Site Sponsors
Page 63 of 106 FirstFirst ... 13 53 61 62 63 64 65 73 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,150 of 5290

Thread: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

  1. #3101
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Matt, nice warm tones, and light.
    Contrast transitions seem to be well controlled for a super fast aperture, out of the box. So are the HL (except maybe for the reflections in the foreground, but this can't probably be tamed out of PP anyway)

    "Office deck" by the water? Sounds like another s**tty day at work!

  2. #3102
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Matt, intense color,nice framing & view & excellent "G" force!
    Yes indeed.

  3. #3103
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Did not shoot much in August -lotsa things to do and attend to. One afternoon though, after two appointments on the road i decided to take a break from the frenze and pay a visit to a cathedral not far from there (first image from that day was posted page 58 of this thread). Just had the body and 105 VR in the car, changing light, so maybe not the best kit for a monument but well, why not give it a try.

    Got a lot of shots from that hour (exactly 80 minutes from the EXIFS, minus a 15 minutes soda break on a cafe terrace, not shooting) by the cathedral square, and a whole story developping. More on that later.

    What made me think again about those pictures was Steve's recent remark about "the most exotic squirrel" routine. Hey, don't we all get busted in that exercice.
    In that particular case, after a first series outside, some inside the chruch, and soda break over, the sun hid behind the clouds and i sat on some stairs for a few minutes. Took a few candids, nobody noticing, until...


    "Made"




    "Hey, this guy is taking our photo" he said, quite loud in my direction.
    "Me ? nooo..."

    "But if you want, i can."
    "Free of charge?"
    "Yes. And, you'll get prints"

    He yelled towards a small group of young fellows "Guys, this guy will take our picture. And, we'll all get free prints"
    So be it.

    Got many shots from all of them, they turned out to be great company and outstanding improvised models.
    I'll post more from each of them, but for now, let's get back to our original subject.


    Meet youg Kevin C.






    Wait... let me think. Maybe it's Brad P. ?






    Or... well, i don't know...





    That's when i heard a deep voice behind me muttering something about "2:35". Turned my head and saw a larger-than-life gentleman with a beard, and a full set of Panavision equipement nearby.
    Though intimidated, i asked "I'm confused, this guy looks like an actor, but not sure who he is". He grumbled "Name's Clint, pensano".

    Hey, thanks for the tip, Mr Leone.
    Get closer. Clic.


  4. #3104
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    ...

    Some BW and little bit of glamour treatment later, got another print version -and his favourite.





    It was a nice day... (with more images to come)

  5. #3105
    Senior Member otumay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    1,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Corlan, what a nice story to accompany those excellent captures! Do post more!

  6. #3106
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Thanks Osman

  7. #3107
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    I swear i saw this guy holding 2 large stone tablets with writing on them somewhere..


    D700, 85G
    Steve: I keep returning to this one. I think it's a Matthew Brady photo of Robert E. Lee from 1869 ( please don't take offense if you're South of the Mason-Dixon).

    The photo really is exceptionally well done!

    Cheers, Matt

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

  8. #3108
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Steve: I keep returning to this one. I think it's a Matthew Brady photo of Robert E. Lee from 1869 ( please don't take offense if you're South of the Mason-Dixon).

    The photo really is exceptionally well done!

    Cheers, Matt

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Too funny Matt!

    And Steve, I agree with Matt... this is exceptional.

  9. #3109
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Matt, intense color,nice framing & view & excellent "G" force!
    Steve: Thanks. It's not a "pro" lens, but, it has some possibilities. I found this yesterday: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/28-300mm.htm

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Matt, nice warm tones, and light.
    Contrast transitions seem to be well controlled for a super fast aperture, out of the box. So are the HL (except maybe for the reflections in the foreground, but this can't probably be tamed out of PP anyway)

    "Office deck" by the water? Sounds like another s**tty day at work!
    Corlan: Yeah, it seem OK. Well, I was at work!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Yes indeed.
    Lloyd: Thanks for the comment.

    Please see the other thread that I started for some "test" shots.

    Cheers, Matt

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

  10. #3110
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Did not shoot much in August -lotsa things to do and attend to. One afternoon though, after two appointments on the road i decided to take a break from the frenzy and pay a visit to a cathedral not far from there (first image from that day was posted page 58 of this thread). Just had the body and 105 VR in the car, changing light, so maybe not the best kit for a monument but well, why not give it a try.

    Got a lot of shots from that hour (exactly 80 minutes from the EXIFS, minus a 15 minutes soda break on a cafe terrace, not shooting) by the cathedral square, and a whole story developping. More on that later.

    What made me think again about those pictures was Steve's recent remark about "the most exotic squirrel" routine. Hey, don't we all get busted in that exercice.
    In that particular case, after a first series outside, some inside the chruch, and soda break over, the sun hid behind the clouds and i sat on some stairs for a few minutes. Took a few candids, nobody noticing, until...

    "Made"

    "Hey, this guy is taking our photo" he said, quite loud in my direction.
    "Me ? nooo..."
    "But if you want, i can."
    "Free of charge?"
    "Yes. And, you'll get prints"
    He yelled towards a small group of young fellows "Guys, this guy will take our picture. And, we'll all get free prints"
    So be it.
    Got many shots from all of them, they turned out to be great company and outstanding improvised models.
    I'll post more from each of them, but for now, let's get back to our original subject.
    Meet young Kevin C.
    Wait... let me think. Maybe it's Brad P. ?

    Or... well, i don't know...
    That's when i heard a deep voice behind me muttering something about "2:35". Turned my head and saw a larger-than-life gentleman with a beard, and a full set of Panavision equipement nearby.
    Though intimidated, i asked "I'm confused, this guy looks like an actor, but not sure who he is". He grumbled "Name's Clint, pensano".
    Hey, thanks for the tip, Mr Leone.
    Get closer. Clic.
    Corlan: These are great! Nice story, also. I think it certainly adds to these photos that you were "made".

    The first photo has great dynamics between the two guys and the dog. Nicely balanced vectors. Cool body language.

    The framing in the third and the last close-up portraits is excellent. He could be a movie star. He looks like a German guy that used to work for me.

    The tone in these photos is clear and light, not over-saturated, and looks great.


    Cheers, Matt

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

  11. #3111
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    She thinks she's a movie star. Cheers, Matt

    D300; 70-200mm f/2.8; 200mm; 1/125s @ f/9; ISO 400


    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

  12. #3112
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Steve: I keep returning to this one. I think it's a Matthew Brady photo of Robert E. Lee from 1869 ( please don't take offense if you're South of the Mason-Dixon).

    The photo really is exceptionally well done!

    Cheers, Matt

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Matt, Some People Call Him Colonel Angus..
    Thank You!

  13. #3113
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Did not shoot much in August -lotsa things to do and attend to. One afternoon though, after two appointments on the road i decided to take a break from the frenze and pay a visit to a cathedral not far from there (first image from that day was posted page 58 of this thread). Just had the body and 105 VR in the car, changing light, so maybe not the best kit for a monument but well, why not give it a try.

    Got a lot of shots from that hour (exactly 80 minutes from the EXIFS, minus a 15 minutes soda break on a cafe terrace, not shooting) by the cathedral square, and a whole story developping. More on that later.

    What made me think again about those pictures was Steve's recent remark about "the most exotic squirrel" routine. Hey, don't we all get busted in that exercice.
    In that particular case, after a first series outside, some inside the chruch, and soda break over, the sun hid behind the clouds and i sat on some stairs for a few minutes. Took a few candids, nobody noticing, until...


    "Made"




    "Hey, this guy is taking our photo" he said, quite loud in my direction.
    "Me ? nooo..."

    "But if you want, i can."
    "Free of charge?"
    "Yes. And, you'll get prints"

    He yelled towards a small group of young fellows "Guys, this guy will take our picture. And, we'll all get free prints"
    So be it.

    Got many shots from all of them, they turned out to be great company and outstanding improvised models.
    I'll post more from each of them, but for now, let's get back to our original subject.


    Meet youg Kevin C.






    Wait... let me think. Maybe it's Brad P. ?






    Or... well, i don't know...





    That's when i heard a deep voice behind me muttering something about "2:35". Turned my head and saw a larger-than-life gentleman with a beard, and a full set of Panavision equipement nearby.
    Though intimidated, i asked "I'm confused, this guy looks like an actor, but not sure who he is". He grumbled "Name's Clint, pensano".

    Hey, thanks for the tip, Mr Leone.
    Get closer. Clic.

    Great Story & Greater Pictures! Superb!

  14. #3114
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    She thinks she's a movie star. Cheers, Matt

    D300; 70-200mm f/2.8; 200mm; 1/125s @ f/9; ISO 400


    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Sharp!

  15. #3115
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Little Color..

    1.

    2.

    3.

    4.

    5.
    D700, 85G

  16. #3116
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Thanks a lot, Matt. Appreciate your comments
    And, "she" definitely looks like a movie star. I always had a suspicion pretty much each cat is an actor, playing the starring part in their own "inner movies".
    That would explain a lot


    Steve, thanks
    The set above looks gorgeous. The first photo in particular is simply jaw-dropping. Wow.
    And, the (front) bokeh in the last one is pretty spectacular to say the least.

    Be careful though, or you'll make the Zeiss 100m the jealous type, soon!

  17. #3117
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post

    Steve, thanks
    The set above looks gorgeous. The first photo in particular is simply jaw-dropping. Wow.
    And, the (front) bokeh in the last one is pretty spectacular to say the least.

    Be careful though, or you'll make the Zeiss 100m the jealous type, soon!
    Thanks Corlan! Almost busted out the 100MP but wanted to see how the 85G performed with color. Might be Zeisscream Time Though!

  18. #3118
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Sharp!
    Steve: Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Thanks a lot, Matt. Appreciate your comments
    And, "she" definitely looks like a movie star. I always had a suspicion pretty much each cat is an actor, playing the starring part in their own "inner movies".
    That would explain a lot

    Steve, thanks
    The set above looks gorgeous. The first photo in particular is simply jaw-dropping. Wow.
    And, the (front) bokeh in the last one is pretty spectacular to say the least.

    Be careful though, or you'll make the Zeiss 100m the jealous type, soon!
    Steve: Really beautiful! I'm just going to say maximum +1. The isolation, framing, and color are superb. You pushed the envelope again. Cheers, Matt.

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

  19. #3119
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Steve: Thanks!


    Steve: Really beautiful! I'm just going to say maximum +1. The isolation, framing, and color are superb. You pushed the envelope again. Cheers, Matt.

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    I can't think of anything I could add to that. Huge, maximum +1

  20. #3120
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Looked in my rear view mirror on the way home from work and stopped a couple of times. Cheers, Matt

    1. D3s; 28-300mm; 200mm; 1/80s @ f/5.6; ISO 200


    2. D3s; 28-300mm; 122mm; 1/40s @ f/11; ISO 360


    3. D3s; 28-300mm; 28mm; 1/40s @ f/11; ISO 500


    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

  21. #3121
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post

    Steve: Really beautiful! I'm just going to say maximum +1. The isolation, framing, and color are superb. You pushed the envelope again. Cheers, Matt.

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    I can't think of anything I could add to that. Huge, maximum +1
    Thanks guys!!!

  22. #3122
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Looked in my rear view mirror on the way home from work and stopped a couple of times. Cheers, Matt

    1. D3s; 28-300mm; 200mm; 1/80s @ f/5.6; ISO 200



    3. D3s; 28-300mm; 28mm; 1/40s @ f/11; ISO 500


    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Thats the Glow We All look For! Glad You Pulled Over Matt!

  23. #3123
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Thats the Glow We All look For!
    +1 but... as late as possible though!

    Yup, beautiful Matt. Not easy to capture.
    And, Seattle (or parts of) is definitely one of the cities where intricate wires are part of the scenery. Ironically, these old systems give an authentic feel to the scenery, somehow.

  24. #3124
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    An hour by the Cathedral Square (Portraits - Pt.2)

    An hour by the Cathedral Square (Portraits - Pt.2)

    (a small digression)
    Didn't mention that in the previous post, but these guys -more especially the two with the dogs- are "homeless". Well, maybe not to the full extent of what the word can cover (they don't sleep under cardboard sheets for one thing, and have access to Public Health services), but they live mostly on welfare and spend nights either in youth hostels when permitted, or state endowed shelters. And when they can't provide food to their dogs, they go to either the police station or animal shelters to get some free bags.

    Like so many others, they're on public housing's waiting lists... Distant or broken families, finding a job seems like an impossible mission to them (recent economic state of affairs surely doesn't help). There's a whole generation of people in the same predicament, all over Europe. Sad.

    Anyway, they're enjoyable company, and seemed to appreciate some interest other than the occasionnal charity coin. Photography can establish a different relationship between strangers, and create a form of respect, too.

    Here's the group shot, first photo after being "made":



    On technicalities, beside the fact that i suck at group shots, since i was there on a relaxing basis i had decided earlier to use the kit as a P&S: fixed ISO (100), single AF, A mode, one aperture (f2.8 inside, f4 outside to account for the fast changing weather, and light due to bands of thick clouds, a bit of wind). For some shots a slower aperture would've probably helped, but hey

  25. #3125
    Senior Member otumay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    1,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Matt and Corlan, my hat off for your mastery, gentlemen!

  26. #3126
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    A bit better when getting closer, i guess:




    yes, they kinda pose, at first...




    A lil' Rayan routine was needed to get this one:




  27. #3127
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Looked in my rear view mirror on the way home from work and stopped a couple of times. Cheers, Matt

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
    Really great images Matt. That last one has a very painterly quality to it.

  28. #3128
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    A bit better when getting closer, i guess:

    A lil' Rayan routine was needed to get this one:



    All of these (and the group shot above), are beyond excellent, Corlan. The color in that last one is spot on. And that Rayan routine worked wonders.

  29. #3129
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    (correction: a fair deal of the Rayyan sweettalk was required )

    Apparently some portraits look a bit desaturated after posting, depending on browsers. it's true that the printer service i use for that kind of quick stuff has a tendency to slightly oversaturate skin tones. Prints look good... and after all it the primary intent when processing the files. Here's a couple of bw versions to get rid of any brower discrepancy.












    Btw, sorry to hijack the thread... i've hesitated to create a separate one... well, feel free to tell me. There's more to come

  30. #3130
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Thanks Osman, and thanks, Lloyd for your kind words.
    As mentioned above i find close up portraits with critical skin tones harder to share with consistency over the internet (forum & browsers file handling, monitors, settings...) than with files viewed in PS or prints. Well, it's still a nice tool

  31. #3131
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    (correction: a fair deal of the Rayyan sweettalk was required )

    Apparently some portraits look a bit desaturated after posting, depending on browsers. it's true that the printer service i use for that kind of quick stuff has a tendency to slightly oversaturate skin tones. Prints look good... and after all it the primary intent when processing the files. Here's a couple of bw versions to get rid of any brower discrepancy.

    Btw, sorry to hijack the thread... i've hesitated to create a separate one... well, feel free to tell me. There's more to come
    Post away. Having them here makes it more convenient than having to go to a separate thread. My $.02 anyway.

    These b/w are nice as well. I actually like the b/w version of the first one better than the color. I think I prefer the color version of that last one, however. The b/w is good, I just think the color version is exceptional.

  32. #3132
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: An hour by the Cathedral Square (Portraits - Pt.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    An hour by the Cathedral Square (Portraits - Pt.2)

    (a small digression)
    Didn't mention that in the previous post, but these guys -more especially the two with the dogs- are "homeless". Well, maybe not to the full extent of what the word can cover (they don't sleep under cardboard sheets for one thing, and have access to Public Health services), but they live mostly on welfare and spend nights either in youth hostels when permitted, or state endowed shelters. And when they can't provide food to their dogs, they go to either the police station or animal shelters to get some free bags.

    Like so many others, they're on public housing's waiting lists... Distant or broken families, finding a job seems like an impossible mission to them (recent economic state of affairs surely doesn't help). There's a whole generation of people in the same predicament, all over Europe. Sad.

    Anyway, they're enjoyable company, and seemed to appreciate some interest other than the occasionnal charity coin. Photography can establish a different relationship between strangers, and create a form of respect, too.

    Here's the group shot, first photo after being "made":



    On technicalities, beside the fact that i suck at group shots, since i was there on a relaxing basis i had decided earlier to use the kit as a P&S: fixed ISO (100), single AF, A mode, one aperture (f2.8 inside, f4 outside to account for the fast changing weather, and light due to bands of thick clouds, a bit of wind). For some shots a slower aperture would've probably helped, but hey
    Nice of you to take the time & show these kids some interest Corlan! This shot speaks volumes about their plight. Everyone deserves a place to call home! Great series & keep up the Special Work!

  33. #3133
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    (correction: a fair deal of the Rayyan sweettalk was required )

    Apparently some portraits look a bit desaturated after posting, depending on browsers. it's true that the printer service i use for that kind of quick stuff has a tendency to slightly oversaturate skin tones. Prints look good... and after all it the primary intent when processing the files. Here's a couple of bw versions to get rid of any brower discrepancy.












    Btw, sorry to hijack the thread... i've hesitated to create a separate one... well, feel free to tell me. There's more to come
    Love the B&W's C!

  34. #3134
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: An hour by the Cathedral Square (Portraits - Pt.2)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Post away. Having them here makes it more convenient than having to go to a separate thread. My $.02 anyway.

    These b/w are nice as well. I actually like the b/w version of the first one better than the color. I think I prefer the color version of that last one, however. The b/w is good, I just think the color version is exceptional.
    Thanks for the input, Lloyd.

    Incidentally re the versions that's exactly my preference also. I really like the B&W of the first shot. Feel it gives more credit to his face's expression, too.
    He's a quiet though heartful character.


    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Nice of you to take the time & show these kids some interest Corlan! This shot speaks volumes about their plight. Everyone deserves a place to call home! Great series & keep up the Special Work!
    Thanks my friend. I was sure you'd have a keen eye on this particular one

    When they saw it in print, one each,, their comment was: "it's like we were in a movie". Notwithstanding the obvious actual technical shortcomings of the photograph(y) in question, it really made my day.

  35. #3135
    Senior Member Jason Muelver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Fantastic stuff!

    Wedding season is cooling down, so I'll be able to play more ;-)

    Like this morning

    http://jasonedwardphoto.com http://jasonmuelver.tumblr.com
    Nikon FX, Leica M8, Mamiya 645, Canon F-1

  36. #3136
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Really like this one, Jason.
    Will remind many of us those long overnight drives... the kind of blurred impression you get after stopping for coffee after hours, and walking back to your car for yet some more hundred miles...

    Excellent!

  37. #3137
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Really like this one, Jason.
    Will remind many of us those long overnight drives... the kind of blurred impression you get after stopping for coffee after hours, and walking back to your car for yet some more hundred miles...

    Excellent!
    +1 for sure. Really nice.

  38. #3138
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Meet my friend, Karl Meltzer. Karl is one of the most accomplished Ultrarunners in the world. He has won nearly thirty (yes, 30) 100-mile races, winning 6 last year alone... the third time he's won 6 in one year... no one else has ever won more than 4 in one year! In 2008, he ran the length of the Appalachian Trail (more than 2000 miles), in 55 days!

    Karl is currently running from Sacramento, California to St. Joseph, Missouri, following the route of the Pony Express (this year is the 150th Anniversary of the Pony Express). He's "The Human Express". He started on September 15th, and as of today has run nearly 800 miles across California, Nevada and Utah. (Averaging about 50 miles per day). I caught up with him this morning and took these. Karl will run to his home today (about a mile from mine), and then take a well-earned break tomorrow, resuming his run on Friday. Mimi and I will be running with him either Friday or Saturday.

    You can follow Karl's progress online here: http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satelli...21242902803608

    D3, 200-400/f4:


    Last edited by Lloyd; 29th September 2010 at 12:31.

  39. #3139
    Senior Member otumay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Posts
    1,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Very good shots, Lloyd, especially the second one.

  40. #3140
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Muelver View Post
    Fantastic stuff!

    Wedding season is cooling down, so I'll be able to play more ;-)

    Like this morning

    This is my mind when relaxed! Great shot Jason!

  41. #3141
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Meet my friend, Karl Meltzer. Karl is one of the most accomplished Ultrarunners in the world. He has won nearly 30 100-mile races, winning 6 last year alone... the third time he's won 6 in one year... no one else has ever won more than 4 in one year! In 2008, he ran the length of the Appalachian Trail (more than 2000 miles), in 55 days!

    Karl is currently running from Sacramento, California to St. Joseph, Missouri, following the route of the Pony Express (this year is the 150th Anniversary of the Pony Express). He's "The Human Express". He started on September 15th, and as of today has run nearly 800 miles across California, Nevada and Utah. (Averaging about 50 miles per day). I caught up with him this morning and took these. Karl will run to his home today (about a mile from mine), and then take a well-earned break tomorrow, resuming his run on Friday. Mimi and I will be running with him either Friday or Saturday.

    You can follow Karl's progress online here: http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satelli...21242902803608

    D3, 200-400/f4:


    Talk about IronMan! This is one of the most Incredible feats of pushing ones body that i've ever heard off! Best of luck & health to him! Excellent grabs Lloyd!

  42. #3142
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Samuel Clemens?


    D700 85G

  43. #3143
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!


    D700, 85G

  44. #3144
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Lloyd, incredible guy, your great shots do him justice.
    Composition is excellent in the second shot, i'm personally more drawn to the first one where you're brought closer to the essence of the effort.

  45. #3145
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    More splendid monochromes, Steve.
    The portrait in situation is wonderful. not sure what's happening in the second shot, but clearly more disturbing. Which is not meant as a bad thing... but it is.

  46. #3146
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    More splendid monochromes, Steve.
    The portrait in situation is wonderful. not sure what's happening in the second shot, but clearly more disturbing. Which is not meant as a bad thing... but it is.
    Thanks C! Understand what you mean about the 2nd shot, but it's a Harsh Reality. Always Appreciated.

  47. #3147
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    Very good shots, Lloyd, especially the second one.
    Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Talk about IronMan! This is one of the most Incredible feats of pushing ones body that i've ever heard off! Best of luck & health to him! Excellent grabs Lloyd!
    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Lloyd, incredible guy, your great shots do him justice.
    Composition is excellent in the second shot, i'm personally more drawn to the first one where you're brought closer to the essence of the effort.
    Thank you gentlemen. Karl is an incredible person, on many counts.

    He just arrived at his home a little while ago. Today was a long, hard day... much more pavement today(he's been on a lot of trails and dirt roads the past 10 days, across Nevada and western Utah). Pretty hot today as well, which is especially tough in combination with the blacktop. Also, he ran about 3 or 4 hours longer than usual because he wanted to make it home today. Bottom line, he got it done, so he can shower and sleep in his own bed tonight!

  48. #3148
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    10,398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Another shot from today; different processing.

    D3, 200-400/f4:

  49. #3149
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    shtarka1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    6,606
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Very nice light & tone here Lloyd! You can feel the "Chi"!

  50. #3150
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    +1 but... as late as possible though!
    Yup, beautiful Matt. Not easy to capture.
    And, Seattle (or parts of) is definitely one of the cities where intricate wires are part of the scenery. Ironically, these old systems give an authentic feel to the scenery, somehow.
    Corlan: Thanks. New construction usually "undergrounds" the utilities. My neighborhood is "old" -ca 1910.

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    An hour by the Cathedral Square (Portraits - Pt.2)
    (a small digression)
    Didn't mention that in the previous post, but these guys -more especially the two with the dogs- are "homeless". Well, maybe not to the full extent of what the word can cover (they don't sleep under cardboard sheets for one thing, and have access to Public Health services), but they live mostly on welfare and spend nights either in youth hostels when permitted, or state endowed shelters. And when they can't provide food to their dogs, they go to either the police station or animal shelters to get some free bags.

    Like so many others, they're on public housing's waiting lists... Distant or broken families, finding a job seems like an impossible mission to them (recent economic state of affairs surely doesn't help). There's a whole generation of people in the same predicament, all over Europe. Sad.

    Anyway, they're enjoyable company, and seemed to appreciate some interest other than the occasionnal charity coin. Photography can establish a different relationship between strangers, and create a form of respect, too.
    Here's the group shot, first photo after being "made":

    On technicalities, beside the fact that i suck at group shots, since i was there on a relaxing basis i had decided earlier to use the kit as a P&S: fixed ISO (100), single AF, A mode, one aperture (f2.8 inside, f4 outside to account for the fast changing weather, and light due to bands of thick clouds, a bit of wind). For some shots a slower aperture would've probably helped, but hey
    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    A bit better when getting closer, i guess:
    yes, they kinda pose, at first...
    A lil' Rayan routine was needed to get this one:
    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    (correction: a fair deal of the Rayyan sweettalk was required )
    Apparently some portraits look a bit desaturated after posting, depending on browsers. it's true that the printer service i use for that kind of quick stuff has a tendency to slightly oversaturate skin tones. Prints look good... and after all it the primary intent when processing the files. Here's a couple of bw versions to get rid of any brower discrepancy.

    Btw, sorry to hijack the thread... i've hesitated to create a separate one... well, feel free to tell me. There's more to come
    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Thanks Osman, and thanks, Lloyd for your kind words.
    As mentioned above i find close up portraits with critical skin tones harder to share with consistency over the internet (forum & browsers file handling, monitors, settings...) than with files viewed in PS or prints. Well, it's still a nice tool
    Corlan: Well done! I like the group shot and didn't see any problems with the color. The narrative really adds to the photos. Thanks for that. Don't look quite as "rasty" as some of the homeless around here, but it still's sad that it exists in the wealthiest societies on the planet. I think the social support in Europe for some (ignore the romany for the time being) is better then here.

    Your interaction with them was great. Your photos are great. I like this last guy's style as brought out in your captures.

    Cheers, Matt

    http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

    Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    Matt and Corlan, my hat off for your mastery, gentlemen!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Really great images Matt. That last one has a very painterly quality to it.
    Osman/Lloyd: Thank you, gentlemen!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •