The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

shtarka1

Meet my friend, Karl Meltzer. Karl is one of the most accomplished Ultrarunners in the world. He has won nearly 30 100-mile races, winning 6 last year alone... the third time he's won 6 in one year... no one else has ever won more than 4 in one year! In 2008, he ran the length of the Appalachian Trail (more than 2000 miles), in 55 days!

Karl is currently running from Sacramento, California to St. Joseph, Missouri, following the route of the Pony Express (this year is the 150th Anniversary of the Pony Express). He's "The Human Express". He started on September 15th, and as of today has run nearly 800 miles across California, Nevada and Utah. (Averaging about 50 miles per day). I caught up with him this morning and took these. Karl will run to his home today (about a mile from mine), and then take a well-earned break tomorrow, resuming his run on Friday. Mimi and I will be running with him either Friday or Saturday.

You can follow Karl's progress online here: http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satellite/en_US/Article/Red-Bull-Human-Express-021242902803608

D3, 200-400/f4:

Talk about IronMan! This is one of the most Incredible feats of pushing ones body that i've ever heard off! Best of luck & health to him! Excellent grabs Lloyd!

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Lloyd, incredible guy, your great shots do him justice.
Composition is excellent in the second shot, i'm personally more drawn to the first one where you're brought closer to the essence of the effort.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
More splendid monochromes, Steve.
The portrait in situation is wonderful. not sure what's happening in the second shot, but clearly more disturbing. Which is not meant as a bad thing... but it is.

shtarka1

More splendid monochromes, Steve.
The portrait in situation is wonderful. not sure what's happening in the second shot, but clearly more disturbing. Which is not meant as a bad thing... but it is.
Thanks C! Understand what you mean about the 2nd shot, but it's a Harsh Reality. Always Appreciated.

Lloyd

Very good shots, Lloyd, especially the second one.
Talk about IronMan! This is one of the most Incredible feats of pushing ones body that i've ever heard off! Best of luck & health to him! Excellent grabs Lloyd!
Lloyd, incredible guy, your great shots do him justice.
Composition is excellent in the second shot, i'm personally more drawn to the first one where you're brought closer to the essence of the effort.
Thank you gentlemen. Karl is an incredible person, on many counts.

He just arrived at his home a little while ago. Today was a long, hard day... much more pavement today(he's been on a lot of trails and dirt roads the past 10 days, across Nevada and western Utah). Pretty hot today as well, which is especially tough in combination with the blacktop. Also, he ran about 3 or 4 hours longer than usual because he wanted to make it home today. Bottom line, he got it done, so he can shower and sleep in his own bed tonight!

m_driscoll

+1 but... as late as possible though!
Yup, beautiful Matt. Not easy to capture.
And, Seattle (or parts of) is definitely one of the cities where intricate wires are part of the scenery. Ironically, these old systems give an authentic feel to the scenery, somehow.
Corlan: Thanks. :D New construction usually "undergrounds" the utilities. My neighborhood is "old" -ca 1910.

An hour by the Cathedral Square (Portraits - Pt.2)
(a small digression)
Didn't mention that in the previous post, but these guys -more especially the two with the dogs- are "homeless". Well, maybe not to the full extent of what the word can cover (they don't sleep under cardboard sheets for one thing, and have access to Public Health services), but they live mostly on welfare and spend nights either in youth hostels when permitted, or state endowed shelters. And when they can't provide food to their dogs, they go to either the police station or animal shelters to get some free bags.

Like so many others, they're on public housing's waiting lists... Distant or broken families, finding a job seems like an impossible mission to them (recent economic state of affairs surely doesn't help). There's a whole generation of people in the same predicament, all over Europe. Sad.

Anyway, they're enjoyable company, and seemed to appreciate some interest other than the occasionnal charity coin. Photography can establish a different relationship between strangers, and create a form of respect, too.
Here's the group shot, first photo after being "made":

On technicalities, beside the fact that i suck at group shots, since i was there on a relaxing basis i had decided earlier to use the kit as a P&S: fixed ISO (100), single AF, A mode, one aperture (f2.8 inside, f4 outside to account for the fast changing weather, and light due to bands of thick clouds, a bit of wind). For some shots a slower aperture would've probably helped, but hey
A bit better when getting closer, i guess:
yes, they kinda pose, at first...
A lil' Rayan routine was needed to get this one:
(correction: a fair deal of the Rayyan sweettalk was required ) :D
Apparently some portraits look a bit desaturated after posting, depending on browsers. it's true that the printer service i use for that kind of quick stuff has a tendency to slightly oversaturate skin tones. Prints look good... and after all it the primary intent when processing the files. Here's a couple of bw versions to get rid of any brower discrepancy.

Btw, sorry to hijack the thread... i've hesitated to create a separate one... well, feel free to tell me. There's more to come :deadhorse: :)
Thanks Osman, and thanks, Lloyd for your kind words.
As mentioned above i find close up portraits with critical skin tones harder to share with consistency over the internet (forum & browsers file handling, monitors, settings...) than with files viewed in PS or prints. Well, it's still a nice tool :)
Corlan: Well done! I like the group shot and didn't see any problems with the color. The narrative really adds to the photos. Thanks for that. Don't look quite as "rasty" as some of the homeless around here, but it still's sad that it exists in the wealthiest societies on the planet. I think the social support in Europe for some (ignore the romany for the time being) is better then here.

Your interaction with them was great. Your photos are great. I like this last guy's style as brought out in your captures. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Matt and Corlan, my hat off for your mastery, gentlemen!
Really great images Matt. That last one has a very painterly quality to it.
Osman/Lloyd: Thank you, gentlemen! :D

m_driscoll

Fantastic stuff!
Wedding season is cooling down, so I'll be able to play more ;-)
Like this morning
Jason: Beautiful, dynamic, colorful, photo. Well captured. :thumbup:

Meet my friend, Karl Meltzer. Karl is one of the most accomplished Ultrarunners in the world. He has won nearly thirty (yes, 30) 100-mile races, winning 6 last year alone... the third time he's won 6 in one year... no one else has ever won more than 4 in one year! In 2008, he ran the length of the Appalachian Trail (more than 2000 miles), in 55 days!

Karl is currently running from Sacramento, California to St. Joseph, Missouri, following the route of the Pony Express (this year is the 150th Anniversary of the Pony Express). He's "The Human Express". He started on September 15th, and as of today has run nearly 800 miles across California, Nevada and Utah. (Averaging about 50 miles per day). I caught up with him this morning and took these. Karl will run to his home today (about a mile from mine), and then take a well-earned break tomorrow, resuming his run on Friday. Mimi and I will be running with him either Friday or Saturday.

You can follow Karl's progress online here: http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satellite/en_US/Article/Red-Bull-Human-Express-021242902803608
D3, 200-400/f4:

Another shot from today; different processing.

D3, 200-400/f4:
Lloyd: Like Corlan's, this is a great story with great photos! I like the warmth of the first two, but, the third "colder" one works for me too. The greater distance and context of the third is appealing when you look at all three as a set. Gives you an idea of the enormity of his effort. Have fun running with him. You can turn around at Denver. :salute:

Samuel Clemens?

D700 85G:)

D700, 85G
Steve: I think he's dead? If he was around today, he probably look like this guy with the carry-on. Nice detail and contrast. I like the second photo with the bare feet, shoes, and black dress. I'm missing something and didn't interpret it the way Corlan did? Nice photo, though. Cheers, Matt.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Another shot from today; different processing.

D3, 200-400/f4:
Love the cooler treatment and composition on this one. A complementary perspective, with the dynamics of the curve and where the subject is more overwhelmed by the surroundings -which fits the theme nicely. IMHO a slightly more effective presentation than the previous wide shot (despite the cars). But that's just me :)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Corlan: Thanks. :D New construction usually "undergrounds" the utilities. My neighborhood is "old" -ca 1910.
Yup they're usually a visual annoyance, i guess here though they're old enough to bring some time contrast and historical substance to the specific scenery. Well, i don't know why i said that: i hate wires :D

Corlan: Well done! I like the group shot and didn't see any problems with the color. The narrative really adds to the photos. Thanks for that. Don't look quite as "rasty" as some of the homeless around here, but it still's sad that it exists in the wealthiest societies on the planet. I think the social support in Europe for some (ignore the romany for the time being) is better then here.

Your interaction with them was great. Your photos are great. I like this last guy's style as brought out in your captures. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

Thanks Matt. You're right, some are much worse off. OTOH, small town in the country, summertime... things are unfortunately much uglier in larger cities.

(as for the romany thing, let's say that media turmoil and political rivalries made it a larger and somehow biased story than it is. There's a number of associated issues, but it's surely not the place to elaborate. It's a long term, complex situation with no easy way around (and i mean even for many of these people's own good)). Harsh times, definitely.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
An hour by the Cathedral Square (Inside the Cathedral 1/1)

Saving the last couple of portraits for later, let's rewind a bit and see what's inside.

As said earlier, i had decided to use the kit casually as a P&S: 105mm // ISO100 (yeah, i know :eek:... forgot to change the fixed setting except for two of them, noted below) // f2.8. I sincerely did not expect to get anything, but the first shot looked relatively ok on the LCD so i kept shooting a few. Here they are:

Considering:

Choir:

"Vierge et l'Enfant"

second one iso 400

Choir Grille:

Candle:

Icon, early XIIIth c.
iso 400

Last edited:

shtarka1

An hour by the Cathedral Square (Inside the Cathedral 1/1)

Saving the last couple of portraits for later, let's rewind a bit and see what's inside.

As said earlier, i had decided to use the kit casually as a P&S: 105mm // ISO100 (yeah, i know :eek:... forgot to change the fixed setting except for two of them, noted below) // A mode // f2.8. I sincerely did not expect to get anything, but the first shot looked relatively ok on the LCD so i kept shooting a few. Here they are:

Considering:

Choir:

second one iso 400

Choir Grille:

Candle:

Icon, early XIIIth c.
iso 400

Outstanding Light,Detail, IQ, Spirit & Set Corlan! The Last Shot Is So Powerful!