The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Lloyd

Better to be lucky than good sometimes.

D3, 28-70/2.8 @ 45mm f5 This is a 3 second exposure, ISO 200, handheld:

The fun part was that this was our granddaughter's first fireworks show. She loved it!

Last edited:

Lloyd

The fireworks backdrop, about 90 minutes before the show:

D3, 70-300 VR @ 5.6 ISO 1600:

The show before the show (All with the D3, 70-300 VR):

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Lloyd, haven't you heard? One does not take good fireworks photos hand held. It's impossible, impolite and makes your fellow photographers feel inferior :(

Great shots :thumbs:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I was planning to buy a D700, but something went wrong, so I bought a nice, second hand D300 instead. Tried it out last week. Nice camera :)

D300 with Tamron 17-50 @ 34mm and f/6.3

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Lloyd, very nice set. Cool fireworks (hanheld :shocked:), so are the cops/firemen (?), the lady reading... all of them. Then of course, the shot with Mimi and lil' pumpkin do steal the show... simply, way beyond priceless. :toocool:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Corlan: Nice medieval tower. I wonder how much of that damage is from last century's wars? Although, if you put a machine gun in there, it would have been blown to bits. Maybe too obvious for last century's wars. I like the PP. The sky has an attractive grain.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
Let's say that in addition to 'historical' damages, plus the last WW bombings (roofs...), various guns and methods were used by troops leaving the area about 65 years ago with the intention of leaving very little monuments standing. Hopefully they were in a hurry and did not succeed everywhere (and many buildings proved way sturdier than expected). I've started to document that aspect last year then found it too depressing -hearing all the local stories, too.

Corlan: Thanks. I hung around, talked to them, tipped them, tried a little "rayyan" on them. Not my usual smash and grab. If, I was 35years younger and unmarried...I'll keep you in mind re: the 24mm PC-E.

Cheers, Matt

mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
:D

("tried a little "rayyan" on them" :ROTFL: :toocool:)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks Lloyd, Matt, Tim, Steve, for your kind words. :)

Tim, for sure they knew how to build them sturdy at the time, pretty much with bare hands, a couple of tools and astute brains. Another round one then, couple of hundred miles from there... got targetted and hammered pretty badly over history, but somehow still standing.
Lovely shapes, Corlan.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
I was planning to buy a D700, but something went wrong, so I bought a nice, second hand D300 instead. Tried it out last week. Nice camera :)

D300 with Tamron 17-50 @ 34mm and f/6.3

It can make colour photos also. Pretty advanced, eh?

D300 with Tamron 17-50 @ 17mm and f/8

Looking nice, Jorgen.
Now that these are going for a "song", it'll be interesting to hear about your ongoing thoughts -and results- with that body. Would make a nice backup, and a nice "zoom" when using a FF main body.
Still using ACR for raw comversion? Took me some time to find and fine tune the profile with the D700 (and ended up using C1 eventually). Apparently the recent ACR updates, such as the one used by Lloyd in LR3 is a great improvement.

edit:

Lovely shapes, Corlan.
Now i feel like someone's trying "a little Rayyan" on me :rolleyes: :ROTFL: :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Corlan. So far, I'm very happy with the D300. It's too big and too heavy for travel, at least for me, but what comes out of it looks better than I had expected. A nice partner for the S5. I'm very happy with ACR, currently using CS4. Consider upgrading to CS5 and/or LR3 within the near future.

For me, getting used to another user interface is such a large obstacle that I don't really consider other software at the moment.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Corlan. So far, I'm very happy with the D300. It's too big and too heavy for travel, at least for me, but what comes out of it looks better than I had expected. A nice partner for the S5. I'm very happy with ACR, currently using CS4. Consider upgrading to CS5 and/or LR3 within the near future.

For me, getting used to another user interface is such a large obstacle that I don't really consider other software at the moment.
Yes i was aware at the new interface side of things :) Just wondering if you were satisfied with first results in ACR, and mentionning that a little bit of tweaking was sometimes welcome with these files.

I cannot remember the D300 as being much bigger than the S5, but then it's true that i don't care too much about that...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Yes i was aware at the new interface side of things :) Just wondering if you were satisfied with first results in ACR, and mentionning that a little bit of tweaking was sometimes welcome with these files.

I cannot remember the D300 as being much bigger than the S5, but then it's true that i don't care too much about that...
I'm quite satisfied with the results from ACR, but I treat each photo individually, so the interface is probably more important for me than what the software does by itself.

The D300 is 5 grams heavier and 1 mm taller than the S5, but apart from that, they are identical. I guess that isn't really noticeable, except for really bad days :toocool:
On the other hand, I think the S5 is to large also. The D80/90 with grip is perfect for me, but for the kind of work I do now, the D300 is a much better option.

H

HarrisGraeberII

Originally Posted by [B said:
HarrisGraeberII[/b]
Blooming with Life, bejeweled with Death
June 28, 2010
(clickable thumbnail)

m_driscoll;225136]Harris: Interesting image. Very detailed. Nice color and OOF.
/quote]

Harris, nice selective focus, color & composition!

Thanks Matt, thanks Steve. The wind was waving the sunflowers back and forth, and when I took this photo, I thought the bee was landing. What a surprise when I brought it up large in Lightroom!

Harris