Site Sponsors
Page 18 of 106 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Corlan....Killer Set! Partial To The B&W Of Course But You Are Rockin It Brotha! Is That Gorgeous,Super Clean Contax A New Purchase? It Should Come With A Triple X Warning! So Hot!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Corian: Gorgeous find on your HD. I love bw. But in the ' backyard ' I see a masterpiece. Bokeh or not it is superb.

As to the Contax...I am sure in your hands it must have produced lovely
    results.

Regards.
    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Corlan....Killer Set! Partial To The B&W Of Course But You Are Rockin It Brotha! Is That Gorgeous,Super Clean Contax A New Purchase? It Should Come With A Triple X Warning! So Hot!

Thanks Rayyan, thanks Steve.

Glad you liked the B&W, i know it's not much but everytime i look at it there's a little something happening, really don't know why.

The Contax is a long story. In a few words i had to let it go because i couldn't really justify having it while waiting for an opportunity on a DB that wasn't showing fast enough (and i specifically wanted an Aptus). The new pricing for digital backs was not already taken into account by the second hand sellers (most wanted 7 to 12K for older gear when the new II-5 was merely around 7K here... only Phase backs were available for relatively cheap, but...). Then a super opportunity showed up, meaning basically for me to swap the D700 and a few idle non-photography stuff for the D3X, so... it was a smooth and reasonnable choice. The C645 is a great camera blessed with fantastic lenses from Zeiss -i'll get back there whenever humanly possible. Knowing that i'll still want to keep a D3X or a D700 or one of the new equivalent to come, on the side. So little available funds, so many great (and expensive) gear out there...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Corian: Gorgeous find on your HD. I love bw. But in the ' backyard ' I see
    a masterpiece. Bokeh or not it is superb.

As to the Contax...I am sure in your hands it must have produced lovely
    results.

Regards.
    +1 from here. Excellent work all around. (BTW, do you sharpen those jpegs for web viewing? If so, perhaps that is what's killing the bokeh?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    +1 from here. Excellent work all around. (BTW, do you sharpen those jpegs for web viewing? If so, perhaps that is what's killing the bokeh?)
    Thanks Lloyd
    And no, i actually don't sharpen the jpegs (except on specific occasion where it makes sense).
    IMO there's a dual cause behind what's showed on the last page. First off, of course is the size reduction, where 1/ obviously you cramp up more info using much less pixels 2/ PS doesn't do the best job (and the same for uprezing) not having the best algorythm for the task out there. Then, on the jpeg side of things, the format is simply destructive and the compression mode even at max output values (less possible compression) has to destroy a lot of information using an average clustering method. Not good, especially for transitions (hence, "busy bokeh" for example). We all know that, and even though it's a huge commodity on the web for exchanging information and despite what the industry's trying to sell us, in most cases there's a trade-off in quality involved.

In the printing business we're more and more often confronted to people swearing that you don't see the difference between using a TIFF or its jpeg counterpart on a full spread magazine page. Well, untill you prove them wrong. Of course again the visible difference is more or less critical depending on the type and structure of the photo/layout involved, but on full page products ads we always insist on them (publisher, agency...) using the TIF. Particularly on close up products pieces featuring a lot of subtle light (levels) and tone transitions, the gap in quality is huge, even on a magazine -full- page. Been there, done that, many times.

Well, all this doesn't matter much here where we share photos mostly for fun, though it sometimes feels right to use caution when using such files to make quality statements, esp. re bokeh with busy backgrounds.

But we all know that... it's just sometimes a bit frustrating to see a nice file deteriorate and being helpless.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Thanks Lloyd
    And no, i actually don't sharpen the jpegs (except on specific occasion where it makes sense).
    IMO there's a dual cause behind what's showed on the last page. First off, of course is the size reduction, where 1/ obviously you cramp up more info using much less pixels 2/ PS doesn't do the best job (and the same for uprezing) not having the best algorythm for the task out there. Then, on the jpeg side of things, the format is simply destructive and the compression mode even at max output values (less possible compression) has to destroy a lot of information using an average clustering method. Not good, especially for transitions (hence, "busy bokeh" for example). We all know that, and even though it's a huge commodity on the web for exchanging information and despite what the industry's trying to sell us, in most cases there's a trade-off in quality involved.

In the printing business we're more and more often confronted to people swearing that you don't see the difference between using a TIFF or its jpeg counterpart on a full spread magazine page. Well, untill you prove them wrong. Of course again the visible difference is more or less critical depending on the type and structure of the photo/layout involved, but on full page products ads we always insist on them (publisher, agency...) using the TIF. Particularly on close up products pieces featuring a lot of subtle light (levels) and tone transitions, the gap in quality is huge, even on a magazine -full- page. Been there, done that, many times.

Well, all this doesn't matter much here where we share photos mostly for fun, though it sometimes feels right to use caution when using such files to make quality statements, esp. re bokeh with busy backgrounds.

But we all know that... it's just sometimes a bit frustrating to see a nice file deteriorate and being helpless.
    Hi Corlan. That's a good explanation, and I've certainly seen the same. Just today I posted an image of my sister-in-law and her granddaughter over in the digital Leica thread, which looks good there, but the large print I made of it is significantly more impressive.

My question about sharpening really came about from something I've started doing when posting images with a lot of bokeh in them. If I generate the web-sized image in PS, I run my web-sharpening action on a duplicate layer, and the put a "reveal" (black) layer mask over it, and paint in the areas I want sharp, leaving the rest unsharpened. That leave a more pleasing bokeh (still short of the full-res image, but better). I don't do that when generating the web-sized image from Lightroom, as I haven't yet figured out how do it without going in to PS. That was the basis for my question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Corlan. That's a good explanation, and I've certainly seen the same. Just today I posted an image of my sister-in-law and her granddaughter over in the digital Leica thread, which looks good there, but the large print I made of it is significantly more impressive.

My question about sharpening really came about from something I've started doing when posting images with a lot of bokeh in them. If I generate the web-sized image in PS, I run my web-sharpening action on a duplicate layer, and the put a "reveal" (black) layer mask over it, and paint in the areas I want sharp, leaving the rest unsharpened. That leave a more pleasing bokeh (still short of the full-res image, but better). I don't do that when generating the web-sized image from Lightroom, as I haven't yet figured out how do it without going in to PS. That was the basis for my question.
    I'm with you, the selective mask is quite a useful asset for sharpening in certain cases (off hand i'm thinking "flower" and macro in general).

Talking about LR, following your advice (an apparent good results) i remember saying a couple of weeks ago that i'd give the new beta version a try. Downloaded it at the time, installed it... found it a bit complex at first sight and then kinda forgot about it. Need to put my mind into it, soon. Do you know which is the ACR version # equivalent to LR3 Beta RAW engine? I might start with the RAW conversion alone for the preliminary tests (as mentionned before C1 is not as good with the D3X than with the D700 and D3... and NX2 performs well but is definitely not the best programmed piece of SW (note: strong understatement ). Don't know if that was included in the latest CS4 update released for PS (11.0.2 // ACR 5.4) that we recently installed... .

If you have the info handy... thanks!

edit: btw, just had a look at your images on the M thread. Again, what a beautiful family you have. Or is it the photographer? Well, a good part of both, for sure.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you, the selective mask is quite a useful asset for sharpening in certain cases (off hand i'm thinking "flower" and macro in general).

Talking about LR, following your advice (an apparent good results) i remember saying a couple of weeks ago that i'd give the new beta version a try. Downloaded it at the time, installed it... found it a bit complex at first sight and then kinda forgot about it. Need to put my mind into it, soon. Do you know which is the ACR version # equivalent to LR3 Beta RAW engine? I might start with the RAW conversion alone for the preliminary tests (as mentionned before C1 is not as good with the D3X than with the D700 and D3... and NX2 performs well but is definitely not the best programmed piece of SW (note: strong understatement ). Don't know if that was included in the latest CS4 update released for PS (11.0.2 // ACR 5.4) that we recently installed... .

If you have the info handy... thanks!

edit: btw, just had a look at your images on the M thread. Again, what a beautiful family you have. Or is it the photograph? Well, a good part of both, for sure.
    Thanks for that last, Corlan. I'm blessed far beyond what I deserve, for sure.

I believe the ACR equivalent is 5.7. As for the LR3 Beta 2, I find I quite like it. A little fiddly still, but I'm very much looking forward to the full release version. Those images on the Leica thread were all processed in LR3 Beta 2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for that last, Corlan. I'm blessed far beyond what I deserve, for sure.

I believe the ACR equivalent is 5.7. As for the LR3 Beta 2, I find I quite like it. A little fiddly still, but I'm very much looking forward to the full release version. Those images on the Leica thread were all processed in LR3 Beta 2.
    Ok thanks Lloyd. Not the same beast then (i had suspicions, that's why i asked... couldn't honestly see a difference).
    So i guess i either have to find a way to update ACR in PS (not sure it's available for now)... or simply pluck up my courage and look into the LR3 B seriously.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'll sneak in with these. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. D3s; 16-35mm f/4 VR; 16mm; 1/640s @ f/8; ISO 250

2. D3s; 16-35mm f/4 VR; 35mm; 1/500s @ f/8; ISO 250

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt....So Nice...Both Of Them!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks Lloyd. Not the same beast then (i had suspicions, that's why i asked... couldn't honestly see a difference).
    So i guess i either have to find a way to update ACR in PS (not sure it's available for now)... or simply pluck up my courage and look into the LR3 B seriously.
    Corlan: Nice photos.
    Corlan/Lloyd: Interesting dialogue.

Thank you both.

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I concur!. And, I'm impressed how little distortion there is at 16mm! Nice.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Steve: Thank you!

Cheers, Matt.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post

1. D3s; 16-35mm f/4 VR; 16mm; 1/640s @ f/8; ISO 250

2. D3s; 16-35mm f/4 VR; 35mm; 1/500s @ f/8; ISO 250

Matt: Like Steve said, very nice...both of them.

Regards.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I concur!. And, I'm impressed how little distortion there is at 16mm! Nice.
    Lloyd: Thanks. You can see the stretched foot of the lady at the left in 16mm; but, it's not objectionable.

Matt: Like Steve said, very nice...both of them.
    Regards.
    Rayyan: Thank you!

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

There were 8 of us. Ayesha, me, my 2 sons and 4 grandchildren. It was a long
    flight. seemed much longer than the 4.5 hrs to Leonardo da Vinci. have you changed planes at Leonardo da Vinci. Don't.

The kids ( smallest ones ) had wanted to chase windmills. I too!!

We were headed to MAD. Better known to saner folk as the Madrid Barajas Airport.

Are they all your kids? No.
    How many passports? 8.
    5 different nationalities.? Not mine. Me and wife have the same nationality.

The others?

Senor, can you keep them for 2/3 weeks here. Por Favor Senor. Please.
    I shall collect them on my way back.

No sir, against the rules. You brought them, you keep them.

Welcome to Madrid, sir. Gracias Senor. Very much Gracias.

p.s I have been told by Ayesha, it is 4 not 5 nationalities. Difficult to keep track. MAD, I tell you. MAD!
    Last edited by rayyan; 8th June 2010 at 01:47.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

flight. seemed much longer than the 4.5 hrs to Leonardo da Vinci. have you changed planes at Leonardo da Vinci. Don't.

We were headed to MAD. Better known to saner folk as the Madrid Barajas Airport.

How many passports? 8.

The others?

p.s I have been told by Ayesha, it is 4 not 5 nationalities. Difficult to keep track. MAD, I tell you. MAD!
    Another Smokin Shot Rayyan! Will You Adopt Me & Take Me With You Please?!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

How many passports? 8.

The others?

Yes, I recall that madness... the last time we traveled with the whole family!! (Ah, Madrid. Although I prefer Sevilla, I'd take it! Actually, I take a trip anywhere just now!)

Post Thanks / Like

Taken the same day as the photo of our grandson, posted earlier...

Our granddaughter Hafwen had mild pnuemonia and was feeling very sorry for herself.

Attachment 31729
    Last edited by jlancasterd; 13th September 2012 at 13:41.
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlancasterd View Post
    Taken the same day as the photo of our grandson, posted earlier...

Our granddaughter Hafwen had mild pnuemonia and was feeling very sorry for herself.

Attachment 31729
    Pneumonia! I'm feeling sorry for her too. Lovely girl; beautiful eyes.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

+ 1. Hope she recovers soon!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

John: +1. Here's to Speedy recovery.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you work hard grand dad, asked Mariam.

Yes. Very very hard.

What do you do? She came back.

I go to London, Paris, Tokyo, New York....meeting people. I said.

Where did you take this picture? I didn't, I said. Someone else did.

Where? London, I think.

You get a lot of money grandad? I do ok, I said.

Is this why you get tired, grand dad?, you work very hard.

Most people work much much harder than me Mariam. Much harder.

Never, said Mariam. You are my grand dad. You work the hardest. You are the best. I love you too sweetheart, I said.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Very very hard.

Where? London, I think.

Never, said Mariam. You are my grand dad. You work the hardest. You are the best. I love you too sweetheart, I said.
    Good reminder, my friend.

(Aren't granddaughters the best at making us feel important?) By the way, we gave Osman his due for looking like a younger Sean Connery. I'd say Omar Sharif only wishes he were so handsome!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

(Aren't granddaughters the best at making us feel important?) By the way, we gave Osman his due for looking like a younger Sean Connery. I'd say Omar Sharif only wishes he were so handsome!!
    Lloyd: The best thing that happened to me is my grand children. I am sure for you too.

Mariam does make me feel like a king.

Thanks Lloyd.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve: Thanks. What say you come along with us to the Smokey Mountains.

We are planning. Lovely, Lovely place on earth.

Regards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Matt, these are super nice. Probably among your best in the area.
    Beyond the reamarkably wide perspective, thanks to composition, color and movement the first one gives a sense of lifelike presence. Love it.
    The B&W has a cinematographic quality to it, reminding of a crew of actors who had waited your signal to set themselves altogether in motion towards the camera. And the diversity of characters (almost too good to be true) is a nice touch. Don't know how you got the shot, but it is awesome.

no comment

oh well, maybe one: grandson for a bodygiard, two in one. Maybe not an expensive proposition, after all...

That said, lovely shot, Rayyan.
    Looking at it i can't help thinking how hard it becomes nowadays to distinguish a city from another looking at a street photograph like yours. Especially in Europe, they all start to look the same... Couple of decades ago you could at least make the country out at first glance. Hm.

I'll second (or third) that. And Nice photo, John.

I'll second that, too

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Very very hard.

Where? London, I think.

Dapper, Sharif Like, Regal & Debonair! Mr Clooney Has Nothing On You My Friend! Wonderful Images!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That said, lovely shot, Rayyan.
    Looking at it i can't help thinking how hard it becomes nowadays to distinguish a city from another looking at a street photograph like yours. Especially in Europe, they all start to look the same... Couple of decades ago you could at least make the country out at first glance. Hm.
    Corian: I agree with you fully. Usually I try to arrive for a good night's
    sleep before work next morn. It is the same everywhere!!

Dapper, ..... Wonderful Images!
    Steve. Thank you.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Please say hello to Raneem..we call her bug's eyes!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Please say hello to Raneem..

[/CENTER]
    Hello Raneem!
    Isn't she gorgeous?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Raneem!
    Isn't she gorgeous?
    Hi Corian. Thank you.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Adorable with Beautiful Eyes!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Corian. Thank you.
    Corian, Steve: Thanks guys. Just to give a little context:

The one on your right is Raneem's mother. She is a doctorate in something
    weird.

The one one the left is Hamza and mariam's mother. She is a medical doctor.
    A consultant specialist in Cancer Diagnosis and Management in soft tissue
    Lymphomas.

p.s nikon F2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Truly priceless!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

weird.

Lymphomas.

p.s nikon F2.
    Beautiful, and accomplished. Unbeatable combination.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

+1!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Rayyan: Great story and night shot! Shiny and colorful. Flown in to Da Vinci and i can imagine what a transfer would be like. Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

+ 1. Hope she recovers soon!
    John: +1, +1, +1. Beautiful girl and photo. she does look miserable. Cheers, Matt.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Very very hard.
    Where? London, I think.
    rayyan: Two very different photos; one as Lloyd said a reminder; and the other showing that you really are "tall dark and handsome" (part of the reason, all of the ladies smile for you!). Just kidding, your empathy towards the people you meet and photograph is clear. BTW, it's hard for me to imagine people employed to make little rocks out of big rocks by hand. Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, these are super nice. Probably among your best in the area.
    Beyond the reamarkably wide perspective, thanks to composition, color and movement the first one gives a sense of lifelike presence. Love it.
    The B&W has a cinematographic quality to it, reminding of a crew of actors who had waited your signal to set themselves altogether in motion towards the camera. And the diversity of characters (almost too good to be true) is a nice touch. Don't know how you got the shot, but it is awesome. ...
    Corlan: Thank you! I set out to try that lens, as much as I could, at it's extremes. The light was red. I looked at the people across from me, and when it turned red, i took some photos. The AF is very fast and accurate. Not a stealthy setup, but fast. Nice set of characters was a plus. Cheers, Matt.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

weird.
    Lymphomas. p.s nikon F2.
    Rayyan: Beautiful little girl; as were her mother and aunt. Little girls grow up way to fast! "Bugs eyes", probably won't be a good nickname as she gets older. Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

D3s; 16-35mm f/4 Vr; 35mm; 1/320s @ f/8; ISO 250

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This is flat gorgeous, Matt! Just jumps off the screen. I like the composition, and there is a certain timelessness to the image. Great work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Corlan: Thank you! I set out to try that lens, as much as I could, at it's extremes. The light was red. I looked at the people across from me, and when it turned red, i took some photos. The AF is very fast and accurate. Not a stealthy setup, but fast. Nice set of characters was a plus. Cheers, Matt.

Thought about a red light, though it works very well for several reasons. First you can't see it (well, i couldn't) and no pedestrian marks either, then the paved street doesn't look much like cars are passing by, finally the people are distributed over a wider zone that what you'd expect from a regular light crossing for a relatively small street like that one.

You could make a project out of this, taking regular pictures (a day?) at similar hours, not unlike Auggie in Smoke (fabulous set btw)... just a bit less random, with the red light constraint -the outcome could (would) turn out great. Book material?

edit: like the last one posted above, too. This kit seems to give quite interesting results for B&W taken in bright light.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This is flat gorgeous, Matt! Just jumps off the screen. I like the composition, and there is a certain timelessness to the image. Great work.
    Lloyd: Thank you!

Thought about a red light, though it works very well for several reasons. First you can't see it (well, i couldn't) and no pedestrian marks either, then the paved street doesn't look much like cars are passing by, finally the people are distributed over a wider zone that what you'd expect from a regular light crossing for a relatively small street like that one.
    You could make a project out of this, taking regular pictures (a day?) at similar hours, not unlike Auggie in Smoke (fabulous set btw)... just a bit less random, with the red light constraint -the outcome could (would) turn out great. Book material?
    edit: like the last one posted above, too. This kit seems to give quite interesting results for B&W taken in bright light.
    Corlan: Thanks re: the second photo. It's an intersection where everyone crosses, in every direction, on green. At this side of the market, people spread out a bit across the alley. Usually, it's anarchy. I googled Auggie and smoke. I missed that film. Have to check it out.

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I recall that madness... the last time we traveled with the whole family!! (Ah, Madrid. Although I prefer Sevilla, I'd take it! Actually, I take a trip anywhere just now!)

Rayyan: Great story and night shot! Shiny and colorful. Flown in to Da Vinci and i can imagine what a transfer would be like. Cheers, Matt

rayyan: Two very different photos; one as Lloyd said a reminder; and the other showing that you really are "tall dark and handsome" (part of the reason, all of the ladies smile for you!). Just kidding, your empathy towards the people you meet and photograph is clear. BTW, it's hard for me to imagine people employed to make little rocks out of big rocks by hand. Cheers, Matt
    Steve, Lloyd, Matt: Thanks a bunch folks. You are kind. Sometimes it is more important which airport one flies into than with whom

Regards.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    +1
    Truly priceless!
    +1!
    Rayyan: Beautiful little girl; as were her mother and aunt. Little girls grow up way to fast! "Bugs eyes", probably won't be a good nickname as she gets older. Cheers, Matt

Guys: Thank you for welcoming my family. Little girls grow up, indeed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt: +1; Another slice of life. Beautifully captured and presented.

Regards.