The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Lloyd

Ok, race report from the weekend. Mimi's still in recovery mode from the Boston Marathon, but entered a local women-only sprint triathlon, mainly because she was honored as the Woman of Steel award winner last year (given each year to someone who has overcome obstacles and changed her life through triathlon... there were more than 90 nominees, btw), and as the prior year's honoree, she was asked to speak at the Expo the night before the race, so she felt she should participate. She had NO expectations, results-wise, going in to the race.

It was very cold (39F at race start) and rainy, so the swim was cancelled (wisely... they would have had many women hypothermic, had they ridden their bikes after swimming). They made it a run-bike-run (one mile run, 14 mile bike, 5K run), and started in waves of 100, each wave starting 30 seconds after the one before it. Mimi started in the sixth wave, so there were about 600 women ahead of her. (Each person wears a timing chip, and their time starts as they cross the start line, so it's fair).

Long story short: During the race, she made up ground and passed more than 590 women. She was the 7th woman to cross the finish line, despite having to make up the delayed start, and finished 5th overall (out of ~800) in the final results. The closest woman to her, age-wise in the top 15, was 11 years her junior! She won her age group by almost 7 minutes.

Here on the bike (I've teased her mercilessly about those red gloves, but it did help me spot her.):

Blowing by much younger women on the run:

My favorite shot of the day; with about a half mile to go, clearly suffering, but flogging herself to get to the finish:

All with the D3, 70-200/2.8 VRII @f2.8 ISO 1000

Last edited:

rayyan

So many beautiful photos in this thread now. Unfortunately, I don't have time to visit often. Here's my humble contribution anyway; the Central World shopping mall, or what's left of it.

And some red, the other kind.

D80 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.2

Jorgen: WoW. Iconic image.:thumbs:

Regards.

rayyan

Apparently, someone didn't get the memo... IT'S MAY!!!:angry::angry:
Lloyd: beautiful colors. Wish we had some of that!

My favorite shot of the day; with about a half mile to go, clearly suffering, but flogging herself to get to the finish:

Lloyd: A woman of valor. A woman worth more than her weight in gold. The
effort and courage is superbly captured. But I do raise my hat to your wonderful and courageous Mimi.:thumbs:

Regards.

Lloyd

Lloyd: beautiful colors. Wish we had some of that!
Love to send you some, Rayyan. It's currently UP to 5C! (The predicted high for two days from now is 26C, however. Much more seasonal.)

Lloyd: A woman of valor. A woman worth more than her weight in gold. The
effort and courage is superbly captured. But I do raise my hat to your wonderful and courageous Mimi.:thumbs:

Regards.
Thank you, my friend. I'm particularly honored, as I know you to be one who is well acquainted with what constitutes a "woman of valor". We are, you and I, very fortunate (no, make that very blessed) men.

m_driscoll

Matt: Wow...truly beautiful. The first one's color ( what do you call it ? ) is
something that really needs superb craft to get correct. The details in both
of these flower shots is amazing. I could almost touch them and feel them.
Well well done.:thumbup:
Regards.
Hi Matt: The first one is Oslo. The second one is from Bergen indeed. Lovely place Matt. Thanks.
rayyan: :D Thank you. That's a pretty good "non-nikon" lens. The closest description of the color is "blue violet". Norway's beautiful (even if the people are boring according to Lief :LOL:). Maybe someday, I'll get to go there. Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

rayyan

Love to send you some, Rayyan. It's currently UP to 5C! (The predicted high for two days from now is 26C, however. Much more seasonal.)

Thank you, my friend. I'm particularly honored, as I know you to be one who is well acquainted with what constitutes a "woman of valor". We are, you and I, very fortunate (no, make that very blessed) men.
Lloyd: Indeed we ( you and me ) are blessed. let's celebrate with some
freshly baked bread straight from the mud oven!!

To us and them :thumbs:

m_driscoll

A few more from Pergamon, this time from the Acropolis. D700 and Nikkor 50/1.4.
Best, Osman

Osman: Beautiful! Your images give life to Turkey and views of the land and people that are not seen here. :thumbs:

So many beautiful photos in this thread now. Unfortunately, I don't have time to visit often. Here's my humble contribution anyway; the Central World shopping mall, or what's left of it.
D80 with 70-300 ED @ 165mm and f/8

And some red, the other kind.
Jorgen: Great captures. Hopefully some normalcy (?) is returning? Although, the status quo has its own problems.

+1 Beautiful
Lloyd: Thanks!

Apparently, someone didn't get the memo... IT'S MAY!!!:angry::angry:
(Took these from my front porch moments ago)
D300, 17-55/2.8
Lloyd: Didn't you need more snow cover in the mountains for Summer skiing?

Nice Family & PP Leif!
Spectacular Color Assortment Matt!
Very Beautiful, Osman!
Excellent Jorgen!
C'Mon Dude...It's May! Come Back Home Where It's 90 & Blazing Hot Like The Celtics!:D Beautiful Set Partner!
Steve: Thank you! Who are the Celtics? Is that the Dublin soccer team? :confused:

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Ok, race report from the weekend. Mimi's still in recovery mode from the Boston Marathon, but entered a local women-only sprint triathlon, mainly because she was honored as the Woman of Steel award winner last year (given each year to someone who has overcome obstacles and changed her life through triathlon... there were more than 90 nominees, btw), and as the prior year's honoree, she was asked to speak at the Expo the night before the race, so she felt she should participate. She had NO expectations, results-wise, going in to the race.

It was very cold (39F at race start) and rainy, so the swim was cancelled (wisely... they would have had many women hypothermic, had they ridden their bikes after swimming). They made it a run-bike-run (one mile run, 14 mile bike, 5K run), and started in waves of 100, each wave starting 30 seconds after the one before it. Mimi started in the sixth wave, so there were about 600 women ahead of her. (Each person wears a timing chip, and their time starts as they cross the start line, so it's fair).

Long story short: During the race, she made up ground and passed more than 590 women. She was the 7th woman to cross the finish line, despite having to make up the delayed start, and finished 5th overall (out of ~800) in the final results. The closest woman to her, age-wise in the top 15, was 11 years her junior! She won her age group by almost 7 minutes.

Here on the bike (I've teased her mercilessly about those red gloves, but it did help me spot her.):

Lloyd: Awesome!!! Nice photos and Mimi's an inspiration to us sedentary types who spend too much time posting on the computer. Congratulations to her! :thumbs:

Cheers, Matt

leif e

Lloyd; my sympathies! Snow now: wrong! :eek:

Matt; lutefisk? You don´t like fish in soap???:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

leif e

Lloyd

Lloyd: Indeed we ( you and me ) are blessed. let's celebrate with some
freshly baked bread straight from the mud oven!!

To us and them :thumbs:
Rayyan: Looks like a treat. Love some. And yes, no disputing it, blessed beyond measure. :thumbs:

Arne Hvaring

I can only echo Jorgen's words: so many lovely images in this thread and too little time to visit.
Here's a small contribution, taken just outside my house.
D3, 2,8/105 Micro-Nikkor Ais.

m_driscoll

Lloyd; my sympathies! Snow now: wrong! :eek:
Matt; lutefisk? You don´t like fish in soap???:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
leif e
leif: No, not so much. The Ballard neighborhood in Seattle was where all of the Scandinavians settled a hundred+ years ago. They still have a "Viking Seafood Fest". Lot's of lutefisk!

Well... Snowbird has a 123" base, and 76 of 80 run still open, so not so much!
Thanks Matt. That way for me, for sure. :D
Lloyd: OK, you probably didn't need the snow. :LOL:

Cheers, Matt

shtarka1

Bravo!!!! Awesome!! Amazing!!! Inspiring!!! Oh And The Photography Aint Bad Either!;)