Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Osman: Thank you. I haven't used this lens in a while. I remember the excellent photos that you posted. Although, I cheated and used a tripod here. I believe this lens doesn't get the respect it deserves because it's a "zoom" and not a "prime"! Seriously under-rated!

More Duck Dodge Race. NW corner of Lake Union. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt
    Great image Matt, and I love the b/w here. I completely agree about the 200-400, seriously under-rated!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    Lloyd and Osman: wonderful portraiture work, both of you !
    And Jorgen: that goes for your beer and pizza 'portraits' too
    Thank you Steen, very much appreciated. And a huge +1 from me on your wonderful series, Osman.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    T
    Lloyd, you're my portrait hero!
    Wow. Thank you Osman. I'm more than flattered!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice sailboat shots, Matt.

I admit that I'm one of those who wish there were a 4/400 prime version of that lens so that it would be somewhat smaller and lighter and pumping less dust into the barrell.

And besides I know I would use the zoom version at the long end all the time because I would use it for bird shooting.
    I've been waiting for a 4/400mm for many years. Admittedly I'm tired of waiting and I do have considered the zoom version.

Does the 200-400 zoom tend to be better at one of the ends (like most zooms), or does it perform equally over the entire focal range ?
    As to your question at the end, I honestly haven't found a weak side to this lens. I've shot sports where I've been all over the zoom range, and I really can't tell which end I'm at from looking at the images alone. No obvious weakness that gives it away.

Here's what the notoriously picky Bjørn Rørslett had to say about it. http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zo...l#AFS200-400VR

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Nice sailboat shots, Matt.

I admit that I'm one of those who wish there were a 4/400 prime version of that lens so that it would be somewhat smaller and lighter and pumping less dust into the barrell.

And besides I know I would use the zoom version at the long end all the time because I would use it for bird shooting.
    I've been waiting for a 4/400mm for many years. Admittedly I'm tired of waiting and I do have considered the zoom version.

Does the 200-400 zoom tend to be better at one of the ends (like most zooms), or does it perform equally over the entire focal range ?
    Steen: I know, the 400/2.8 is a beast. It weighs almost 3 lbs. more then the 200-400/4. I think the 200-400mm/f performs well at both ends of it's range. I've also used it with the TC-E14 successfully, IMHO. The attached photo was taken a few weeks after I got the camera and lens (just learning). And, it should work with the new 200-400/4.

The sweet spot for birds, seems to me, to be in the 400-500mm range, and you need a moderately fast lens/camera to shoot a 1000s +. I had a 500mm f/4 VR, but, it was too unwieldy, handheld (weighs 2 lbs. less then the 400/2.8, though). OK on a gimbal head tripod.

I've even tried a couple of the __-500mm Sigma's, but, always returned them because of unsatisfactory IQ. Nikon glass spoils you.

D3; 200-400mm f/4 w/TC-E14; 550mm; 1/1000a @ f/8; ISO 3200

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

click for larger size (3.5 Mb)

Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 ZF • 1/800 sec. at f/8 ISO 400 • Capture NX
    Steen: Great photo. I like the composition choices, you made. Very textural. Cheers, Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Hey!
    You kept taking pictures while I was out; a no-nikon-man! Lovely stuff; Osman, your kids are great! Steen, the Danish spring has come further and is almost as full of beauty as ours. Beautiful double portrait, Lloyd.

So, now that I´m allowed in here again (picked up my D200 #5 (?) today. Oh what folly! ). It was cheap and well kept. More interesting (to me at least); it came with an equally well kept Micro-Nikkor 3,5/55 of the very first series (there was a 5,5 cm series before that). Serial # suggests 1964, maybe even 63. So; the dog and me took the kit out into some light rain and warm spring just now - thinking I´d find some ready-to-bloom lily-of-the valley on the favourite spot. We did, got down on our knees (well, he didn´t really bother) and opened the lens up. Focus is not 100% where I wanted it, but close. I might keep this old lens!

ISO 320, 1/45, 3,5 - minimal sharpening and increased contrast.

leif e
    F2, FM2, D700, 3,5/20 UD, 2/35, 3,5/55, CV 2,5/75 (all ai or ai´d), 1,8/85 af-d,
    2,8/60 af-d

Post Thanks / Like

Matt! I forgot to mention your eagle! Voff, as the dog would put it!

leif e
    F2, FM2, D700, 3,5/20 UD, 2/35, 3,5/55, CV 2,5/75 (all ai or ai´d), 1,8/85 af-d,
    2,8/60 af-d

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leif e View Post
    Hey!
    You kept taking pictures while I was out; a no-nikon-man! Lovely stuff; Osman, your kids are great! Steen, the Danish spring has come further and is almost as full of beauty as ours. Beautiful double portrait, Lloyd.

So, now that I´m allowed in here again (picked up my D200 #5 (?) today. Oh what folly! ). It was cheap and well kept. More interesting (to me at least); it came with an equally well kept Micro-Nikkor 3,5/55 of the very first series (there was a 5,5 cm series before that). Serial # suggests 1964, maybe even 63. So; the dog and me took the kit out into some light rain and warm spring just now - thinking I´d find some ready-to-bloom lily-of-the valley on the favourite spot. We did, got down on our knees (well, he didn´t really bother) and opened the lens up. Focus is not 100% where I wanted it, but close. I might keep this old lens!

leif e
    Beautiful shot, Leif. Great color. Congrats on the new tool. Hope to see much more.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Still sifting through my recent Pergamon shots. Kids this time. D700 and Nikkor 50/1.4 with some heavy pp.
    Best,
    Osman

Osman: These are great! You really captured their joy at being kids. Nice composition and PP. I especially like these two. The softness suits the second image, and the first expresses the kind of friendship/family that kids this age still have. Hard not to smile when you see these. Good work (I scare little kids; so, I have to stay at a distance!). Cheers, Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you, Lloyd, Leif and Matt!
    Matt, one of the girls came up to me and asked if I was a foreigner. I did not reply, but smiled. She kept asking and I kept shooting, all smiles. She suddenly lost her patience and shouted: "Are you British or Turkish? What the sh*t are you?". It was most difficult to suppress my laughter, but I managed somehow.
    The trick I use to shoot kids is to let them look at the shot at the back-screen of the camera after they let me take the shot.
    Best,
    Osman
    P.S.: Wonderful eagle btw, you always encourage me to use my 200-400.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Lloyd and Matt for your kind remarks and your viewpoints on the 200-400. Food for thoughts.
    And Matt, that eagle capture : +1 more Voff, as Leif has now taught us to put it

Leif, congratulations with your nearly new very old Nikon rig. Beautiful micro world capture, glad you're back on the board

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Great image Matt, and I love the b/w here. I completely agree about the 200-400, seriously under-rated!
    Lloyd: Thank you. That's the first time that I've used that lens in awhile. The Statehouse is beautiful. Next time, I'm there, I'll have to take a look.

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leif e View Post
    Hey!

leif e
    leif: Welcome (back?). Very nice first post. The color, framing, are great and the focus looks good to me. I'd keep that lens.

Thanks. I'd posted that eagle before. Quickest image of the 200-400/4 max'd out that i could find. Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A quick homage to my infinitely patient and tolerant "better 90%":

Last evening, just home from a long day at work, and rushing to get ready for a run, she patiently allowed me to use her as a model while I tested some off-camera flash.

D3, 28-70/2.8:

Then it was off to the local high school track, where, all alone, only herself for motivation, she hammered out some hard intervals:

D3, 70-300 VR:

Women years younger strolled and chatted, while she put the petal to the metal!

D3, 70-300 VR:

Later, as raw as it gets, no makeup, and having just finished 5+ hard miles, she indulged me for one more shot.

D3, 70-300 VR:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

D3, 70-300 VR:
    Beautiful!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Steen: I know, the 400/2.8 is a beast. It weighs almost 3 lbs. more then the 200-400/4. I think the 200-400mm/f performs well at both ends of it's range. I've also used it with the TC-E14 successfully, IMHO. The attached photo was taken a few weeks after I got the camera and lens (just learning). And, it should work with the new 200-400/4.

The sweet spot for birds, seems to me, to be in the 400-500mm range, and you need a moderately fast lens/camera to shoot a 1000s +. I had a 500mm f/4 VR, but, it was too unwieldy, handheld (weighs 2 lbs. less then the 400/2.8, though). OK on a gimbal head tripod.

I've even tried a couple of the __-500mm Sigma's, but, always returned them because of unsatisfactory IQ. Nikon glass spoils you.

D3; 200-400mm f/4 w/TC-E14; 550mm; 1/1000a @ f/8; ISO 3200

Cheers, Matt

Awesome!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

[B]

More Duck Dodge Race. NW corner of Lake Union. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

D3s; 200-400mm f/4; 200mm; 1/2000s @ f/4; ISO 320.

Fantastic Contrast & Composition Matt!
    click for larger size (3.5 Mb)

Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 ZF • 1/800 sec. at f/8 ISO 400 • Capture NX
    Great Color & Comp Steen!
    Still sifting through my recent Pergamon shots. Kids this time. D700 and Nikkor 50/1.4 with some heavy pp.
    Best,
    Osman

Stunning & Heartfelt Set Osman!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Little More Color For Our Spirit's...

D700, R80 Summilux

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

D3, 28-70/2.8:
    Love This One Too Lloyd!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post

D700, R80 Summilux
    Holy cats!! That's a stunner, Steve. (You do know that I seriously lust after that lens, cuz!! And shots like this don't do anything to lessen it. )

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Love This One Too Lloyd!
    Thanks Steve. I think it's my fav of the group.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy cats!! That's a stunner, Steve. (You do know that I seriously lust after that lens, cuz!! And shots like this don't do anything to lessen it. )
    Thanks! Next Time You Come Home...It's yours for your stay....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! Next Time You Come Home...It's yours for your stay....
    Man don't tempt me. I just might book a trip for that alone!!!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful!
    Lloyd: +1. Nice series. That last one's terrific! I bought the 70-300 VR the other day to get a little more "reach" in a smaller lens. I'll try it out tomorrow. Looks like it'll do what I wanted it for. Cheers, Matt.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd: +1. Nice series. That last one's terrific! I bought the 70-300 VR the other day to get a little more "reach" in a smaller lens. I'll try it out tomorrow. Looks like it'll do what I wanted it for. Cheers, Matt.

Thanks Matt. I've been more than pleased. I had the earlier version, and this is a significant upgrade. Not the 70-200 for sure, but for the size, etc., it's pretty darn good. Famous NY photog Jay Maisel uses it almost exclusively on his D3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you, Steve.
    Lloyd, heart-warming series again!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

D700, R80 Summilux
    Steve: Thanks for your comments. Beautiful flower! Razored focus. Smiling children (ignore Osman's interrogatory) and a flower do brighten the spirits!

Did you have an R series, or just picked this lens up for the Nikon? And, you carry a spritz bottle? Nice touch.

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Steve.
    Lloyd, heart-warming series again!
    Thank you, Osman. I'm honored. (By the way, did the girl ever discover your nationality? That story had me on the floor laughing!)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt. I've been more than pleased. I had the earlier version, and this is a significant upgrade. Not the 70-200 for sure, but for the size, etc., it's pretty darn good. Famous NY photog Jay Maisel uses it almost exclusively on his D3.
    Lloyd: I'm looking forward to using it. I wasn't happy with the 80-400 that i had for a while. This is reputed to have better optics, and, of course, VR, less weight and cost. Cheers, Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you, Osman. I'm honored. (By the way, did the girl ever discover your nationality? That story had me on the floor laughing!)
    No Lloyd, to her exasperation, I didn't yield. Then she replied with a national gesture she knew me, as a Briton, would not know. This is equivalent to a gesture utilizing the middle finger, btw.

Here's the final moment of this heart-breaking episode:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

No Lloyd, to her exasperation, I didn't yield. Then she replied with a national gesture she knew me, as a Briton, would not know. This is equivalent to a gesture utilizing the middle finger, btw.

Hmmm... well, at least there's a smile on her face.

Glad you got the "good" shots first.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve: Thanks for your comments. Beautiful flower! Razored focus. Smiling children (ignore Osman's interrogatory) and a flower do brighten the spirits!

Did you have an R series, or just picked this lens up for the Nikon? And, you carry a spritz bottle? Nice touch.

Cheers, Matt

Thanks Matt! Actually got this lens off of a reputable dealer in Hong Kong from Flea-Bay & its one of my favorite lenses.It had the adapter already on it for Nikon. It rained all night & the flowers were soaked!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Some more from the Lake Union Duck Dodge boat people. Thanks for looking. The EXIF data in Zenfolio looks suspiciously the same? Have to check in Lightroom tonight. Thanks for looking. cheers, Matt.

1. D3s; 200-400mm f/4; 1/500s @ f/4; ISO 320

2. D3s; 200-400mm f/4; 1/500s @ f/4; ISO 320

3. D3s; 200-400mm f/4; 1/500s @ f/4; ISO 320

4. D3s; 200-400mm f/4; 1/500s @ f/4; ISO 320

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Some more from the Lake Union Duck Dodge boat people. Thanks for looking. The EXIF data in Zenfolio looks suspiciously the same? Have to check in Lightroom tonight. Thanks for looking. cheers, Matt.

1. D3s; 200-400mm f/4; 1/500s @ f/4; ISO 320

Great set! This first one looks like a collision is imminent. I hope there wasn't one.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

4. D3s; 200-400mm f/4; 1/500s @ f/4; ISO 320

Tremendous IQ & Set!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Osman: This is a great photo! The kids are "posing" a bit and seem in a playful mood. You caught a wonderful moment. Beautiful focus, OOF, and PP. Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt! Actually got this lens off of a reputable dealer in Hong Kong from Flea-Bay & its one of my favorite lenses.It had the adapter already on it for Nikon. It rained all night & the flowers were soaked!
    It's a great lens, used well. I was kidding about the spritz bottle.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Great set! This first one looks like a collision is imminent. I hope there wasn't one.
    Lloyd: Thank you! No collision - telephoto compression. Although, I'm surprised there weren't any! These guys were good.

Tremendous IQ & Set!
    Steve: Thank you!

Cheers, Matt

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Somewhat off topic, but just to update...

It has been somewhat unnerving over the last few days. We are about two miles from where the main protest group was located. Stocked up with food, water, and stayed out of harm's way. Any temptation to take photos was firmly squashed. Maybe on the weekend. Office where I work was closed for safety. So working from home.

I just feel sad for this country.

Cheers,

John
    More OT
    Here's a link that gives an interesting perspective to the situation. Lots of reading, since the sub-links are vital to understand this:

http://rebelnews.org/opinion/nwo/225...watra-marxists

Post Thanks / Like

This hawk hit a smaller bird in mid air and made it a meal. Was interesting to see him clean his beak and talons when he was done.

D3 w/70-200 vrii

Chris

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibcj View Post
    This hawk hit a smaller bird in mid air and made it a meal. Was interesting to see him clean his beak and talons when he was done.

D3 w/70-200 vrii
    Wow. Impressive stuff, Chris. Nicely seen and captured!

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Osman, very lovely child photos

More excellent sailboat shots, Matt. Really makes me want to go sailing.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Impressive stuff, Chris. Nicely seen and captured!
    Chris: +1. Great sequence. of shots. Beautiful PP. Well seen. Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Osman, very lovely child photos

More excellent sailboat shots, Matt. Really makes me want to go sailing.
    Jorgen: Thanks. It was a good day for sailing. Here's one for you - neck and neck! Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

D3s; 200-400mm f/4; 200mm; 1/800s @ f/4; ISO 320

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen: Thanks. It was a good day for sailing. Here's one for you - neck and neck! Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

D3s; 200-400mm f/4; 200mm; 1/800s @ f/4; ISO 320

Great shot Matt!!! Love this one!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

A little OT rant (it does involve an image shot with a Nikon): I find myself on the horns of a dilemma. I was informed today that one of my images now occupies a two-page spread in a national magazine. Pretty cool, on one hand (Mimi is in the image, btw, but only I know which person is her)... I picked up a copy of the magazine, and sure enough, there it is. However, I never granted permission for it's use, have not been compensated, and wouldn't have even known about it if a friend hadn't called it to my attention. What's more, I wasn't even given photo credit for the shot!

I've now done some checking and found out that the Race Director for a triathlon I shot gave them the image file, and it's used in a story promoting his race. I'm pretty sure that if I demand payment from the magazine, they'll just pass the cost through to the Race Director, saying in submitting the image, he had assured them he had the necessary rights for this use (it's right in their art submission policy). I know the guy, and he puts on a great race, but he and his team have lost money so far, and I'd like to see the race continue, and hopefully become successful, so I don't want him taking the hit.

Sooooo, I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do. I think I'd at least like to have photo credit. It would be nice to have the tear sheet in my portfolio. Any ideas?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Traffic jam on the lake. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. D3s; 200-400mm f/4; 400mm; 1/400s @ f/4; ISO 320

2. D3s; 200-400mm f/4; 400mm; 1/400s @ f/4; ISO 320

3. D3s; 200-400mm f/4; 400mm; 1/400s @ f/4; ISO 320

4. D3s; 200-400mm f/4; 400mm; 1/500s @ f/4; ISO 320

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A little OT rant (it does involve an image shot with a Nikon): I find myself on the horns of a dilemma. I was informed today that one of my images now occupies a two-page spread in a national magazine. Pretty cool, on one hand (Mimi is in the image, btw, but only I know which person is her)... I picked up a copy of the magazine, and sure enough, there it is. However, I never granted permission for it's use, have not been compensated, and wouldn't have even known about it if a friend hadn't called it to my attention. What's more, I wasn't even given photo credit for the shot!

I've now done some checking and found out that the Race Director for a triathlon I shot gave them the image file, and it's used in a story promoting his race. I'm pretty sure that if I demand payment from the magazine, they'll just pass the cost through to the Race Director, saying in submitting the image, he had assured them he had the necessary rights for this use (it's right in their art submission policy). I know the guy, and he puts on a great race, but he and his team have lost money so far, and I'd like to see the race continue, and hopefully become successful, so I don't want him taking the hit.

Sooooo, I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do. I think I'd at least like to have photo credit. It would be nice to have the tear sheet in my portfolio. Any ideas?
    Lloyd: Well, congratulations? I'm not versed in the law; but, it seems you're between a rock and a hard place. You're probably right; the magazine would have expected the Race Director to have the rights to use the photo. They'd probably expect him to rectify it, if confronted. At the least, a photo credit would be good. It'd be in the next issue; but, you'd have it in your portfolio. Good luck. Cheers, Matt

BTW: Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you, Matt and Jørgen.
    Chris, stunning shots!