The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen: interesting opportunity. Truck Track is perfect in every way, and on this one i'm impressed -again- with the level of IQ (soft reflections, color transitions, shadows details, controlled highlights...) that you squeeze out of this combo, in that environnement and described conditions. I still have a lot to learn. Always a stimulating thought. :)

Quite an unusual angle on the assembly shot. Don't know why, but i can't help smiling figuring you with the equipment being carried around the facility
by the conveyor belt, on your back, shooting. Modern Times revisited :angel: Humanity crusading in the pursuit of happiness, they said.
Fascinating thought, Corlan, but I have to disappoint you. It's an assembly plant and mostly manual.

As for the highlights in the other one; I wish I could say that I had control, but I don't. Fortunately, the D80 sensor seems to clip all colours at around the same level, avoiding colour casts in the border areas. It's a good low-ISO sensor. But I simply don't see a replacement for the Fuji cameras that is within my economical means. The difference when recovering highlights on a Fuji file and a Nikon file is so enormous you won't believe it unless you see it. I'm considering a D700, of course. Isn't it Christmas soon?

Another one:

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 24mm and f/3.5

Last edited:

rayyan

It's Mother's Day here... so, one from today:
(not many mothers around on this thread, but who knows ;))

D3X - ZF50/2M - ACR+PS4 - shot 4*5, then cropped to square
Corian: Elegant and masterful is what I can think of right now.

a sports photographers view of a day to remember some of those who count to us....Memorial Day 2010 from Golden Gate National Cemetery. I stopped by on the way to the game to visit my fathers grave and felt the urge to break out the 400.

Fultonpics: Poignant images; Honorable tribute to honorable peolple.

A few from today. Drove over to the waterfront at the Passenger ferry Terminal in West Seattle. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

4. D3s; 70-300mm VR; 300mm; 1/500s @ f/5.6; IS0 250

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
Matt: Making Seattle unresistable!!

Thank you for your kind words, all of you.

This morning, I was visiting a truck factory to take a couple of group portraits from the production. When I arrived, I was offered the grand tour and no limits. Two hours later, I came out, soaking wet from sweat, with a couple of hundred photos. Here are two, one production line-up, and one shot taken lying on the floor under a truck during assembly. Great fun!

Unfortunately, I only brought the D80 with Tamron 17-50 and no tripod. The Fuji would have loved that place, with all its weird lighting and tough contrasts.

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 50mm and f/4.5

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 50mm and f/2.8

Jorgen: Splendid. The framing, lighting and compositions are brilliant.

Regards.

rayyan

Chasing lenses or chasing a passion...

Rayyan, I am fed up with carrying lenses for you. Take something you only can
carry this trip, she said.

1 prime lens, 1 Nikon camera: 3 weeks scandinavia.....

Did I miss many? My glass is half full. What about yours.

rayyan

Chasing lenses or chasing a passion: Part 2

1 prime lens, 1 Nikon camera, scandinavia 3 weeks..

You must have missed a lot of shots? No, I got what I could shoot.

Lloyd

You must have missed a lot of shots? No, I got what I could shoot.
These are great shots, Rayyan! These two are my favorites, but you really have some art here! As are the first group. And I'd say you really lacked for nothing, lens-wise.

And you make a good point. One most of us, myself certainly, seem to forget. My father bought a Leica IIIc in Germany in 1946. It came with a Summitar 5cm f2. It was the only lens he ever owned. I'm in the process of going through some old slides my mother gave me, and I'm very much impressed with the range of photography they exhibit.

Lloyd

It's Mother's Day here... so, one from today:
(not many mothers around on this thread, but who knows ;))

D3X - ZF50/2M - ACR+PS4 - shot 4*5, then cropped to square
Pure beauty, Corlan

When E loved J ...

leif e
D200, 2,8/135mm AI Nikkor
Aw yes, Leif. I remember the days.

a sports photographers view of a day to remember some of those who count to us....Memorial Day 2010 from Golden Gate National Cemetery. I stopped by on the way to the game to visit my fathers grave and felt the urge to break out the 400.

A beautiful set, and a poignant reminder, Bob.

A few from today. Drove over to the waterfront at the Passenger ferry Terminal in West Seattle. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

4. D3s; 70-300mm VR; 300mm; 1/500s @ f/5.6; IS0 250

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
Nice stuff, Matt. Glad to see I'm not the only fan of that terrific little lens!

rayyan

Chasing lenses or chasing a passion: Part 3

1 prime lens, 1 Nikon camera, scandinavia 3 weeks:

Don't you wish you had the new 24/1.4? No, I wish I hadn't bid 4 hearts!

rayyan

Chasing lenses or chasing a passion...Part 4:

1 prime lens. 1 Nikon camera, scandinavia 3 weeks:

Don't you wish you had a flash? No. I need to pan and show motion blur.

Last edited:

shtarka1

You must have missed a lot of shots? No, I got what I could shoot.​

Chasing lenses or chasing a passion: Part 3

Don't you wish you had the new 24/1.4? No, I wish I hadn't bid 4 hearts!
Chasing lenses or chasing a passion...Part 4:

1 prime lens. 1 Nikon camera, scandinavia 3 weeks:

Don't you wish you had a flash? No. I need to pan and show motion blur.​

Jaw Dropping,Superb Work Rayyan!!!​

rayyan

Chasing lenses or chasing a passion: Part 500

Don't you...Listen Virgil, the only thing I wish for is to come back to this
beautiful place without you.

shtarka1

Fascinating thought, Corlan, but I have to disappoint you. It's an assembly plant and mostly manual.

As for the highlights in the other one; I wish I could say that I had control, but I don't. Fortunately, the D80 sensor seems to clip all colours at around the same level, avoiding colour casts in the border areas. It's a good low-ISO sensor. But I simply don't see a replacement for the Fuji cameras that is within my economical means. The difference when recovering highlights on a Fuji file and a Nikon file is so enormous you won't believe it unless you see it. I'm considering a D700, of course. Isn't it Christmas soon?

Another one:

Excellent Symmetry,Composition,Color & DOF Jorgen!

rayyan

These are great shots, Rayyan! These two are my favorites, but you really have some art here! As are the first group. And I'd say you really lacked for nothing, lens-wise.

And you make a good point. One most of us, myself certainly, seem to forget. My father bought a Leica IIIc in Germany in 1946. It came with a Summitar 5cm f2. It was the only lens he ever owned. I'm in the process of going through some old slides my mother gave me, and I'm very much impressed with the range of photography they exhibit.
Lloyd: Hear you my friend. I suffer from the same ailment. Appreciate your kind words.

Jaw Dropping,Superb Work Rayyan!!!
Beautiful!!!
Steve: Grateful to you sir.

As the say in Stockholm:

Regards.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Colors and Light, People and Places. Capturing the Essence.
Terrific work Rayyan.

Two remarks: you're among the very few people out there from whom the HDR style/look is not perceived as a gimmick but on the opposite as an asset to a style. Then, the limited number of lens is clearly not an issue when it comes to making good photographs (of course depending on a specific task or assignment, can't shoot a hummingbird with a 20mm on a FF body...), and in Lloyd's father example, HCB & al there are fantastic images from one-lens photographers. In time i even find that, esp with primes it helps one to become a more accomplished photographer. And yes, all the less to carry around for everyone :eek:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member

Another one:

You're way too modest.
Too bad for the conveyor (though i had noticed the "manual" rails), that was an fun thought. :eek:

Definitely can see it better from the Assembly Line shot, though. Impressive engine. Lots and subtle details there, too.

D700? They'll soon be available much less than they used to be. Will get one again then -i simply couldn't justify having both bodies considering the excellent resale value i got on the D700 when getting the D3X. I'm pretty sure you'd love it (especially with the last FW).

No news from a FF S7?? :(

Corian: Elegant and masterful is what I can think of right now.
Pure beauty, Corlan
Rayyan, Lloyd.. thanks friends.

Rayyan, about the Scandinavian series (had to leave when writing the previous post): my favorites are the same two as quoted by Lloyd above, to which i'll add the lock&dranpipe, the lamp posts (very "parisian"), and the oranje street, where the single character wearing a hat brings a nice touch. Same with the heartful cappucino. Well, all of them are real nice.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Chasing lenses or chasing a passion: Part 500

Don't you...Listen Virgil, the only thing I wish for is to come back to this
beautiful place without you.
Many good photos from Scandinavia, Ryyan. I particularly like these two. The first one looks like Karl-Johan in Oslo... or Stortingsgaten. At least the weather is typical Oslo, if my memory serves me right :D Must be late April or early May.

Love the portrait. Perfect framing, angle and light.