He built a small stone fence around the weak tree. Supported it with wood to keep it from falling. Nurtured it and protected it.
It was his tree, his responsibility. The sun cap is his. Proclaims that the tree
is under his care.
Even simple things have a story to tell. How do I know. I asked in sign language and got to know the ' parent' of the tree.
Thank you for being with us.
Rayyan: Beautiful photos and narrative! The small Japanese gardens fascinate me (we studied historical Japanese architecture and gardens in school a lot). Walk in off a busy modern street and you've moved back hundred of years. There's a very designed, structured, rigor to "nature" in them that is distinctly Japanese . Every rock, plant, tree, fish, and mountain has it's place. This places a responsibility for them on the Japanese as evidenced by your gardener. The subway rush is a very cool photo. And, of course your lovely wife admiring the cherry blossoms is special.

The skies seem clear. The vistas are awesome. The mountain peaks beckon.
Let's set sail and see what lies beyond...
Rayyan: Yes, truly "Awesome". You've moved to the North of Norway?

Lately, I've been confined to the garden. Too hot, too much work, no chance to see/photograph humans.
This little Echinacea blossom's petals are curled up into tubes. Not sure if it's from the excessive heat (for Maine anyway) or some other natural attribute of the plant.

OR, maybe it's because they're just opening?
Tim: Humans are over-rated! Beautiful framing, color and DOF. Low 80's and 70% humidity (insert eek here).

More nice, and fun stuff from the parade, Matt.
Seattle is unfailingly much more colorful through your eyes, and work than in my recollections...
Didn't know either that you were drinking evil sodas over there, thought it was a veggie juice only area. (insert deleted confused here) ...
Corlan: Thank you, Sir. Started drinking Coca Cola at an early age. Haven't had any veggie juice in a while. I drink an 'Odwalla C-Monster" every morning, though

20 miles & a Smoke! (insert deleted wtf here)

Hand Made In Germany..

D3, 24 1.4:)
Steve: (insert wtf here) Well it was only 20 miles! Should be having a brewski, too. Nice photos with the 24. I like his style. Not a total bicycle fashionista (unless he shaved before he started the ride?). Pretty Carbon frame. Continental tires?

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Very nice for framing,mood & suspense!:)
Rayyan: +1, my friend. (insert thumbup here)

Great bike wheel shot Steve! And I really wish I could smoke and exercise. Those days are waaaaay gone.
Steve: It was a great shot.
Tim: Me too! Although, when I was in college, we'd smoke before the run, ride, or game. :LOL:

My friend's band: Kill for the Kingdom.
Nikon F4, 50mm f/1.2, Neopan 1600 @800.
Jeremy: Great photo! Nice capture.:thumbup:

A quiet day by the border...
Border towns often have a special atmosphere. That one was peaceful but quite busy with many tourists enjoying the afternoon sun by the river. Just driving by back from a work trip... stopped by and took a couple of snapshots, from the bridge.
Some rent boats for a stroll down the river:
Then, have a light kiss:
Means of transportation:

Entering the m.driscoll's new project:

(not sure i got the assignment right :confused:... or did i? :D)
A lot of old architecture. For that, sometimes you can just follow the arrow:
In the end though, one has to get back to camp:

It was a nice day :)
Corlan: Nice snaps! Along with the old buildings, I like these three. BTW, I've moved on. That was yesterday's "project".

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

The fog forced other ships to make port. It got worse before it got better...
At last, news arrived that we could set sail, and we upped anchor; passing mountains and the clouds...
The mountains still had snow on them; they stood tall mingling with the clouds...
Now that we are home, we can tell the tale. Memory is hazy. It could have been a slave ship. Felt like it.
Any food we got, we had to find it first. We ate strange animals...
In the evenings they forced us all into a room, lit some fires and made us eat
strange things. They wanted us to drink colored brew. We refused, they got angry and gave us a little water. People were afraid, they talked in whispers..
They would count us all to make sure none had escaped...
They kept us apart, so we couldn't get to know people. They put us far away in a corner, high up. Every so often they would come to check on us. Bring us food. They wanted to fatten us for sacrifice to their gods.
We were different, the gods would be pleased. We prayed for deliverance..
Rayyan: :ROTFL: Excellent! The fog shot is brilliant is brilliant. The mountains actually seem more forbidding then your Himalaya photos. I think your framing without foreground contributes to that. The Norwegian Cruise Line (?) staff got their training on prison hulks (just ask Jono). You're extremely lucky to have made it back!

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

No, no Matt. Place Pigalle is something different. :rolleyes: :p
More seriously, lovely shots. The one quoted above stands out to my eyes as an instant classic.
Like the different perspective on the market a lot, too.
(no comment from you, so i suspect i got the assignment wrong :confused:) :ROTFL:
Thought the same thing.
Did Matt traded in his last bag? (along with emptying some college fund) :deadhorse:
Corlan: It was my wife's birthday, but, we couldn't go to Paris for dinner (she couldn't get enough time off!).
Thanks for the comment. I wasn't sure about that one at first.
Nope, you got it right, but the assignment's changed!
Didn't sell anything. Just opened the drawer and rummaged around. No emptying a college fund, either. We paid for four years at Harvey Mudd College and now UM pays her to go to Graduate school.:thumbs::D

Matt: +1; Also yes, Place Pigalle is something indeed different.:eek: Not too far
removed from Rue St. Denise ( spelling ! ).;)
The 28/1.4 has the hand ground aspherical trademark.
Rayyan: as both you and Corlan noted, the original Place Pigalle was "different". This restaurant wasn't always nice, either. It was a hole in the wall bar behind the Market (I've some photos of the exterior somewhere) in the early 70's when i discovered it. It's colorful history is right in line with it's namesake. See this: http://www.placepigalle-seattle.com/history.php

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Carlos, another great multiplicity shot. This one's really cool -and not without a sense of humor. :)
The ISO/noise ratio achieved by the recent Nikon bodies is definitely a slick feature, especially coming from film. Been quite surprised myself, in the same way, after having waited many years to get into digital cameras (and not really encouraged by dealing with many digital files). Good thing the ol' primes are working fine with the FF bodies, too.
Welcome to the board... looking forward to see some of your work soon! :)
Carlos: +1. :thumbup:
JSF: Welcome.
Corlan: Thanks for writing this for me. :LOL:

Cheers, Matt

rayyan

Spectacular, Rayyan, absolutely spectacular. Somewhere in Northern Norway, but where? (And why didn't I think of that great effect when I was still living there??)
Jorgen: Thank you kindly. Maybe you lived in such a beautiful country that
you became used to the beauty and found nothing unusual with it. For us it was magical.

Wow to this dreamlike shot, Rayyan...
Osman: Thank you my friend.

Rayyan: Beautiful photos and narrative! The small Japanese gardens fascinate me (we studied historical Japanese architecture and gardens in school a lot). Walk in off a busy modern street and you've moved back hundred of years. There's a very designed, structured, rigor to "nature" in them that is distinctly Japanese . Every rock, plant, tree, fish, and mountain has it's place. This places a responsibility for them on the Japanese as evidenced by your gardener. The subway rush is a very cool photo. And, of course your lovely wife admiring the cherry blossoms is special.

Rayyan: Yes, truly "Awesome". You've moved to the North of Norway?

Cheers, Matt

Matt: I too love Japanese gardens and the serenity they bring. Thank you
for your informative post.

Rayyan: :ROTFL: Excellent! The fog shot is brilliant is brilliant. The mountains actually seem more forbidding then your Himalaya photos. I think your framing without foreground contributes to that. The Norwegian Cruise Line (?) staff got their training on prison hulks (just ask Jono). You're extremely lucky to have made it back!

Cheers, Matt

Rayyan: +1 :thumbup::thumbs::salute:
Matt: Grateful for your kindness pal.:salute:

rayyan

So, Anchorage is almost half way to Beijing and twice as far away as San Diego. Today's factoid. No quiz. Cheers, Matt.

D3s; 28mm f/1.4; 1/250s @ f/1.6; +2/3 EV; ISO 800

Matt: Love the factoids you share with us. Honestly brings a sparkle.:salute:

The 28/1.4 is in very very good hands Matt. That is a lovely doc. shot. Interesting for the amount of news on offer! and the beauty of the colors and framing.:thumbup:

The distances involved might not be a deterrent.

etrigan63

Thanks guys. I have to give kudos to my assistant (my 12 er, almost 13-yr old daughter), Melissa who helped me get the subject in the right positions on the multiplicity shot. It's a lot easier with a second pair of eyes helping you coordinate things. Plus, she held the reflector quite well.

shtarka1

Rayyan: Beautiful photos and narrative! The small Japanese gardens fascinate me (w

Steve: (insert wtf here) Well it was only 20 miles! Should be having a brewski, too. Nice photos with the 24. I like his style. Not a total bicycle fashionista (unless he shaved before he started the ride?). Pretty Carbon frame. Continental tires?

Cheers, Matt

Thanks Matt! Yes Continental Gator Sew Ups. Do You Ride?