The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Lloyd

Yesterday's post. D700 + 85mm f1.4 @ f1.4. What's interesting to me is that the subjects at the bottom (particularly the stems) are at a distance that yields fairly harsh bokeh. This lens is very, very good but is still a tad short of the Canon 85mm f1.2. The Nikon lens is much better from a focus speed standpoint, though, and is substantially smaller than the Canon.
Nice image, and good observations, Woody. I do like this lens, but am hoping for an update that will be superior. It's rumored to be in the offing. In that same range, the Leica R 80 lux is a marvel (as Steve has amply demonstrated here), as is the Zeiss 100 f2. (as Rayyan has shown us.) Both manual focus, but simply magic.

Lloyd

"The Wedding Photographer" The dumpster adds a little realism. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt
These are great, Matt! Nicely seen. I love the folks with the ballon hats in the second image. Great color, and nice performance from that new zoom, as well.

Lloyd

50C...hot and dry. They started at 0500 hrs. had lunch. 1 hr nap under a date palm. Lunch was bread, half a chicken. 2 bottles of water. I ate with them.

It is hot...very very hot. Working is near impossible. he just wanted to finish the job. He did it extremely well.
Rayyan: This shot simply leaves me speechless. Could easily be a cover photo for National Geographic, but in combination with your narrative, we feel so much more for this fellow than the image alone could every portray. Again, I'm speechless. A thousand thoughts race through my mind, but my fingers fail me when I try to express them.

Lloyd

We discovered this fledgeling Barred Owl in the woods behind the house today. It stayed there, unafraid, long enough for me to return to the house and grab my camera. I wish I'd grabbed the tripod too since it was in the dark of the forest on a dark day. My guess is that the parents were nearby and only waiting for the humans to depart so they could rescue their baby.
Beautiful shot, Tim. :thumbup: Great find, and well captured... the dark forest notwithstanding.

Lloyd

Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. D3s; 24-70mm f/2.8; 2; 1/5000 @ f/2.8

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
This is just flat gorgeous, Matt!! Stunning color, wonderful composition, and beautiful light. Like Rayyan said, all that's missing is the smell of the sea air, and the sounds of the gulls. And with an image like this, those parts jump right to mind. Great job!!:salute:

Lloyd

I had a 24-70 for a small period. left it unused. am thinking to get one
for convenience. Need your input on weight vs performance. I usually
only carry the zf 35 and the zf 100.

Thank you for sharing an excellent nook of your world.
Rayyan: This begs the question, is the ZF 35/2 the lens you used on your "three weeks in Scandinavia, one body, one lens" series?

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Some from work. Had to shoot a nearby old fashionned liquor shop, before renovation works. The owner wanted some prints to have souvenirs and decorate the new walls after the works. Had an appointment on a Friday, then he calls me early Thursday saying that "they'll eventually start this afternoon, can you come this morning?". :( :wtf: Just had time to grab a little gear, including one Ely BX500 +softbox (no way to setup two of them in the tiny place on such short notice and within their opening hours...). But worse, NO WA lens handy, the "widest" i could find was the lowly 35-80mm 1:4-5,6 zoom which was collecting dust in the closet since er, the better part of the 21st century. OTOH it was not per se a high performance job, so what the heck, and why not try and see what the outcome will be on a high pixel count FF body such as the D3X? If needed it'd srill be possible to save the day panning a couple of shots with the ZF50/2...

Anyhow, here's a couple of results, including a series of crops.

Far from perfect, but interesting keeping in mind the short notice, no preparation, about 90 minutes of total shooting time with customers around...

The files below are before the final processing, no perspective correction, etc.

a couple of 100% crops from the last image above:

Not that bad for a lens lens which goes for less than 50 bucks in LN condition...

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member

Not saying that i'll let the Zeiss go, though. It was simply a too long for the task at hand with limited time.

Here's one with the ZF50... btw the guy's got some serious stuff.

(note: looking at the posted photo, yet another case where the jpeg kills the file re DR, bokeh... well...)

Lloyd

Not saying that i'll let the Zeiss go, though. It was simply a too long for the task at hand with limited time.

(note: looking at the posted photo, yet another case where the jpeg kills the file re DR, bokeh... well...)
All things considered, Corlan, this is some pretty impressive work (this and the post above). And, if the DR, bokeh, etc., is "killed", by the jpeg, it must have been stunning indeed, as this image looks amazing.

m_driscoll

Matt: I am very partial to boats, ships, docks and ports. Seeing this photo
makes me wish to I was near.
You have excellently captured, what is naively called the sights and sounds
(minus the sea-gulls). I can smell the smell of the port. the sea, the ships
and can envision the houses beyond and envy them their owners for the
beautiful environment they live in. Hope the Artic Wind sails in fair weather.
Just show them your photographs if they have not noticed!
I had a 24-70 for a small period. left it unused. am thinking to get one
for convenience. Need your input on weight vs performance. I usually
only carry the zf 35 and the zf 100.
Thank you for sharing an excellent nook of your world.
rayyan: Thank you! :D I have way too many lenses; but, i grab that one a lot because of it's range and speed. Very useful! It's moderately big. On the other hand, it's on a big camera; it's not going to be M stealthy. Highly recommended.

Matt, wonderful wedding shots! As for the other photographer, we have a saying that can be translated as "He (she in this case) who goes hunting gets hunted";)
Osman: Thank you. Great saying! I find myself photographing a lot of photographers. There was a young girl the other day (maybe 10) that was taking photos outside a restaurant my wife and i were in. She had a high end p & s and was very serious. Lined up shots , moved to get better viewpoints, switched between vertical and horizontal, did all of the things "photographers" do. I wish I'd taken some pictures of her. She's probably the next Margaret Bourke-White. My D3s was on the window sill and my wife said the girl kept glancing at it. When they left, i told her mother that she took her photography very seriously and was fun to watch.
Matt: Artic Wind looks like a proud and fearless little vessel. The harbour atmosphere is very well rendered. Rayan's right, only the sound's missing.

Wedding photographer's well documented. Btw is it the real thing or a street fashion shoot? Bride and groom seem to act very much like pro models. Interesting to see how most people leave some free space without apparent restrictions. In many places (here included) you'd need some manpower to have a chance to secure even half of this kind of public area for the shoot.
Corlan: North Lake Union Shipyard (Artic Wind) is one building away from my office. I've always loved fishing and work boats. I did a paper in college on their functional design, and, spent two summers on one up North. The Arctic Wind was one of six crabbers that got busted in Russian Bering Sea waters in 2003. Fearless boat and equally fearless fisherman to go crabbing in up there.

Pretty sure that was an actual wedding shoot. They do it all of the time at that spot (iconic). Ashwin posted some Leica X1 photos of a different shoot at the same spot. We're very polite in Seattle.

Beautiful light & composition Matt!
Pure M.D. Greatness!!! :thumbs:
Steve: Thank you! :LOL:

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

Been offline for a few days, and off travelling tomorrow. Here's one anyway, just to prove that I'm still alive... just :)
D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 22mm and f/2.8
Jorgen: Thanks for checking in. It's good to know that you're still OK. Great viewpoint and light/shadow.

I don't do much portrait photography, but I am asked to photograph the grandchildren from time to time...
View attachment 31683
jlancaster: Good looking grandson and good looking photo!:thumbup:

Yesterday's post. D700 + 85mm f1.4 @ f1.4. What's interesting to me is that the subjects at the bottom (particularly the stems) are at a distance that yields fairly harsh bokeh. This lens is very, very good but is still a tad short of the Canon 85mm f1.2. The Nikon lens is much better from a focus speed standpoint, though, and is substantially smaller than the Canon.

Woody: Can't compare it to the Canon; but, it's one of my favorite Nikon lenses. I like this photo with the balance between the upper and lower flowers. I don't think the bokeh is harsh.

Matt: Once again you have proven that there is something happening just around the corner!
Love the bw.
Regards.
rayyan: Thank you, sir. :D This is one of those instances where the 24-70mm f/2.8 would have been better than the lens i had.

These are great, Matt! Nicely seen. I love the folks with the ballon hats in the second image. Great color, and nice performance from that new zoom, as well.
This is just flat gorgeous, Matt!! Stunning color, wonderful composition, and beautiful light. Like Rayyan said, all that's missing is the smell of the sea air, and the sounds of the gulls. And with an image like this, those parts jump right to mind. Great job!!:salute:
Lloyd: Thank you, thank you! :D :D The girls with the tied balloon hats were transfixed by the bride and groom. Their expressions in the second photo are great. Serendipity.

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

All things considered, Corlan, this is some pretty impressive work (this and the post above). And, if the DR, bokeh, etc., is "killed", by the jpeg, it must have been stunning indeed, as this image looks amazing.
Corlan: +1, what Lloyd said. Looks like a nice shop. Why are they remodeling? Did you shoot any panos to get a larger impression? On the other hand, the "details" may provide the best images, and don't draw any comparison between the old and new.

Cheers, Matt

rayyan

Rayyan: This shot simply leaves me speechless. Could easily be a cover photo for National Geographic, but in combination with your narrative, we feel so much more for this fellow than the image alone could every portray. Again, I'm speechless. A thousand thoughts race through my mind, but my fingers fail me when I try to express them.
Lloyd: :eek: :eek:

Rayyan: This begs the question, is the ZF 35/2 the lens you used on your "three weeks in Scandinavia, one body, one lens" series?
Lloyd: The plastic Nikkor 50/1.4 D.

Corian: The ones above are gloriously old world. This one makes me want
to open the bottle. It is that good. The shot :D I am a soft drinks person.

Lovely to look at and I am sure to taste.

Regards.

rayyan

Grandpa, Julie had a dream where she saw that I was the President; said Hamza.

Where were you born? I asked.

Texas, just like my dad; said Hamza with obvious and rightful pride.

Look he said pointing the 2 stickons on his monitor. One was a Single Star, on the right a bigger one with many Stars and Stripes.

Do you have a detailed birth certificate, I asked. Hamza ignored me. I have
traveled the world. I have crossed the States, many times, North/South, East/West.

I know there is no place on earth where Julie and Hamza can realize their
dreams..except here..in the States. America is bigger than their dreams, much bigger. I could hear it say..' Julie, just a President? I expect you
and Hamza to ask something bigger of me '. Only in the States. I know.

Boy, I said..You want to go with me on a small holiday? Yippee!!

Where? The best people, the best food, the best music, the best country.

Better than Texas? You decide I said.

Than I remembered another child. Mela. In a country far far away. She too
has dreams...

I picked up the phone to make a reservation. Hamza and me. New Orleans, Jackson, Nashville, Memphis and back. I knew what to do, where to go and
where to stay. Clark, eat your heart out. I am a comin and I don't give a damn either.