Site Sponsors
Page 23 of 106 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 5290

Thread: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

' I Caesar...' The crowd went wild. The noise was deafening. The scribes scribed hurriedly to keep pace. Caesar, mounted on his white stallion, surveyed the pomp, pageantry and glory of his people and empire. Roman legions, as far as the eye could see, writers, senators, scientists, engineers, architects, doctors, artists, philosophers and generals were all there.

Were they the best grandpa?, asked Hamza.

The banners were raised high. SPQR fluttering in the wind. Senatus Populusque Romanus, they proclaimed.

' Romans ' proclaimed Caesar, extending his arm. The sword glistened in the sun. Thousands of swords glistened in the sun. The shields shouted the power and might of Caesar and Rome.

' Romans' said Caesar, ' are not afraid of the future ' he said. ' Romans' said
    Caesar proudly ' shape the future '.

'For the Senate and the People of Rome' proclaimed Caesar as he raised his
    extended arm, sword raised, turned all round to face his army and people.

' This is the beginning' said Caesar, ' of a New Age '. Novus Ordo Seclorum.
    His cape fluttered in the wind.' I am caesar' and ' I am Rome '.

But what happened grandpa? asked Hamza. Why did it happen grandpa?

The same as always Hamza, I said. They started to believe they were gods themselves.

Did the same thing happen in Athens grandpa? Yes I said.
    Will you tell me their story, in Athens grandpa?

No son, I said. No more stories. I said.

In Athens, I said, I shall predict the future. By listenening to the stones. Exactly. Every single step of the future, I said. Hamza didn't believe me.

He was looking at the past glories of Rome...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    ' I Caesar...' The crowd went wild. The noise was deafening. The scribes scribed hurriedly to keep pace. Caesar, mounted on his white stallion, surveyed the pomp, pageantry and glory of his people and empire. Roman legions, as far as the eye could see, writers, senators, scientists, engineers, architects, doctors, artists, philosophers and generals were all there.

Were they the best grandpa?, asked Hamza.

The banners were raised high. SPQR fluttering in the wind. Senatus Populusque Romanus, they proclaimed.

' Romans ' proclaimed Caesar, extending his arm. The sword glistened in the sun. Thousands of swords glistened in the sun. The shields shouted the power and might of Caesar and Rome.

' Romans' said Caesar, ' are not afraid of the future ' he said. ' Romans' said
    Caesar proudly ' shape the future '.

'For the Senate and the People of Rome' proclaimed Caesar as he raised his
    extended arm, sword raised, turned all round to face his army and people.

' This is the beginning' said Caesar, ' of a New Age '. Novus Ordo Seclorum.
    His cape fluttered in the wind.' I am caesar' and ' I am Rome '.

But what happened grandpa? asked Hamza. Why did it happen grandpa?

The same as always Hamza, I said. They started to believe they were gods themselves.

Did the same thing happen in Athens grandpa? Yes I said.
    Will you tell me their story, in Athens grandpa?

No son, I said. No more stories. I said.

In Athens, I said, I shall predict the future. By listenening to the stones. Exactly. Every single step of the future, I said. Hamza didn't believe me.

He was looking at the past glories of Rome...
    Heady stuff, my friend. Yes, the stones know. And 'those who do not learn from the past...' Heady stuff. I hope Hamza listens,,, to them, and to his grandpa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks all for your appreciation on the dog photos. Not my strong suit, but i got help from the lovely models.

Rayyan, this is marvelous. The words, and the superb colors and details in the images. You really master this kind of (otherwise often perceived as "over") processing, suits your style perfectly.
    Btw thanks for the insight on last page. I thought about 3 to 4 exposures... which aperture did you use?
    Beautiful landscape there, too.

Matt: what a cool way to collect and carry the produce. Nice market "action" shot!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Heady stuff, my friend. Yes, the stones know. And 'those who do not learn from the past...' Heady stuff. I hope Hamza listens,,, to them, and to his grandpa.
    Yes...Every Picture Does Tell A Story! Hopefully At Some Point The Book Ends On A Positive Note....

Rayyan....Fine Job!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    My attention wandered while at the Photo Workshop (background right) last Saturday. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

D3s; 24-70mm f/2.8; 70mm; 1/30s @ f/2.8; ISO 560

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Matt, I Might As Well Be The One To Say It....Nice Tomatoes!
    Also Like The The Gentleman In The Background Checking You Out!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Matt, I Might As Well Be The One To Say It....Nice Tomatoes!
    Also Like The The Gentleman In The Background Checking You Out!
    +1 from here. Nicely captured.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Little more than a kilometer north of the glitzy shopping malls in downtown Bangkok, Siam this and Siam that and the slightly overcooked Central World, along the heavily congested, six lane Phayathai road, reality comes roaring out of the forest, at the speed of papaya salad. And the city stops for a couple of minutes, while the iron elephant continues its bumpy journey towards Chanchoengsao and other exotic destination. For 48 Baht, it will even take you the whole five hour journey to Aranya Pratet at the Cambodian border. That's certainly better value than a Louis Vuitton handbag at Gaysorn Plaza.

D80 with 70-300mm ED @ 210mm and f/7.1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd: Thanks. I asked Ayesha to make me a tomato salad!!

Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post

Rayyan, this is marvelous. The words, and the superb colors and details in the images. You really master this kind of (otherwise often perceived as "over") processing, suits your style perfectly.
    Btw thanks for the insight on last page. I thought about 3 to 4 exposures... which aperture did you use?
    Beautiful landscape there, too.
    Corian: Much appreciated. The aperture was 5.6; Three exposures.

Yes...Every Picture Does Tell A Story! Hopefully At Some Point The Book Ends On A Positive Note....

Rayyan....Fine Job!
    Steve: Thank you. History is just that. Happy/sad; good/bad; right/wrong;
    why/why not is for us. History does not care. It knows, it shows.. What we do with what we see is our business. History remains neutral. No feelings either way.

That's the way it was, is and will be. History is indifferent. It is made of ' stone '.

Regards.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    That's certainly better value than a Louis Vuitton handbag at Gaysorn Plaza.
    Nice image, Jorgen. And that last is true of any number of things.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd: Thanks. I asked Ayesha to make me a tomato salad!!
    Dates for breakfast here!!

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen... fantastic shot!
    http://jasonedwardphoto.com http://jasonmuelver.tumblr.com
    Nikon FX, Leica M8, Mamiya 645, Canon F-1

Post Thanks / Like

For me at least recently, this might be one of the most powerful images I've taken.

I was driving back from having a beer with a friend, it's warm out, but raining. I see a guy flagging.... carrying a cardboard sign asking for money at a busy intersection. The light turns red and I stop. I see this.

Her dog doesn't care that they are out begging for money on the street. At the same time, she has given 2/3 of a wet towel to the dog to lay down on.

I roll my window down and call out, but she doesn't look up. A bus honks it's horn behind me as the light turned green a few seconds ago. I drive away ashamed, and feel so much poorer.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Muelver View Post
    For me at least recently, this might be one of the most powerful images I've taken.

I was driving back from having a beer with a friend, it's warm out, but raining. I see a guy flagging.... carrying a cardboard sign asking for money at a busy intersection. The light turns red and I stop. I see this.

Her dog doesn't care that they are out begging for money on the street. At the same time, she has given 2/3 of a wet towel to the dog to lay down on.

I roll my window down and call out, but she doesn't look up. A bus honks it's horn behind me as the light turned green a few seconds ago. I drive away ashamed, and feel so much poorer.
    Very touching Jason. Thank you for sharing. A good reminder, and I think you deserve credit just for having appreciated what you might have done.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Little more than a kilometer north of the glitzy shopping malls in downtown Bangkok, Siam this and Siam that and the slightly overcooked Central World, along the heavily congested, six lane Phayathai road, reality comes roaring out of the forest, at the speed of papaya salad. And the city stops for a couple of minutes, while the iron elephant continues its bumpy journey towards Chanchoengsao and other exotic destination. For 48 Baht, it will even take you the whole five hour journey to Aranya Pratet at the Cambodian border. That's certainly better value than a Louis Vuitton handbag at Gaysorn Plaza.

Jorgen: beautiful capture, my friend. I love photos like this. life as it is lived.

Excellent.

Regards.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jason: Sad photo. Sincere photo. You tried to do what was needed. You did
    your best.

Regards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen- hard to believe this was taken at walking distance from downtown BK. Very nice photo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jason, it is powerful indeed. A very poignant image, one that gets to you instantly, and stays with you (it's taken a few hours to leave a comment).
    Unfortunately one can't always "change something" for the better, and some moments are simply overwhelming -that's part of being human. Though, as a photographer, relaying the facts by capturing a situation in a respectful way is definitely part of what you can do.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Fine Image Jorgen!

Life Happening...Extremely Difficult & Gut Wrenching....Some Sympathize, Some Empathize, Some Just Don't Give A Damn. Your Heart Is In The Right Place Jason. This Is Why We Do What We Do. Powerful Image!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. At first, I was upset that it was OOF. I was shooting through a rained on car window. But then it struck me that the OOF is what makes this photo. It's what we do as humans. We look past the disturbing things to something safer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, ok. I know it's not sharp. I was right at the close-focusing distance of my 200. A puff of breeze maybe? In any case, it's summer and very welcome here in the northern climes.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    Ok, ok. I know it's not sharp. I was right at the close-focusing distance of my 200. A puff of breeze maybe? In any case, it's summer and very welcome here in the northern climes.
    Hey, still works well, Tim. Nice image, great bokeh, good color and composition... works for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey, still works well, Tim. Nice image, great bokeh, good color and composition... works for me.
    Thanks Lloyd. I'm beginning to think you're easy!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    Thanks Lloyd. I'm beginning to think you're easy!
    Cheap and easy!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Rayyan, the IQ on that is outstanding. The white just pops off the screen.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I do love to photograph trams...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Rayyan,Strong Color & Contrast! Beautiful Location. Where Is This If I May Ask?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I do love to photograph people too....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Rayyan,Strong Color & Contrast! Beautiful Location. Where Is This If I May Ask?
    Steve: Good Evening from me...and from Zurich.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Rayyan, the IQ on that is outstanding. The white just pops off the screen.
    Hi Lloyd, top of the morning to you. off the coast of Norway.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve: Good Evening from me...and from Zurich.
    Thank You.

Wow, Dirty,Crusty Beauty!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=rayyan;220331]I do love to photograph trams...

Another beauty, Rayyan. Lovely warm and cool colors together. The quality of the light is really nice as well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=rayyan;220333]I do love to photograph people too....

That's great! At a spa?

You's have to pay money to watch women get that muddy here. Of course there's wrestling involved, so it's worth it!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Lloyd;220351]
    I do love to photograph trams...

Another beauty, Rayyan. Lovely warm and cool colors together. The quality of the light is really nice as well.
    [QUOTE=Lloyd;220352]

That's great! At a spa?

You's have to pay money to watch women get that muddy here. Of course there's wrestling involved, so it's worth it!
    Lloyd: Thanks a lot Lloyd. This was on a street in Madrid on a hot afternoon.

I don't think they allow cams in spas? At Least not the ones I love to go to!
    Hot and a Hoot!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Rayyan....The Tram Shot Is Dreamy! Love It!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rayyan, both the tram and coast shots are impressive. In particular, very nice light, and colors, in both cases.

As for the muddy model , we don't have those around here. Got old, "stoned" ones, though:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Corlan, You Can Taste The Stone! So Sharp! 105vr Micro?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That is visual treat, Corlan. Mmmm, stoned...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yup, good guess Steve.

Talking about "models", just saw the 9.95 series you did with Ashwin. Great stuff (and excellent addition with the one taken by your friend Freddy)... but i definitely know now how to cast my vote for the Best Model/Actor 2010 Awards.
    Let's call you Denzel from now on.

P.S. thanks Lloyd. Not really a special shot, but for some (unknown) reason Rayyan's shot from Madrid made me think of it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Rayyan....The Tram Shot Is Dreamy! Love It!
    Steve: I do love trams. SF is a place I always visit to ride them cars. Right to the Fisherman's Wharf.

Rayyan, both the tram and coast shots are impressive. In particular, very nice light, and colors, in both cases.

As for the muddy model , we don't have those around here. Got old, "stoned" ones, though:

Corian: Thanks. That is one nice ' stone ' you have there my friend. At least
    one can talk to stones..no?

Good stuff. Regards.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Going further east I found another gentler, but no less elegant, mode of transport. very soothing!!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen: Nice image. The lights and the steam blow-off give that sense of "papaya speed". Great framing with the people on either side. A window seat, some food and drink, a camera. Sounds like a nice deal for $1.50. Have you taken that trip?

Jason: Strong image made more powerful by it's lack of sharpness and it's tone. It has more pathos, implies less connection and more loneliness, as if they were fading away from us (and they are).

Tim: Nice photo. Good color and isolation. It's lack of sharpness suggests the quickness of the bee and your timely capture. We can infer that the bee moves very fast and moves on.

rayyan: Your photo posts are wonderfully eclectic and catholic in scope. A pleasure to see them delineate people and places of our world.

Corlan: Nice photo. The framing , color and texture work well. I like the similarity in color between the OOF background and the statue.

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=rayyan;220412]Going further east I found another gentler, but no less elegant, mode of transport. very soothing!!

Another wonder, Rayyan. A peaceful feeling to this image. Your processing is really exceptional; one has the feeling that like Ansel Adams, you had your processing in mind when you made the image.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

rayyan: Your photo posts are wonderfully eclectic and catholic in scope. A pleasure to see them delineate people and places of our world.

Cheers, Matt

[QUOTE=Lloyd;220456]
    Going further east I found another gentler, but no less elegant, mode of transport. very soothing!!

Another wonder, Rayyan. A peaceful feeling to this image. Your processing is really exceptional; one has the feeling that like Ansel Adams, you had your processing in mind when you made the image.
    Matt, Lloyd: I feel humbled gentlemen. Just wondering..Catholic...
    Hmmm..must be something nice!!

Best and kindest regards to two great guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you all for your kind words.

Corlan, beautiful faces in stone.

Rayyan, I like your boat photo. Great perspective, but where is it? My first impulse was China, but I'm not sure why.

Jorgen: Nice image. The lights and the steam blow-off give that sense of "papaya speed". Great framing with the people on either side. A window seat, some food and drink, a camera. Sounds like a nice deal for $1.50. Have you taken that trip?
    I have indeed taken the ride, several times. It's a fascinating experience with loads of people getting on and off all the time, vendors travelling along, selling food and drinks, students who ask for ad hoq English lessons... and so on. It's not for anyone though. Once, I had to stand for the first four hours, it's third class only and no air-conditioning, smokers have to stand between the carriages to do their thing etc. And once, I sat next to another foreigner, hardly any of them on these trains, who wanted to talk about his journey around the world. And his ex-girlfriend, who left him somewhere in China for another guy (I wonder why ). For five hours.

Highly recommended!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Rayyan...Color, Patterns, Reflections...Sweet!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, good guess Steve.

Talking about "models", just saw the 9.95 series you did with Ashwin. Great stuff (and excellent addition with the one taken by your friend Freddy)... but i definitely know now how to cast my vote for the Best Model/Actor 2010 Awards.
    Let's call you Denzel from now on.

Corlan, Thank You Kindly Buddy! Oh Yeah...When's The Last Time You Had Your Eye's Examined?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've bought a new TC, the TC-20EIII. This morning was the first day for testing, and I'll create a separate thread to show some of my experiences. Here's an hors d'œuvre:

D80 with 80-200 AF-S with TC-20EIII @ 400mm and f/5.6

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've bought a new TC, the TC-20EIII. This morning was the first day for testing, and I'll create a separate thread to show some of my experiences. Here's an hors d'œuvre:

D80 with 80-200 AF-S with TC-20EIII @ 400mm and f/5.6

Nice. Looks really good.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your kind words...
    I have indeed taken the ride, several times. It's a fascinating experience with loads of people getting on and off all the time, vendors travelling along, selling food and drinks, students who ask for ad hoq English lessons... and so on. It's not for anyone though. Once, I had to stand for the first four hours, it's third class only and no air-conditioning, smokers have to stand between the carriages to do their thing etc. And once, I sat next to another foreigner, hardly any of them on these trains, who wanted to talk about his journey around the world. And his ex-girlfriend, who left him somewhere in China for another guy (I wonder why ). For five hours. Highly recommended!
    Jorgen: Sounds like fun (once or twice, anyway).

...Another wonder, Rayyan. A peaceful feeling to this image. Your processing is really exceptional; one has the feeling that like Ansel Adams, you had your processing in mind when you made the image.
    rayyan: +1. Very nice!

Matt, Lloyd: I feel humbled gentlemen. Just wondering..Catholic...
    Hmmm..must be something nice!!
    Best and kindest regards to two great guys.
    rayyan: +1. "Your photo posts are wonderfully diverse and universal in scope. A pleasure to see them depict people and places of our world.

Nice. Looks really good.
    Jorgen: Nice composition. The TC-E20III seems to work well with that lens (still can't get one here!). Looking forward to the entree.

Cheers, Matt