The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Hey everyone! Sorry I've been absent. Miss this place! Between consults, editing and shooting it was an 80 hour week last week. Didn't even turn the computer on yesterday. Needed to go off grid.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone's been up to.

In the mean time....

Lloyd

Hey everyone! Sorry I've been absent. Miss this place! Between consults, editing and shooting it was an 80 hour week last week. Didn't even turn the computer on yesterday. Needed to go off grid.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone's been up to.

In the mean time....
Welcome back. I know about weeks like that... time off grid is a good thing sometimes!

Nice shot. Very coy smile there. Very nice B&W.:thumbup:

m_driscoll

click for larger size if you have a larger screen

Nikon D300 • Nikkor AF-S 1.4/50mm G • 1/2000 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 200 • Capture NX
Steen: Nicely done! :thumbup: Great B & W and composition.

Gee, thanks Jorgen ... oh wait ... I bet that in a couple of minutes you'll say she is actually not for me but for Klaus, and that I'll have to do with the beast :cry:
Anyway, I love that Beauty & Beast shot, it's priceless :D
Jorgen: +1 for the "Beauty and the Beast". :thumbup:

Those are cool, Matt.
Yes, they really are. :thumbup:
Lovely B&W, Matt. Gasworks looks great this way!
Jorgen/Lloyd/Ashwin: Gentlemen, thank you. :D Tried different pp.

Welcome back. I know about weeks like that... time off grid is a good thing sometimes!
Nice shot. Very coy smile there. Very nice B&W.:thumbup:
Jason: +1! :thumbup: This must be the prime wedding time (assuming that's what you were doing?)

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Bride and bridesmaids at the Gasworks Park being photographed with the city and Lake Union in the background. They were grouped really tight. Looks like she was using a short telephoto. They lucked out with the weather. Today's a nice November day. All with D3s; 70-300mm VR. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

David K

Workshop Member
Been a while since I've contributed here...feeling like a slacker :) Did a night time shoot at the beach with beautiful Samantha. Two lights...one for the background and ring light for the key.

m_driscoll

Very good, Matt, particularly the first one :thumbs:
Jorgen: Thank you, sir. :thumbup:

Been a while since I've contributed here...feeling like a slacker :) Did a night time shoot at the beach with beautiful Samantha. Two lights...one for the background and ring light for the key.
David: Outrageously good! Beautiful Samantha, indeed. I can feel the sand. :thumbup:

Haunting images, Matt!
Osman: Thanks! :D I'm thinking that you're referring to the first set of the Gasworks photos. The bridal group was a little scary, but not "haunting". Although, it could be a witches coven?

Cheers, Matt

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Jason: Beautiful and very intense Black & White couple shot.
Matt: Wonderful B&W bride and bridesmaids shots, and I agree with Jorgen the first one is very special, it has such strong subject separation.
David: Nice that you are still shooting the D3 (I presume) along with your Medium Format rig :) really an excellent night time beach series, and excellent B&W conversion.

Jason, Matt and David: I'd be curious to know what software you use for your Black & White conversions ?
Personally I solely use Capture NX, but I admit that I could use a new NX version soon including NIK's best B&W conversion.
With NX being Nikons dedicated NEF converter I think that Nikon owe us a new version soon with more dedicated B&W features, right ?

Btw. Lloyd and Matt, thank you for your kind words.

David K

Workshop Member
Matt, thanks for the kind words.

Steen, I'm still happily shooting the D3 and think it's the best of my systems for this kind of work. My eyesight is not good enough for me to get consistently accurate and critical focus in low light situations, e.g. the beach at night, so the MF and M9 kits stay at home. As far as conversions go I use LR3 for the import, cataloging, WB and exposure but prefer CS5 for any further editing, e.g. skin healing/smoothing, brightening eyes, etc. For B&W conversion I use either Nik's Silver Efex Pro or Alien Skin's Exposure 3 plug-ins with the nod going to Nik. These particular B&W shots were converted with Exposure but only because my companion shooter doesn't have the Nik plug-in and we wanted to give the model a consistent look so he did the editing (he's better than me by a big margin). My experience with Capture NX is limited but I found that while it does a very good job it's simply too slow for my workflow. Hope that helps.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks a lot, David :thumbup:

Funny thing is that Silver Efex Pro isn't even a plugin for NX, despite both being made by NIK ... :rolleyes:
I think Silver Efex simply ought to be a built in feature in the next version of NX.
Wake up, Nikon, NX is supposed to be your dedicated software for your .NEF system files, right ... :confused:

Lloyd

David, I feel for you... you know, having to suffer through such sessions with such unpleasant subjects. :D

Really excellent work. :salute:

Lloyd

Bride and bridesmaids at the Gasworks Park being photographed with the city and Lake Union in the background. They were grouped really tight. Looks like she was using a short telephoto. They lucked out with the weather. Today's a nice November day. All with D3s; 70-300mm VR. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt.

mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Great catch Matt. These two especially. I love the separation that lens gives. Amazing for a "slow" lens, I think.

m_driscoll

No, I was referring to the bridal group shots, Matt:cool:
Your pp somehow gave the shots a slightly ominous air, which suited fine.
Osman: My daughter was married a year ago on the 6th. Maybe, i was projecting? Just kidding. Thanks. I've been consciously trying to push my B & W's darker (see W. Eugene Smith's 1958-59 Haiti Photos from the Pychchiatric Institute :cry: :shocked: :cool:). I probably sense Fall coming.

...Matt: Wonderful B&W bride and bridesmaids shots, and I agree with Jorgen the first one is very special, it has such strong subject separation....
Jason, Matt and David: I'd be curious to know what software you use for your Black & White conversions ?
Personally I solely use Capture NX, but I admit that I could use a new NX version soon including NIK's best B&W conversion.
With NX being Nikons dedicated NEF converter I think that Nikon owe us a new version soon with more dedicated B&W features, right ?
Btw. Lloyd and Matt, thank you for your kind words.

Steen: Thanks. :D I use LR3 and then Silver Effex Pro, occasionally the B&W conversion in Color Effex Pro, and some tweaking in CS5 and LightZone. I used NX initially, but found that LR was a great all-in-one product.

Great catch Matt. These two especially. I love the separation that lens gives. Amazing for a "slow" lens, I think.
Lloyd: Thank you! :D That lens is on my camera a lot because of it's versatility. I shoot it wide open and I'm rarely disappointed with it (maybe me, but not it).

Cheers, Matt