The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Lloyd

I'm not posting the really raunchy, strange photos. Don't want to offend anybody (including myself). A few more from the other night's Burlesque. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

3. D3s; 24-70mm f/2.8mm; 70mm; 1/15s @ f/3.5; ISO 25600
Nice results Matt, but this one 25600:bugeyes::bugeyes::bugeyes: I have to say, I'm genuinely impressed!!

m_driscoll

Nice results Matt, but this one 25600:bugeyes::bugeyes::bugeyes: I have to say, I'm genuinely impressed!!
Lloyd: Thanks. I thought I'd scared everybody off with these photos! This image was run though Nik Define 2.0 to reduce the noise. Just for comparison, I'll post the unprocessed original later tonight. ISO 25600 is probably "Circus Trick" photography. However, I do believe that IQ at 1600, 3200, and 6400 is a notch above the D3. Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Lloyd

Lloyd: Thanks. I thought I'd scared everybody off with these photos! This image was run though Nik Define 2.0 to reduce the noise. Just for comparison, I'll post the unprocessed original later tonight. ISO 25600 is probably "Circus Trick" photography. However, I do believe that IQ at 1600, 3200, and 6400 is a notch above the D3. Cheers, Matt
Thanks Matt. That will be interesting to see. I have to say, I've been very impressed with what I've seen out of the D3s. Just wish I could squeeze one out of the budget... I'm afraid that's going to have to wait a while, however.

m_driscoll

Lloyd: Here's the version before I did noise reduction etc. The NEF was imported into LR2 as a DNG (I always do that despite dire warnings; DNG is 1/2 size of NEF). LR2 applies std. settings and then I exported to this jpeg. Not a heck of a lot of difference. The "basic" file is pretty good! Cheers, Matt

shtarka1

Thanks Matt. The title "Frightening" is in direct reference to what was staring back at me in the mirror!:D

Lloyd

Thanks Matt. The title "Frightening" is in direct reference to what was staring back at me in the mirror!:D
What frightened me was that a first glance I thought you were wearing a Yankees hat!!! :eek::eek::eek: What a relief to find my glasses. :D

otumay

Pink tights and a tutu? This would mean trouble on the streets of İstanbul, man! Which team requires that from its supporters?

Lloyd

Pink tights and a tutu? This would mean trouble on the streets of İstanbul, man! Which team requires that from its supporters?
No team, Osman. I'm just saying that I'd rather do that than wear a Yankees cap. I'm a life-long Boston Red Sox fan.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Steve, another addition to your list of awesome series. The furniture place might be a special place, or not, but i see it as another proof that the story lies before all in the eyes of the photographer. From negative space to layered and ghostly reflections, here the mind of the beholder is invited for some Lacanian interpellation.
Way beyond, "despite" the last image, any mirror stage.

:lecture:

Did i mention i like the photos, too? :rolleyes: :toocool:

shtarka1

Steve, another addition to your list of awesome series. The furniture place might be a special place, or not, but i see it as another proof that the story lies before all in the eyes of the photographer. From negative space to layered and ghostly reflections, here the mind of the beholder is invited for some Lacanian interpellation.
Way beyond, "despite" the last image, any mirror stage.

:lecture:

Did i mention i like the photos, too? :rolleyes: :toocool:
Thanks Corlan...I just got Lambasted on another forum for this series having "No Purpose"!?:D

"Lacan, Jacques (1901–81), French psychoanalyst and writer. A notable poststructuralist, he reinterpreted Freudian psychoanalysis, esp. the theory of the unconscious, in the light of structural linguistics and anthropology."

Corlan....Can You Interpret This In Forrest Gump To Me!?;):D:ROTFL::bugeyes::lecture:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Thanks Corlan...I just got Lambasted on another forum for this series having "No Purpose"!?:D
That's why i stick to posting here.
Some might feel it's a move for easy praise, but sharing with a knoledgeable, smaller community of photographers without the underlying ego competition seen pretty much everywhere else does make sense, isn't it?
And you still get your share of constructive criticism, reading between the lines -or not. Who cares for rudeness or inflating selves? :rolleyes:

"Lacan, Jacques (1901–81), French psychoanalyst and writer. A notable poststructuralist, he reinterpreted Freudian psychoanalysis, esp. the theory of the unconscious, in the light of structural linguistics and anthropology."

Corlan....Can You Interpret This In Forrest Gump To Me!?
Not a great fan of the wikithang, but on, some topics they get it right... here's an abstract of what they say (related to the above comment):

"Interpellation is a concept used [...] to describe the process by which ideology addresses the (abstract) pre-ideological individual thus effectively producing him or her as subject proper. [...] against the classical definition of the subject as cause and substance: in other words, the situation always precedes the (individual or collective) subject [...] Althusser's argument here strongly draws from Jacques Lacan's concept of the Mirror stage. [...]Interpellation, Althusser's idea based on Lacan, specifically involves the moment and process of recognition of interaction with the ideology at hand. Foucault eschews the notion of ideology and his structuralist analytics are quite antithetical to Lacanian notions of Real, Symbolic, Imaginary."

And about Mirror image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_stage

In Forrest words?
Well, Lloyd cornered the idea perfectly above: go and take the same last photo wearing a pink tights & tutu.
Then not only you'll definitely step into Lacanian territory, but you'll probably altogether get a winner to get a flattering eulogy in the very same places where you got "lambasted" :rolleyes: :D

:deadhorse:

Seriously, i don't know about "purpose" (guess we could have a long discussion about the respective merits of "purpose" and "creative instinct" while communicating in visual form, well...), but the kinda undestated Lynchian touch in this series is more than enough to "interpellate" me -but not unlike Forrest (as you already know, my favourite movie character), i'm a simple guy. :)

"We was always taking long walks, and we was always looking for a guy named "Charlie".

shtarka1

That's why i stick to posting here.
Some might feel it's a move for easy praise, but sharing with a knoledgeable, smaller community of photographers without the underlying ego competition seen pretty much everywhere else does make sense, isn't it?
And you still get your share of constructive criticism, reading between the lines -or not. Who cares for rudeness or inflating selves? :rolleyes:

Not a great fan of the wikithang, but on, some topics they get it right... here's an abstract of what they say (related to the above comment):

"Interpellation is a concept used [...] to describe the process by which ideology addresses the (abstract) pre-ideological individual thus effectively producing him or her as subject proper. [...] against the classical definition of the subject as cause and substance: in other words, the situation always precedes the (individual or collective) subject [...] Althusser's argument here strongly draws from Jacques Lacan's concept of the Mirror stage. [...]Interpellation, Althusser's idea based on Lacan, specifically involves the moment and process of recognition of interaction with the ideology at hand. Foucault eschews the notion of ideology and his structuralist analytics are quite antithetical to Lacanian notions of Real, Symbolic, Imaginary."

And about Mirror image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_stage

In Forrest words?
Well, Lloyd cornered the idea perfectly above: go and take the same last photo wearing a pink tights & tutu.
Then not only you'll definitely step into Lacanian territory, but you'll probably altogether get a winner to get a flattering eulogy in the very same places where you got "lambasted" :rolleyes: :D

:deadhorse:

Seriously, i don't know about "purpose" (guess we could have a long discussion about the respective merits of "purpose" and "creative instinct" while communicating in visual form, well...), but the kinda undestated Lynchian touch in this series is more than enough to "interpellate" me -but not unlike Forrest (as you already know, my favourite movie character), i'm a simple guy. :)

"We was always taking long walks, and we was always looking for a guy named "Charlie".
Thanks Friend....:clap:

m_driscoll

Sort of a color or B&W thing. :thumbup::thumbdown: Thanks for looking. Now, I have to scroll up to my last post and carefully read the ones between this and that one. Cheers, Matt

1. D3s; 16-35 f/4 VR; 16mm; 1/1250 @ f/4; ISO 320

2. D3s; 16-35 f/4 VR; 35mm; 1/1250 @ f/4; ISO 320