The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

aboudd

Escaped the cold in DC and headed to Miami. A great spot for lunch is in Coconut Grove called Jaguar. They are known for ceviche. This is the shrimp nuevo. D3x with 105 VR.

Last edited:

m3photo

Re: Old Glass

I'm curious if anyone here uses "old" Nikon glass, and if they do, have you ever compared it with the new lenses? My curiosity is if the new lenses are sharper? I'm not unhappy with what I have but I have nothing to compare them with either. Just wondering if I am getting everything the camera has to offer in sharpness by using these old lenses. The lenses are all about 35 years old, manual focus, primes. Joe
Good question.
I do, on a D700. I'm in the same boat as you - waiting to see comparisons ...

aboudd

I just picked up this lens, a Nikkor 25-50 F4, it is at least 30 years old. Perspective corrected in CS5, this was shot at the 25MM setting. No post-processing other than the PC was done. I think it holds its own against the newer lenses. I also have a 1980s 35MM 2.8 PC that I use in my work, it too has great rendering. I am on the prowl for a 20MM 2.8 AIS manual focus lens.
The only disadvantage I see using older lenses with DSLR is that the metadata can only be fed to the camera if you use the non-CPU function - which is a pain in the ***, especially if you have several old lenses. I admit that I am a dinosaur and like old lenses with aperture rings and the uber-build quality.

Last edited:

D&A

Escaped the cold in DC and headed to Miami. A great spot for lunch is in Coconut Grove called Jaguar. They are known for ceviche. This is the shrimp nuevo. D3x with 105 VR.
Nice shots Aboud....love the ceviche (yum). I used to have friends who lived near Coconut Grove and towards the end of Feb each year there is a fabulous well known "street" art festival.

As for old lenses, optically its sort of like Leica's old lenses in that each has to be tried out and judged on their own merits, some having both strengths (and a look) and other times weaknesses exposed by using them on a sensor based camera. The entire building shot (could the building be considered art deco?) has a fabuolus look to it that if it wasn't for the cars, I might have thought you scanned an old slide from decades past.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Lloyd

I'm curious if anyone here uses "old" Nikon glass, and if they do, have you ever compared it with the new lenses? My curiosity is if the new lenses are sharper? I'm not unhappy with what I have but I have nothing to compare them with either. Just wondering if I am getting everything the camera has to offer in sharpness by using these old lenses. The lenses are all about 35 years old, manual focus, primes. Joe
I have a number of lenses of about that same vintage, and a couple even older. I do enjoy shooting them, and in most cases find I'm pretty happy with the results. I particularly love my 25-50 Aboudd mentioned. Wonderful lens... not a sharp as the more modern lenses, but I love the way it draws, especially for landscapes.

In general, I find that the modern lenses seem a bit sharper, with a couple of exceptions. my 105/2,5 AIS is about a sharp as anything I've every shot. And I have a 24/2,8 which is tack sharp as well. But overall, I think my newer lenses are sharper. I haven't tried to do the micro focus adjustments you can do with the D3 and other newer Nikons, that my have an impact.

jsf

It is my impression that my Micro-Nikkor 55 mm, 105mm, 200mm and 300mm are as sharp as the camera is going to give me, my 28mm, I am not so sure of, it is the f/3.5 and though sharp not like the other lenses. But then I don't know. I don't know what to expect from the camera. I am so used to shooting MF or LF that I have not yet adjusted to the look of the digital. I haven't found adjusting in menu to non-cpu lenses to be any more time consuming then switching the lens in the first place. But I tend to shoot slow so I probably wouldn't notice the extra step. I am still dithering over a new tripod. I tried a carbon fiber Gitzo this last week, it weighed 4lbs. w/o the head, the head was another
2 lbs. and it was a bit much, even though the tripod itself was very nice. I think I want to be able to come in right around 4 lbs. for everything. So back to pouring over the myriad of choices. Thanks for the feedback. Joe

Lloyd

It is my impression that my Micro-Nikkor 55 mm, 105mm, 200mm and 300mm are as sharp as the camera is going to give me, my 28mm, I am not so sure of, it is the f/3.5 and though sharp not like the other lenses. But then I don't know. I don't know what to expect from the camera. I am so used to shooting MF or LF that I have not yet adjusted to the look of the digital. I haven't found adjusting in menu to non-cpu lenses to be any more time consuming then switching the lens in the first place. But I tend to shoot slow so I probably wouldn't notice the extra step. I am still dithering over a new tripod. I tried a carbon fiber Gitzo this last week, it weighed 4lbs. w/o the head, the head was another
2 lbs. and it was a bit much, even though the tripod itself was very nice. I think I want to be able to come in right around 4 lbs. for everything. So back to pouring over the myriad of choices. Thanks for the feedback. Joe
Oh yes, I agree about the 55 micro-nikkor, razor sharp. I also don't mind setting up the camera for the older lenses, nor do I mind manual focus. I'm a Leica shooter from way back, so I actually tend to prefer that style of shooting.

As for tripod/ballhead combinations, I have a couple of Gitzo carbon fiber tripods I really like, but they are a little pricey. Also, as for ballheads, unless you're really planning to load it up, you might look at the Really Right Stuff BH-40 model. It's rate up to 18 lbs, and only weighs 16.9 ounces. I've never used one myself, but I have it's big brother, the BH-55. It's rated to 50lbs, and still only weighs 1.9 pounds. And while I'm at Really Right Stuff, I've never used them, or even seen them in person, but I hear good things about their Versa carbon fiber tripods. The TVC-24, has four section legs, is rated to 40 pounds, and only weighs 3.2 pounds. That, with one of their ballheads might fit your weight perimeters. Good luck.

Last edited:

D&A

I cannot speak for all of them, but the 55 Micro Nikkor and the 105 Ais are incredable performers and often overlooked by those that must have the latest and greatest. There are others too! Aboud and others here are right, so many nice older lenses that have excellent images characteristics just waiting to be discovered.

Dave (D&A)

Leigh

I cannot speak for all of them, but the 55 Micro Nikkor and the 105 Ais are incredable performers...
I certainly agree.

I rely on my 105mm micro for all of my 35mm closeup work. Excellent performer.

The 55mm micro is equally good; I just prefer the greater working distance of the 105mm.

- Leigh

m_driscoll

Joe: Thanks for the explanation. This second photo's also very good. :thumbup:
Rayyan: Thank you, sir. :thumbup: I like the D7000. It won't replace the full frame Nikons; but, it's an excellent camera.
Steve: Thanks! :D I hear you! You're getting an unusual amount of the white stuff.
Jorgen: Thank you! :D
Arne: Thanks! :D Of course, portability and backup would be it's only advantages over the D3x. I occasionally insert some in this gallery: http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com/p1057030329
Your last post: Very textural composition. The lightness and detail of the tree trunks balance well with the snowy mountains. :thumbup:
Rayyan: Exactly as you said! :thumbup:
Aboudd: Right off the pages of 'Gourmet'. Beautiful. :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

rayyan

I shacked up in a simple ' hotel ' for a couple of days. There was no room service. As a matter of fact we had to service the rooms!

After the morning drill, the mental exercises started.

How are you finding your stay with us, asked the host.

Hard floor, no hot water, early wake up calls, I said..

Grasshopper, said my host, it's all in the mind..

Me, ' grasshopper ' ?

He looked at me and started laughing. I laughed and clicked.

Lloyd

I shacked up in a simple ' hotel ' for a couple of days. There was no room service. As a matter of fact we had to service the rooms!

Me, ' grasshopper ' ?

What a great shot (and great smile)! :salute:

m_driscoll

Me, ' grasshopper ' ?

Rayyan: Great photo! You have the coolest experiences! :thumbup:

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com