Site Sponsors
Page 18 of 106 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 ... LastLast
Results 851 to 900 of 5290

Thread: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

  1. #851
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Corlan....Killer Set! Partial To The B&W Of Course But You Are Rockin It Brotha! Is That Gorgeous,Super Clean Contax A New Purchase? It Should Come With A Triple X Warning! So Hot!

  2. #852
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Corian: Gorgeous find on your HD. I love bw. But in the ' backyard ' I see a masterpiece. Bokeh or not it is superb.

    As to the Contax...I am sure in your hands it must have produced lovely
    results.

    Regards.
    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Corlan....Killer Set! Partial To The B&W Of Course But You Are Rockin It Brotha! Is That Gorgeous,Super Clean Contax A New Purchase? It Should Come With A Triple X Warning! So Hot!

    Thanks Rayyan, thanks Steve.

    Glad you liked the B&W, i know it's not much but everytime i look at it there's a little something happening, really don't know why.

    The Contax is a long story. In a few words i had to let it go because i couldn't really justify having it while waiting for an opportunity on a DB that wasn't showing fast enough (and i specifically wanted an Aptus). The new pricing for digital backs was not already taken into account by the second hand sellers (most wanted 7 to 12K for older gear when the new II-5 was merely around 7K here... only Phase backs were available for relatively cheap, but...). Then a super opportunity showed up, meaning basically for me to swap the D700 and a few idle non-photography stuff for the D3X, so... it was a smooth and reasonnable choice. The C645 is a great camera blessed with fantastic lenses from Zeiss -i'll get back there whenever humanly possible. Knowing that i'll still want to keep a D3X or a D700 or one of the new equivalent to come, on the side. So little available funds, so many great (and expensive) gear out there...

  3. #853
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Corian: Gorgeous find on your HD. I love bw. But in the ' backyard ' I see
    a masterpiece. Bokeh or not it is superb.

    As to the Contax...I am sure in your hands it must have produced lovely
    results.

    Regards.
    +1 from here. Excellent work all around. (BTW, do you sharpen those jpegs for web viewing? If so, perhaps that is what's killing the bokeh?)

  4. #854
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    +1 from here. Excellent work all around. (BTW, do you sharpen those jpegs for web viewing? If so, perhaps that is what's killing the bokeh?)
    Thanks Lloyd
    And no, i actually don't sharpen the jpegs (except on specific occasion where it makes sense).
    IMO there's a dual cause behind what's showed on the last page. First off, of course is the size reduction, where 1/ obviously you cramp up more info using much less pixels 2/ PS doesn't do the best job (and the same for uprezing) not having the best algorythm for the task out there. Then, on the jpeg side of things, the format is simply destructive and the compression mode even at max output values (less possible compression) has to destroy a lot of information using an average clustering method. Not good, especially for transitions (hence, "busy bokeh" for example). We all know that, and even though it's a huge commodity on the web for exchanging information and despite what the industry's trying to sell us, in most cases there's a trade-off in quality involved.

    In the printing business we're more and more often confronted to people swearing that you don't see the difference between using a TIFF or its jpeg counterpart on a full spread magazine page. Well, untill you prove them wrong. Of course again the visible difference is more or less critical depending on the type and structure of the photo/layout involved, but on full page products ads we always insist on them (publisher, agency...) using the TIF. Particularly on close up products pieces featuring a lot of subtle light (levels) and tone transitions, the gap in quality is huge, even on a magazine -full- page. Been there, done that, many times.

    Well, all this doesn't matter much here where we share photos mostly for fun, though it sometimes feels right to use caution when using such files to make quality statements, esp. re bokeh with busy backgrounds.

    But we all know that... it's just sometimes a bit frustrating to see a nice file deteriorate and being helpless.

  5. #855
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Thanks Lloyd
    And no, i actually don't sharpen the jpegs (except on specific occasion where it makes sense).
    IMO there's a dual cause behind what's showed on the last page. First off, of course is the size reduction, where 1/ obviously you cramp up more info using much less pixels 2/ PS doesn't do the best job (and the same for uprezing) not having the best algorythm for the task out there. Then, on the jpeg side of things, the format is simply destructive and the compression mode even at max output values (less possible compression) has to destroy a lot of information using an average clustering method. Not good, especially for transitions (hence, "busy bokeh" for example). We all know that, and even though it's a huge commodity on the web for exchanging information and despite what the industry's trying to sell us, in most cases there's a trade-off in quality involved.

    In the printing business we're more and more often confronted to people swearing that you don't see the difference between using a TIFF or its jpeg counterpart on a full spread magazine page. Well, untill you prove them wrong. Of course again the visible difference is more or less critical depending on the type and structure of the photo/layout involved, but on full page products ads we always insist on them (publisher, agency...) using the TIF. Particularly on close up products pieces featuring a lot of subtle light (levels) and tone transitions, the gap in quality is huge, even on a magazine -full- page. Been there, done that, many times.

    Well, all this doesn't matter much here where we share photos mostly for fun, though it sometimes feels right to use caution when using such files to make quality statements, esp. re bokeh with busy backgrounds.

    But we all know that... it's just sometimes a bit frustrating to see a nice file deteriorate and being helpless.
    Hi Corlan. That's a good explanation, and I've certainly seen the same. Just today I posted an image of my sister-in-law and her granddaughter over in the digital Leica thread, which looks good there, but the large print I made of it is significantly more impressive.

    My question about sharpening really came about from something I've started doing when posting images with a lot of bokeh in them. If I generate the web-sized image in PS, I run my web-sharpening action on a duplicate layer, and the put a "reveal" (black) layer mask over it, and paint in the areas I want sharp, leaving the rest unsharpened. That leave a more pleasing bokeh (still short of the full-res image, but better). I don't do that when generating the web-sized image from Lightroom, as I haven't yet figured out how do it without going in to PS. That was the basis for my question.

  6. #856
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Hi Corlan. That's a good explanation, and I've certainly seen the same. Just today I posted an image of my sister-in-law and her granddaughter over in the digital Leica thread, which looks good there, but the large print I made of it is significantly more impressive.

    My question about sharpening really came about from something I've started doing when posting images with a lot of bokeh in them. If I generate the web-sized image in PS, I run my web-sharpening action on a duplicate layer, and the put a "reveal" (black) layer mask over it, and paint in the areas I want sharp, leaving the rest unsharpened. That leave a more pleasing bokeh (still short of the full-res image, but better). I don't do that when generating the web-sized image from Lightroom, as I haven't yet figured out how do it without going in to PS. That was the basis for my question.
    I'm with you, the selective mask is quite a useful asset for sharpening in certain cases (off hand i'm thinking "flower" and macro in general).

    Talking about LR, following your advice (an apparent good results) i remember saying a couple of weeks ago that i'd give the new beta version a try. Downloaded it at the time, installed it... found it a bit complex at first sight and then kinda forgot about it. Need to put my mind into it, soon. Do you know which is the ACR version # equivalent to LR3 Beta RAW engine? I might start with the RAW conversion alone for the preliminary tests (as mentionned before C1 is not as good with the D3X than with the D700 and D3... and NX2 performs well but is definitely not the best programmed piece of SW (note: strong understatement ). Don't know if that was included in the latest CS4 update released for PS (11.0.2 // ACR 5.4) that we recently installed... .

    If you have the info handy... thanks!


    edit: btw, just had a look at your images on the M thread. Again, what a beautiful family you have. Or is it the photographer? Well, a good part of both, for sure.

  7. #857
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    I'm with you, the selective mask is quite a useful asset for sharpening in certain cases (off hand i'm thinking "flower" and macro in general).

    Talking about LR, following your advice (an apparent good results) i remember saying a couple of weeks ago that i'd give the new beta version a try. Downloaded it at the time, installed it... found it a bit complex at first sight and then kinda forgot about it. Need to put my mind into it, soon. Do you know which is the ACR version # equivalent to LR3 Beta RAW engine? I might start with the RAW conversion alone for the preliminary tests (as mentionned before C1 is not as good with the D3X than with the D700 and D3... and NX2 performs well but is definitely not the best programmed piece of SW (note: strong understatement ). Don't know if that was included in the latest CS4 update released for PS (11.0.2 // ACR 5.4) that we recently installed... .

    If you have the info handy... thanks!


    edit: btw, just had a look at your images on the M thread. Again, what a beautiful family you have. Or is it the photograph? Well, a good part of both, for sure.
    Thanks for that last, Corlan. I'm blessed far beyond what I deserve, for sure.

    I believe the ACR equivalent is 5.7. As for the LR3 Beta 2, I find I quite like it. A little fiddly still, but I'm very much looking forward to the full release version. Those images on the Leica thread were all processed in LR3 Beta 2.

  8. #858
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Thanks for that last, Corlan. I'm blessed far beyond what I deserve, for sure.

    I believe the ACR equivalent is 5.7. As for the LR3 Beta 2, I find I quite like it. A little fiddly still, but I'm very much looking forward to the full release version. Those images on the Leica thread were all processed in LR3 Beta 2.
    Ok thanks Lloyd. Not the same beast then (i had suspicions, that's why i asked... couldn't honestly see a difference).
    So i guess i either have to find a way to update ACR in PS (not sure it's available for now)... or simply pluck up my courage and look into the LR3 B seriously.

  9. #859
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    I'll sneak in with these. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

    1. D3s; 16-35mm f/4 VR; 16mm; 1/640s @ f/8; ISO 250


    2. D3s; 16-35mm f/4 VR; 35mm; 1/500s @ f/8; ISO 250


    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

  10. #860
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Matt....So Nice...Both Of Them!

  11. #861
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Ok thanks Lloyd. Not the same beast then (i had suspicions, that's why i asked... couldn't honestly see a difference).
    So i guess i either have to find a way to update ACR in PS (not sure it's available for now)... or simply pluck up my courage and look into the LR3 B seriously.
    Corlan: Nice photos.
    Corlan/Lloyd: Interesting dialogue.

    Thank you both.

    Cheers, Matt

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

  12. #862
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Matt....So Nice...Both Of Them!
    Ok, I concur!. And, I'm impressed how little distortion there is at 16mm! Nice.

  13. #863
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Matt....So Nice...Both Of Them!
    Steve: Thank you!

    Cheers, Matt.

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

  14. #864
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    I'll sneak in with these. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

    1. D3s; 16-35mm f/4 VR; 16mm; 1/640s @ f/8; ISO 250


    2. D3s; 16-35mm f/4 VR; 35mm; 1/500s @ f/8; ISO 250


    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Matt: Like Steve said, very nice...both of them.

    Regards.

  15. #865
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Ok, I concur!. And, I'm impressed how little distortion there is at 16mm! Nice.
    Lloyd: Thanks. You can see the stretched foot of the lady at the left in 16mm; but, it's not objectionable.

    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Matt: Like Steve said, very nice...both of them.
    Regards.
    Rayyan: Thank you!

    Cheers, Matt

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

  16. #866
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    There were 8 of us. Ayesha, me, my 2 sons and 4 grandchildren. It was a long
    flight. seemed much longer than the 4.5 hrs to Leonardo da Vinci. have you changed planes at Leonardo da Vinci. Don't.

    The kids ( smallest ones ) had wanted to chase windmills. I too!!

    We were headed to MAD. Better known to saner folk as the Madrid Barajas Airport.

    Are they all your kids? No.
    How many passports? 8.
    5 different nationalities.? Not mine. Me and wife have the same nationality.

    The others?

    Senor, can you keep them for 2/3 weeks here. Por Favor Senor. Please.
    I shall collect them on my way back.

    No sir, against the rules. You brought them, you keep them.

    Welcome to Madrid, sir. Gracias Senor. Very much Gracias.


    p.s I have been told by Ayesha, it is 4 not 5 nationalities. Difficult to keep track. MAD, I tell you. MAD!
    Last edited by rayyan; 8th June 2010 at 01:47.

  17. #867
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    There were 8 of us. Ayesha, me, my 2 sons and 4 grandchildren. It was a long
    flight. seemed much longer than the 4.5 hrs to Leonardo da Vinci. have you changed planes at Leonardo da Vinci. Don't.

    The kids ( smallest ones ) had wanted to chase windmills. I too!!

    We were headed to MAD. Better known to saner folk as the Madrid Barajas Airport.

    Are they all your kids? No.
    How many passports? 8.
    5 different nationalities.? Not mine. Me and wife have the same nationality.

    The others?

    Senor, can you keep them for 2/3 weeks here. Por Favor Senor. Please.
    I shall collect them on my way back.

    No sir, against the rules. You brought them, you keep them.

    Welcome to Madrid, sir. Gracias Senor. Very much Gracias.


    p.s I have been told by Ayesha, it is 4 not 5 nationalities. Difficult to keep track. MAD, I tell you. MAD!
    Another Smokin Shot Rayyan! Will You Adopt Me & Take Me With You Please?!

  18. #868
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    There were 8 of us. Ayesha, me, my 2 sons and 4 grandchildren. It was a long
    flight. seemed much longer than the 4.5 hrs to Leonardo da Vinci. have you changed planes at Leonardo da Vinci. Don't.

    The kids ( smallest ones ) had wanted to chase windmills. I too!!

    We were headed to MAD. Better known to saner folk as the Madrid Barajas Airport.

    Are they all your kids? No.
    How many passports? 8.
    5 different nationalities.? Not mine. Me and wife have the same nationality.

    The others?

    Senor, can you keep them for 2/3 weeks here. Por Favor Senor. Please.
    I shall collect them on my way back.

    No sir, against the rules. You brought them, you keep them.

    Welcome to Madrid, sir. Gracias Senor. Very much Gracias.


    p.s I have been told by Ayesha, it is 4 not 5 nationalities. Difficult to keep track. MAD, I tell you. MAD!
    Yes, I recall that madness... the last time we traveled with the whole family!! (Ah, Madrid. Although I prefer Sevilla, I'd take it! Actually, I take a trip anywhere just now!)

  19. #869
    Member jlancasterd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Garndolbenmaen, Wales
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Taken the same day as the photo of our grandson, posted earlier...

    Our granddaughter Hafwen had mild pnuemonia and was feeling very sorry for herself.

    Attachment 31729
    Last edited by jlancasterd; 13th September 2012 at 13:41.
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

  20. #870
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by jlancasterd View Post
    Taken the same day as the photo of our grandson, posted earlier...

    Our granddaughter Hafwen had mild pnuemonia and was feeling very sorry for herself.

    Attachment 31729
    Pneumonia! I'm feeling sorry for her too. Lovely girl; beautiful eyes.

  21. #871
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Pneumonia! I'm feeling sorry for her too. Lovely girl; beautiful eyes.
    + 1. Hope she recovers soon!

  22. #872
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Pneumonia! I'm feeling sorry for her too. Lovely girl; beautiful eyes.
    John: +1. Here's to Speedy recovery.

  23. #873
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Do you work hard grand dad, asked Mariam.

    Yes. Very very hard.

    What do you do? She came back.

    I go to London, Paris, Tokyo, New York....meeting people. I said.

    Where did you take this picture? I didn't, I said. Someone else did.

    Where? London, I think.


    You get a lot of money grandad? I do ok, I said.

    Is this why you get tired, grand dad?, you work very hard.

    Most people work much much harder than me Mariam. Much harder.


    Never, said Mariam. You are my grand dad. You work the hardest. You are the best. I love you too sweetheart, I said.

  24. #874
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Do you work hard grand dad, asked Mariam.

    Yes. Very very hard.

    What do you do? She came back.

    I go to London, Paris, Tokyo, New York....meeting people. I said.

    Where did you take this picture? I didn't, I said. Someone else did.

    Where? London, I think.


    You get a lot of money grandad? I do ok, I said.

    Is this why you get tired, grand dad?, you work very hard.

    Most people work much much harder than me Mariam. Much harder.


    Never, said Mariam. You are my grand dad. You work the hardest. You are the best. I love you too sweetheart, I said.
    Good reminder, my friend.

    (Aren't granddaughters the best at making us feel important?) By the way, we gave Osman his due for looking like a younger Sean Connery. I'd say Omar Sharif only wishes he were so handsome!!

  25. #875
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Good reminder, my friend.

    (Aren't granddaughters the best at making us feel important?) By the way, we gave Osman his due for looking like a younger Sean Connery. I'd say Omar Sharif only wishes he were so handsome!!
    Lloyd: The best thing that happened to me is my grand children. I am sure for you too.

    Mariam does make me feel like a king.

    Thanks Lloyd.

  26. #876
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Another Smokin Shot Rayyan! Will You Adopt Me & Take Me With You Please?!

    Steve: Thanks. What say you come along with us to the Smokey Mountains.

    We are planning. Lovely, Lovely place on earth.

    Regards.

  27. #877
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    I'll sneak in with these. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt
    Matt, these are super nice. Probably among your best in the area.
    Beyond the reamarkably wide perspective, thanks to composition, color and movement the first one gives a sense of lifelike presence. Love it.
    The B&W has a cinematographic quality to it, reminding of a crew of actors who had waited your signal to set themselves altogether in motion towards the camera. And the diversity of characters (almost too good to be true) is a nice touch. Don't know how you got the shot, but it is awesome.



    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Another Smokin Shot Rayyan! Will You Adopt Me & Take Me With You Please?!
    no comment

    oh well, maybe one: grandson for a bodygiard, two in one. Maybe not an expensive proposition, after all...

    That said, lovely shot, Rayyan.
    Looking at it i can't help thinking how hard it becomes nowadays to distinguish a city from another looking at a street photograph like yours. Especially in Europe, they all start to look the same... Couple of decades ago you could at least make the country out at first glance. Hm.



    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    John: +1. Here's to Speedy recovery.
    I'll second (or third) that. And Nice photo, John.



    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Good reminder, my friend.

    (Aren't granddaughters the best at making us feel important?) By the way, we gave Osman his due for looking like a younger Sean Connery. I'd say Omar Sharif only wishes he were so handsome!!
    I'll second that, too

  28. #878
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Do you work hard grand dad, asked Mariam.

    Yes. Very very hard.

    What do you do? She came back.

    I go to London, Paris, Tokyo, New York....meeting people. I said.

    Where did you take this picture? I didn't, I said. Someone else did.

    Where? London, I think.


    You get a lot of money grandad? I do ok, I said.

    Is this why you get tired, grand dad?, you work very hard.

    Most people work much much harder than me Mariam. Much harder.


    Never, said Mariam. You are my grand dad. You work the hardest. You are the best. I love you too sweetheart, I said.
    Dapper, Sharif Like, Regal & Debonair! Mr Clooney Has Nothing On You My Friend! Wonderful Images!

  29. #879
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post

    That said, lovely shot, Rayyan.
    Looking at it i can't help thinking how hard it becomes nowadays to distinguish a city from another looking at a street photograph like yours. Especially in Europe, they all start to look the same... Couple of decades ago you could at least make the country out at first glance. Hm.
    Corian: I agree with you fully. Usually I try to arrive for a good night's
    sleep before work next morn. It is the same everywhere!!

    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Dapper, ..... Wonderful Images!
    Steve. Thank you.

  30. #880
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Please say hello to Raneem..we call her bug's eyes!!


  31. #881
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Please say hello to Raneem..

    [/CENTER]
    Hello Raneem!
    Isn't she gorgeous?

  32. #882
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Hello Raneem!
    Isn't she gorgeous?
    Hi Corian. Thank you.

  33. #883
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Adorable with Beautiful Eyes!

  34. #884
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Hi Corian. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Adorable with Beautiful Eyes!
    Corian, Steve: Thanks guys. Just to give a little context:


    The one on your right is Raneem's mother. She is a doctorate in something
    weird.

    The one one the left is Hamza and mariam's mother. She is a medical doctor.
    A consultant specialist in Cancer Diagnosis and Management in soft tissue
    Lymphomas.

    p.s nikon F2.

  35. #885
    Senior Member otumay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    1,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Adorable with Beautiful Eyes!
    +1

  36. #886
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Please say hello to Raneem..we call her bug's eyes!!

    Truly priceless!

  37. #887
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Corian, Steve: Thanks guys. Just to give a little context:


    The one on your right is Raneem's mother. She is a doctorate in something
    weird.

    The one one the left is Hamza and mariam's mother. She is a medical doctor.
    A consultant specialist in Cancer Diagnosis and Management in soft tissue
    Lymphomas.

    p.s nikon F2.
    Beautiful, and accomplished. Unbeatable combination.

  38. #888
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Beautiful, and accomplished. Unbeatable combination.
    +1!

  39. #889
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Another Smokin Shot Rayyan! Will You Adopt Me & Take Me With You Please?!
    Rayyan: Great story and night shot! Shiny and colorful. Flown in to Da Vinci and i can imagine what a transfer would be like. Cheers, Matt

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

  40. #890
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Pneumonia! I'm feeling sorry for her too. Lovely girl; beautiful eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    + 1. Hope she recovers soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    John: +1. Here's to Speedy recovery.
    John: +1, +1, +1. Beautiful girl and photo. she does look miserable. Cheers, Matt.

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

  41. #891
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Do you work hard grand dad, asked Mariam.
    Yes. Very very hard.
    What do you do? She came back.
    I go to London, Paris, Tokyo, New York....meeting people. I said.
    Where did you take this picture? I didn't, I said. Someone else did.
    Where? London, I think.
    You get a lot of money grandad? I do ok, I said.
    Is this why you get tired, grand dad?, you work very hard.
    Most people work much much harder than me Mariam. Much harder.
    Never, said Mariam. You are my grand dad. You work the hardest. You are the best. I love you too sweetheart, I said.
    rayyan: Two very different photos; one as Lloyd said a reminder; and the other showing that you really are "tall dark and handsome" (part of the reason, all of the ladies smile for you!). Just kidding, your empathy towards the people you meet and photograph is clear. BTW, it's hard for me to imagine people employed to make little rocks out of big rocks by hand. Cheers, Matt
    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

  42. #892
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Matt, these are super nice. Probably among your best in the area.
    Beyond the reamarkably wide perspective, thanks to composition, color and movement the first one gives a sense of lifelike presence. Love it.
    The B&W has a cinematographic quality to it, reminding of a crew of actors who had waited your signal to set themselves altogether in motion towards the camera. And the diversity of characters (almost too good to be true) is a nice touch. Don't know how you got the shot, but it is awesome. ...
    Corlan: Thank you! I set out to try that lens, as much as I could, at it's extremes. The light was red. I looked at the people across from me, and when it turned red, i took some photos. The AF is very fast and accurate. Not a stealthy setup, but fast. Nice set of characters was a plus. Cheers, Matt.

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

  43. #893
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Please say hello to Raneem..we call her bug's eyes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Corian, Steve: Thanks guys. Just to give a little context:
    The one on your right is Raneem's mother. She is a doctorate in something
    weird.
    The one one the left is Hamza and mariam's mother. She is a medical doctor.
    A consultant specialist in Cancer Diagnosis and Management in soft tissue
    Lymphomas. p.s nikon F2.
    Rayyan: Beautiful little girl; as were her mother and aunt. Little girls grow up way to fast! "Bugs eyes", probably won't be a good nickname as she gets older. Cheers, Matt

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

  44. #894
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

    D3s; 16-35mm f/4 Vr; 35mm; 1/320s @ f/8; ISO 250


    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

  45. #895
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

    D3s; 16-35mm f/4 Vr; 35mm; 1/320s @ f/8; ISO 250


    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    This is flat gorgeous, Matt! Just jumps off the screen. I like the composition, and there is a certain timelessness to the image. Great work.

  46. #896
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Corlan: Thank you! I set out to try that lens, as much as I could, at it's extremes. The light was red. I looked at the people across from me, and when it turned red, i took some photos. The AF is very fast and accurate. Not a stealthy setup, but fast. Nice set of characters was a plus. Cheers, Matt.

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

    Thought about a red light, though it works very well for several reasons. First you can't see it (well, i couldn't) and no pedestrian marks either, then the paved street doesn't look much like cars are passing by, finally the people are distributed over a wider zone that what you'd expect from a regular light crossing for a relatively small street like that one.

    You could make a project out of this, taking regular pictures (a day?) at similar hours, not unlike Auggie in Smoke (fabulous set btw)... just a bit less random, with the red light constraint -the outcome could (would) turn out great. Book material?


    edit: like the last one posted above, too. This kit seems to give quite interesting results for B&W taken in bright light.

  47. #897
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    This is flat gorgeous, Matt! Just jumps off the screen. I like the composition, and there is a certain timelessness to the image. Great work.
    Lloyd: Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Thought about a red light, though it works very well for several reasons. First you can't see it (well, i couldn't) and no pedestrian marks either, then the paved street doesn't look much like cars are passing by, finally the people are distributed over a wider zone that what you'd expect from a regular light crossing for a relatively small street like that one.
    You could make a project out of this, taking regular pictures (a day?) at similar hours, not unlike Auggie in Smoke (fabulous set btw)... just a bit less random, with the red light constraint -the outcome could (would) turn out great. Book material?
    edit: like the last one posted above, too. This kit seems to give quite interesting results for B&W taken in bright light.
    Corlan: Thanks re: the second photo. It's an intersection where everyone crosses, in every direction, on green. At this side of the market, people spread out a bit across the alley. Usually, it's anarchy. I googled Auggie and smoke. I missed that film. Have to check it out.

    Cheers, Matt

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

  48. #898
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Another Smokin Shot Rayyan! Will You Adopt Me & Take Me With You Please?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Yes, I recall that madness... the last time we traveled with the whole family!! (Ah, Madrid. Although I prefer Sevilla, I'd take it! Actually, I take a trip anywhere just now!)

    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Rayyan: Great story and night shot! Shiny and colorful. Flown in to Da Vinci and i can imagine what a transfer would be like. Cheers, Matt

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    rayyan: Two very different photos; one as Lloyd said a reminder; and the other showing that you really are "tall dark and handsome" (part of the reason, all of the ladies smile for you!). Just kidding, your empathy towards the people you meet and photograph is clear. BTW, it's hard for me to imagine people employed to make little rocks out of big rocks by hand. Cheers, Matt
    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Steve, Lloyd, Matt: Thanks a bunch folks. You are kind. Sometimes it is more important which airport one flies into than with whom

    Regards.

  49. #899
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Truly priceless!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Beautiful, and accomplished. Unbeatable combination.
    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    +1!
    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Rayyan: Beautiful little girl; as were her mother and aunt. Little girls grow up way to fast! "Bugs eyes", probably won't be a good nickname as she gets older. Cheers, Matt

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Guys: Thank you for welcoming my family. Little girls grow up, indeed.

  50. #900
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

    D3s; 16-35mm f/4 Vr; 35mm; 1/320s @ f/8; ISO 250


    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    This is flat gorgeous, Matt! Just jumps off the screen. I like the composition, and there is a certain timelessness to the image. Great work.
    Matt: +1; Another slice of life. Beautifully captured and presented.

    Regards.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •