The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

otumay

Thank you, Lloyd, Leif and Matt!
Matt, one of the girls came up to me and asked if I was a foreigner. I did not reply, but smiled. She kept asking and I kept shooting, all smiles. She suddenly lost her patience and shouted: "Are you British or Turkish? What the sh*t are you?". It was most difficult to suppress my laughter, but I managed somehow.
The trick I use to shoot kids is to let them look at the shot at the back-screen of the camera after they let me take the shot.
Best,
Osman
P.S.: Wonderful eagle btw, you always encourage me to use my 200-400.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thank you Lloyd and Matt for your kind remarks and your viewpoints on the 200-400. Food for thoughts.
And Matt, that eagle capture :eek:: +1 more Voff, as Leif has now taught us to put it :D

Leif, congratulations with your nearly new very old Nikon rig. Beautiful micro world capture, glad you're back on the board :)

m_driscoll

Hey!
You kept taking pictures while I was out; a no-nikon-man! Lovely stuff; Osman, your kids are great! Steen, the Danish spring has come further and is almost as full of beauty as ours.:D Beautiful double portrait, Lloyd.

So, now that I´m allowed in here again (picked up my D200 #5 (?) today. Oh what folly! :D ). It was cheap and well kept. More interesting (to me at least); it came with an equally well kept Micro-Nikkor 3,5/55 of the very first series (there was a 5,5 cm series before that). Serial # suggests 1964, maybe even 63. So; the dog and me took the kit out into some light rain and warm spring just now - thinking I´d find some ready-to-bloom lily-of-the valley on the favourite spot. We did, got down on our knees (well, he didn´t really bother) and opened the lens up. Focus is not 100% where I wanted it, but close. I might keep this old lens! :D

ISO 320, 1/45, 3,5 - minimal sharpening and increased contrast.

leif e
leif: Welcome (back?). Very nice first post. The color, framing, are great and the focus looks good to me. I'd keep that lens.

Thanks. I'd posted that eagle before. Quickest image of the 200-400/4 max'd out that i could find. Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Lloyd

A quick homage to my infinitely patient and tolerant "better 90%":

Last evening, just home from a long day at work, and rushing to get ready for a run, she patiently allowed me to use her as a model while I tested some off-camera flash.

D3, 28-70/2.8:

Then it was off to the local high school track, where, all alone, only herself for motivation, she hammered out some hard intervals:

D3, 70-300 VR:

Women years younger strolled and chatted, while she put the petal to the metal!

D3, 70-300 VR:

Later, as raw as it gets, no makeup, and having just finished 5+ hard miles, she indulged me for one more shot.

D3, 70-300 VR:

shtarka1

Steen: I know, the 400/2.8 is a beast. It weighs almost 3 lbs. more then the 200-400/4. I think the 200-400mm/f performs well at both ends of it's range. I've also used it with the TC-E14 successfully, IMHO. The attached photo was taken a few weeks after I got the camera and lens (just learning). And, it should work with the new 200-400/4.

The sweet spot for birds, seems to me, to be in the 400-500mm range, and you need a moderately fast lens/camera to shoot a 1000s +. I had a 500mm f/4 VR, but, it was too unwieldy, handheld (weighs 2 lbs. less then the 400/2.8, though). OK on a gimbal head tripod.

I've even tried a couple of the __-500mm Sigma's, but, always returned them because of unsatisfactory IQ. Nikon glass spoils you.

D3; 200-400mm f/4 w/TC-E14; 550mm; 1/1000a @ f/8; ISO 3200

Cheers, Matt

Awesome!

shtarka1

More Duck Dodge Race. NW corner of Lake Union. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

D3s; 200-400mm f/4; 200mm; 1/2000s @ f/4; ISO 320.

Fantastic Contrast & Composition Matt!
click for larger size (3.5 Mb)

Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 ZF • 1/800 sec. at f/8 ISO 400 • Capture NX
Great Color & Comp Steen!
Still sifting through my recent Pergamon shots. Kids this time. D700 and Nikkor 50/1.4 with some heavy pp.
Best,
Osman

Stunning & Heartfelt Set Osman!

Lloyd

Little More Color For Our Spirit's...

D700, R80 Summilux:)
Holy cats!! :bugeyes: That's a stunner, Steve. (You do know that I seriously lust after that lens, cuz!! And shots like this don't do anything to lessen it. :angry:)

shtarka1

Holy cats!! :bugeyes: That's a stunner, Steve. (You do know that I seriously lust after that lens, cuz!! And shots like this don't do anything to lessen it. :angry:)
Thanks! Next Time You Come Home...It's yours for your stay....:)

Lloyd

Lloyd: +1. Nice series. That last one's terrific! I bought the 70-300 VR the other day to get a little more "reach" in a smaller lens. I'll try it out tomorrow. Looks like it'll do what I wanted it for. Cheers, Matt.

Thanks Matt. I've been more than pleased. I had the earlier version, and this is a significant upgrade. Not the 70-200 for sure, but for the size, etc., it's pretty darn good. Famous NY photog Jay Maisel uses it almost exclusively on his D3.

m_driscoll

Thanks Matt. I've been more than pleased. I had the earlier version, and this is a significant upgrade. Not the 70-200 for sure, but for the size, etc., it's pretty darn good. Famous NY photog Jay Maisel uses it almost exclusively on his D3.
Lloyd: I'm looking forward to using it. I wasn't happy with the 80-400 that i had for a while. This is reputed to have better optics, and, of course, VR, less weight and cost. Cheers, Matt