The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

jbcrane

John: Truly a powerful image. Taken with sensitivity. Hallmark of a great
photographer. use of film lends more to the image imho.
Excellent sir.
Thanks very much. Coming from one who can make an image like the BW bearded gentleman above, I'll surely relish the compliment. Just love that BW treatment and what a face... one dreams of subjects like this. You certainly made the most of this opportunity. Well done indeed.

m_driscoll

Matt: This really warms my heart. genuine moment, a genuine smile. Wonderful.:thumbup:
Regards.
Somewhere along the Canadian-American border....
Could you slow down and keep left please, Ayesha; I said.
Why? she said. 'cause 5 mts to your right we are in the States!
Great, said Ayesha. Another country. Doesn't look different from here!
It will if that monstrous Coast Guard raft gets hold of us on the right, I said.
Whooppee..she said. Will we be in the news Rayyan?
I will kill you, if you don't get over to your left; we shall be in the news then for sure. Smile and wave to them....Have a nice day sir...
I am taking over, I said. But Rayyan, you are not a good swimmer!
rayyan: Thanks. Nice story! Good move, the Coast Guard doesn't have a sense of humor.

Nice detail in his beard & Excellent Grab Matt!
Steve: Thank you! :D

...Maybe both, or her, in focus... anyway, a real nice grab of a nice moment Matt. Lens IQ looks indeed pretty good.
Reminds me of one you previous shot with a youngster reading with cars passing by. It was excellent, too. Was it the same lens?...
Corlan: Thanks. I agree. Both should have been in focus, or her because of her position in the photo. But, she didn't have such nice hair and beard.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Another powerful portrait. A thousand stories etched on that face. I really like the high key, slightly low contrast, processing here. :salute:
rayyan: +1. Lloyd said it well!

This is a powerful image, John. Truly. Love the tonality of the b/w, but the message is what matters with this one. :salute:
John: Truly a powerful image. Taken with sensitivity. Hallmark of a great
photographer. use of film lends more to the image imho. Excellent sir.
John: +1, +1. Nice work! :salute:

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

It sure is.

(btw reading your quote, i see that i mistyped there... i meant gentlemen, of course :) )

Here's a recent portrait of our own companion. Nobody wanted him at the shelter where he had stayed the full two years allowed by law (after that...) simply because he had a couple of scars, and an unknown age and history. He has proved to be the kindest fellow to have around.

Corlan: :thumbs: :salute: Great color, DOF, and subject isolation.

Cheers, Matt

m_driscoll

I really can't keep up with you guys. Mostly work for me these days. Oh well, maybe, as a result, I'll be able to afford a new lens one of these days. Or an F6. John's excellent photos made that lust reappear.

Here are a couple from yesterday. It's the racetrack again. Seems to be the only place I'm getting outdoor nowadays. Got a sunburn too.

S5 with Tamron 17-50 @ 17mm and f/8

S5 with 300mm f/4 @ f/4

Jorgen: As usual, great color and composition. I just noticed that you seem to be shooting from a low angle in these. The juxtaposition of the tire arch and the Mutt and Jeff couple here are terrific. Cheers, Matt

rayyan

Ha! How on earth did I miss this!?! Too funny. Better work on that swimming, my friend. With her heart for adventure, you never know when a skill like that may come in handy!

Great story, and image. :thumbup:
Lloyd: Thanks Lloyd: I do swim...in the dead sea!:ROTFL:

rayyan: Here's a link. It's a pretty neat concept. I downloaded the software and I'm assembling a book of photos, just for the heck of it.

http://http://www.blurb.com/?ce=google_brand_blurb&gclid=CKOsyI-Q-aECFQ5biAodchMmGA
Matt: Much appreciated. Shall check it out for sure.

Thanks very much. Coming from one who can make an image like the BW bearded gentleman above, I'll surely relish the compliment. Just love that BW treatment and what a face... one dreams of subjects like this. You certainly made the most of this opportunity. Well done indeed.
John: Thank you kindly.

rayyan: Thanks. Nice story! Good move, the Coast Guard doesn't have a sense of humor.

Matt: I sure didin't wait to find out. No plans for an all expense paid Cuban vacation. ;)

Best regards.

rayyan

Here's a recent portrait of our own companion. Nobody wanted him at the shelter where he had stayed the full two years allowed by law (after that...) simply because he had a couple of scars, and an unknown age and history. He has proved to be the kindest fellow to have around.

Corian: You did a good thing there my friend. What a wonderful and gentle looking companion.

I really can't keep up with you guys. Mostly work for me these days. Oh well, maybe, as a result, I'll be able to afford a new lens one of these days. Or an F6. John's excellent photos made that lust reappear.

Here are a couple from yesterday. It's the racetrack again. Seems to be the only place I'm getting outdoor nowadays. Got a sunburn too.

S5 with Tamron 17-50 @ 17mm and f/8

S5 with 300mm f/4 @ f/4

Jorgen: Capturing the sights and sounds is what you brilliantly. You prove it once more.

Thank you Corlan. That means a lot to me. This particular subject matter is near and dear to my heart; I was on a team of 11 that headed down to PaP mid-March to work with just a few of the half-million orphans in Haiti resulting from the quake. I guess for some preserving memories and telling stories through images means one thing. For me, it means something more. There will be more trips, more kids and more photos, but I'll never forget that first experience. I've been selective as to who I open the images up to. I've grown so weary of the bickering and one-upmanship of other corners of the web and seeking a venue that openly sharing images we make is as natural as reading a poem or singing a song one's written to be heard. Glad I was fortunate enough to stumble across this group. You guys are talented and kind - not an easy combination to find.

Kind regards, John B. Crane
John: Glad to have you on board. Striking image.

Lake Union Duck Dodge. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. D3s; 200-400mm F/4; 1/1000s @ f/4.8; ISO 320

2. D3s; 200-400mm F/4; 200mm; 1/640s @ f/4; ISO 320

Matt: You make me want to go sailing! The first one is simple superb. The
light, the backdrop the foreground. Beautiful.:thumbup:

Regards.

jlancasterd

I'm totally ignorant in the matter, but was this kind of symetrical, two-way steam locomotive common at the time? Sure looks unusual to me.
Hi Corlan

No, they were never very common, but some railways (such as the FR) that needed powerful locomotives which would go round sharp curves bought them between the 1870s and early 1900s. Merddin Emrys in my earlier photo was built in 1879. The design was superceded by more modern articulated designs like the Mallet (popular in the USA) or the Garratt (used extensively in Africa and elsewhere). Only the FR has built Fairlies in modern times - the one below, David Lloyd George was built in the FR company's own works in 1992.

View attachment 31398

The FR also has some interesting non-steam machinery such as Moelwyn, built by Baldwin in Philadelphia to haul shells up to the front line artillery in WW1

View attachment 31399

Smaller locomotives include Britomart - a 'Quarry Hunslet' built in for shunting wagons around in the North Wales slate quarries - a sort of 19th century fork lift truck.

View attachment 31400

Really weird stuff(!) includes 'Spooners Boat' - an inspection trolley with a boat prow and sail - being used here to transport the Bishop of Bangor at the recent Quirks & Curiosities Gala.

View attachment 31402

A visitor at Quirks & Curiosities was this vertical boiler locomotive, constructed using a thimble boiler and cylinders, etc., from a steam piling engine...

View attachment 31401

Last edited:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Corlan: The muted browns and blues augmented by such fine detail in the cluster at frame left makes for a deep image - one you want to study repeatedly to find more. It's very nice. I love the soft whisp of blue at frame right, and that the whole compo leans down toward bottom rt of page... I'll bet it's absolutely spectacular huge. Well done!:thumbs:
John, thanks a lot for the kind and detailed thoughts. I'm honored.

Thank you Corlan. That means a lot to me. This particular subject matter is near and dear to my heart; I was on a team of 11 that headed down to PaP mid-March to work with just a few of the half-million orphans in Haiti resulting from the quake. I guess for some preserving memories and telling stories through images means one thing. For me, it means something more. There will be more trips, more kids and more photos, but I'll never forget that first experience. I've been selective as to who I open the images up to. I've grown so weary of the bickering and one-upmanship of other corners of the web and seeking a venue that openly sharing images we make is as natural as reading a poem or singing a song one's written to be heard. Glad I was fortunate enough to stumble across this group. You guys are talented and kind - not an easy combination to find.

Kind regards, John B. Crane
An obviously owerwhelming experience. Thnaks a lot for sharing.

The last portrait is fantastic. Focus plane, composition, expression, bokeh, colors... simply perfect. It's unique when the technical aspects deliver a palpable sense of humanity. Love it.

Corlan: Thanks. I agree. Both should have been in focus, or her because of her position in the photo. But, she didn't have such nice hair and beard.
I hear you Matt, and would probably have focused on the more "exotic" character all the same. Sometimes a conversational aspect in the shot turns out the better point of interest, after the fact :)

Corlan: :thumbs: :salute: Great color, DOF, and subject isolation.
Corian: You did a good thing there my friend. What a wonderful and gentle looking companion.
Thanks, my friends. It's like he's always been part of the family.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member

Jorgen: it's good to hear from you and very good news indeed to see that the hectic situation over there doesn't impact your activity too much.

The two photos are classic Jorgen, not just splendid but with the typical touch of humor. Much more fun than the barricades, i must admit.

Lake Union Duck Dodge. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt
Matt: with the sailing season in Seattle you're definitely sitting on a treasure for the long telephoto lens. These two are very nice, you can feel the "hour" in the first one. Did you consider cropping a 3by4 or even a 4by5 out of the second one, leaving the right hand part out? Just a thought -as usual. :)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Hi Corlan

No, they were never very common, but some railways (such as the FR) that needed powerful locomotives which would go round sharp curves bought them between the 1870s and early 1900s. Merddin Emrys in my earlier photo was built in 1879. The design was superceded by more modern articulated designs like the Mallet (popular in the USA) or the Garratt (used extensively in Africa and elsewhere). Only the FR has built Fairlies in modern times - the one below, David Lloyd George was built in the FR company's own works in 1992.
John, a lot of thanks for taking the time to enlighten us on the topic. Pretty cool illustrations. The "really weird" inspection trolley is incredible :toocool:. Terrific stuff!

Next time i cross the channel with the girls i might be tempted to pay the area a visit on our way to Scotland. :)

shtarka1

It sure is.

(btw reading your quote, i see that i mistyped there... i meant gentlemen, of course :) )

The Picture Is Razor Sharp & The Story Behind How You Got This Loving,Adorable Chap Is Heartwarming! Thanks For Sharing C!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
It's Mother's Day here... so, one from today:
(not many mothers around on this thread, but who knows ;))

D3X - ZF50/2M - ACR+PS4 - shot 4*5, then cropped to square

shtarka1

S5 with 300mm f/4 @ f/4

Fab Shot Jorgen!