The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Corlan: It was my wife's birthday, but, we couldn't go to Paris for dinner (she couldn't get enough time off!).
Thanks for the comment. I wasn't sure about that one at first.
Nope, you got it right, but the assignment's changed!
Didn't sell anything. Just opened the drawer and rummaged around. No emptying a college fund, either. We paid for four years at Harvey Mudd College and now UM pays her to go to Graduate school.:thumbs::D

Rayyan: as both you and Corlan noted, the original Place Pigalle was "different". This restaurant wasn't always nice, either. It was a hole in the wall bar behind the Market (I've some photos of the exterior somewhere) in the early 70's when i discovered it. It's colorful history is right in line with it's namesake. See this: http://www.placepigalle-seattle.com/history.php

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
Thanks for the link. A different place, but historically not quite a different mood, or kind of people (not especially sailors, but looking for the same services). I've been living close to the original place for some years when i was younger. Many stories there too. Today, Seattle's version seems maybe a tad less exotic, but a more recommendable venue.

So, Anchorage is almost half way to Beijing and twice as far away as San Diego. Today's factoid. No quiz. Cheers, Matt.

D3s; 28mm f/1.4; 1/250s @ f/1.6; +2/3 EV; ISO 800

Love this version, Matt.
Incidentally it's not intuitive (at least for me) that Anchorage would be twice as far away as San Dego... neither that it's half way to Beijing. :bugeyes:

Should we surmise then that Seattle's weather is more San Diego like than Anchorage's? :rolleyes:

One could be forgiven to think that heir eyes were seeing different colors!! Ours were.
Wonderful, Rayyan.
If we didn't know it could as well be El Calafate, or even below, way way down south... or maybe the colour temperature tells the story.

rayyan

It is hot here this time of the year. I mean HOT!! and DRY!!

Hamza and Rayyan have gotten to eating dates. The date palm has a special
significance in my country.

The English word ' date' as used for the fruit is a generic term in Arabic. There
are innumerable varieties of dates. each with a different taste and from different regions of my country.

We all eat dates, on its own, with Arabic coffee, with Starbucks...you get the idea.

This morning I took a ladder, and took Hamza and Rayyan to my garden. Put
the ladder against one of our palm trees and snapped a few bunch of dates.

They have been eating it all day...from our garden...

We call this season the ripening of the dates. These are sweet...

rayyan

Back to our voyage...

They told us to go up and lie in the sun. Why? Because we want you to be healthy
and fit. Sick people don't fetch a good price!

We did not feel like going. Wear these clothes, they said. These shall help you brown out evenly..all over the body.

We don't need to get brown we said. It was obvious.

But nature in its wisdom seems to have denied reason and logic to those in power. So we went out to do what they said..' get tanned '.. They said we would look better ' roasted '.

A few of us died of cold. They threw them over board. Collateral damage they said.

J

JohnA_BatonRouge

I just wanted to keep my name in the hat so, for a change, I'll post a few images of some of the grandchildren - Erin (15), Brynne (12), and Lauren (11) taken recently with my D700 with 85mm f/1.4D (2nd and 3rd photos) and/135mm f/2.0DC (1st photo) lenses.
JohnA

Attachments

Last edited:

m_driscoll

...Matt: I too love Japanese gardens and the serenity they bring. Thank you
for your informative post.
Matt: Grateful for your kindness pal.:salute:
Matt: Love the factoids you share with us. Honestly brings a sparkle.:salute:
The 28/1.4 is in very very good hands Matt. That is a lovely doc. shot. Interesting for the amount of news on offer! and the beauty of the colors and framing.:thumbup:
The distances involved might not be a deterrent.
Rayyan: It was all business the few times i was in Japan. I didn't get to go everywhere, i would have wanted to. Many beautiful and interesting places unseen. Thanks for sharing your visit. :thumbup:
That's a very good news stand! They have all of those papers, and more, with many foreign language magazines (excuse me, non-english). There's probably only two others like it in town. Barnes and Noble and Borders have crushed them (to the detriment of the variety offered).
Thanks for your kind comments. It's a very nice lens.

Nice angle,color & image Matt!
Steve: Thank you! :D

Thanks Matt! Yes Continental Gator Sew Ups. Do You Ride?
Steve: I recognized the "handmade..." label. I've had some Continental Mountain King tires on my mountain bikes (Santa Cruz bikes with Schwalbe tires now). I don't "road" bike, although I am currently looking for a good urban commuter bike to ride to work. Maybe a ready made Gary Fisher Mendota ($) or building up a Gunnar Fastlane frame ($$$).

Cheers, Matt

http://mdrisdcoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Thanks for the link. A different place, but historically not quite a different mood, or kind of people (not especially sailors, but looking for the same services). I've been living close to the original place for some years when i was younger. Many stories there too. Today, Seattle's version seems maybe a tad less exotic, but a more recommendable venue.
Love this version, Matt.
Incidentally it's not intuitive (at least for me) that Anchorage would be twice as far away as San Dego... neither that it's half way to Beijing. :bugeyes:
Should we surmise then that Seattle's weather is more San Diego like than Anchorage's? :rolleyes:
Corlan: The history of the bar/restaurant was interesting, although as you point out, less exotic than the district in Paris. Thanks for your comment on the photo. :D The distances aren't intuitive. It's the same distance from Seattle to New York as it is from Seattle to Anchorage. Anchorage always has seemed closer because of it's ties to Seattle. Alaska Airlines is our biggest carrier. Weather: well, today at least, both Seattle and SanDiego were about 10 deg. below normal.

One could be forgiven to think that their eyes were seeing different colors!! Ours were.
Rayan: Beautiful, very cold-looking, photo! The colors make me shiver. :thumbup:

The English word ' date' as used for the fruit is a generic term in Arabic. There
are innumerable varieties of dates. each with a different taste and from different regions of my country.
We all eat dates, on its own, with Arabic coffee, with Starbucks...you get the idea.
Rayyan: Nice narrative and photo. I'll have to see if i can find some dates like that around here.

Back to our voyage...
They told us to go up and lie in the sun. Why? Because we want you to be healthy and fit. Sick people don't fetch a good price!
We did not feel like going. Wear these clothes, they said. These shall help you brown out evenly..all over the body.
But nature in its wisdom seems to have denied reason and logic to those in power. So we went out to do what they said..' get tanned '.. They said we would look better ' roasted '.
A few of us died of cold. They threw them over board. Collateral damage they said.
rayyan: At least you saved money on suntan lotion! In which month did you take this trip? :ROTFL:

I just wanted to keep my name in the hat so, for a change, I'll post a few images of some of the grandchildren - Erin (15), Brynne (12), and Lauren (11) taken recently with my D700 with 85mm f/1.4D (2nd and 3rd photos) and/135mm f/2.0DC (1st photo) lenses.
JohnA
JohnA: Beautiful portraits! Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

Lloyd

Very interesting info and image. I LOVE dates... had several just today. I wish we could grow them here...

Lloyd

Now that we are home, we can tell the tale. Memory is hazy. It could have been a slave ship. Felt like it.

Any food we got, we had to find it first. We ate strange animals...

In the evenings they forced us all into a room, lit some fires and made us eat
strange things. They wanted us to drink colored brew. We refused, they got angry and gave us a little water. People were afraid, they talked in whispers..

They would count us all to make sure none had escaped...

They kept us apart, so we couldn't get to know people. They put us far away in a corner, high up. Every so often they would come to check on us. Bring us food. They wanted to fatten us for sacrifice to their gods.

We were different, the gods would be pleased. We prayed for deliverance..

It's a good thing life in the desert has made you strong so you could with stand (indeed, live through) such horrible treatment! :D

leif e

Hello!
This message comes from Cádiz, allegedly the oldest city of Europe. A fantastic place; like walking in History, surrounded by the nicest people imaginable. I´m off to the beach, but two images before I go: Both withe the modified S5 Pro, one with the AIS 2,5/105 the other with the ancient 3,5/55 Micro-Nikkor.

Tomorrow we´re going home again. :mad: And then; the moountains!:D

leif e

shtarka1

Back to our voyage...

They told us to go up and lie in the sun. Why? Because we want you to be healthy
and fit. Sick people don't fetch a good price!

Sweet,Sad,Cool,Funny...Excellent Rayyan!

shtarka1

JohnA
Beautiful grand kids & shot well, John!

shtarka1

Hello!
This message comes from Cádiz, allegedly the oldest city of Europe. A fantastic place; like walking in History, surrounded by the nicest people imaginable. I´m off to the beach, but two images before I go: Both withe the modified S5 Pro, one with the AIS 2,5/105 the other with the ancient 3,5/55 Micro-Nikkor.

Tomorrow we´re going home again. :mad: And then; the moountains!:D

leif e
Very nice contrast & compositions Leif!