Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 106 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Thought I'd start this out with some more shots of my niece from our Senior Portrait shoot last Friday. BTW, she's the youngest of my brother's four daughters. Every one of them is a beauty!

All with the D3, 70-200 VRII combo:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The New and Improved Fun with Nikon Images!

Gorgeous In Every Way Uncle!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Osman.....These Are So Rich In Color & IQ!

[/QUOTE]
    (Transferred These Over From Other Nikon Post Thats Filled To The Rim!)
    Didn't Want These Wonderfull Images From Osman To Get Lost!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post
    Didn't Want These Wonderfull Images From Osman To Get Lost!
    Appropriately so. Thanks Steve (and for your comment above!)

Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd, your niece is beautiful, and you did a fantastic job with creating these portraits for her!

Do you happen to have any personal experience with the 200 f/2 VR? I'm considering selling the 200 f/2 VR and replace it with the 70-200VR2 so I can free up some money. I've read a lot about the 70-200VR2 performance, but the one detail I'm interested in is how the bokeh compares between the two lenses. The 200 f/2 VR bokeh is almost a modern legend, but I'm not sure how the 70-200VR2 is in comparison? I really like the bokeh in the shots you showed above though!

Post Thanks / Like

My Nephews High School BB Game..
    WOW! you've made a "normal" high school baseball game appear like a momentous game in history!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by panda81 View Post
    Lloyd, your niece is beautiful, and you did a fantastic job with creating these portraits for her!

Do you happen to have any personal experience with the 200 f/2 VR? I'm considering selling the 200 f/2 VR and replace it with the 70-200VR2 so I can free up some money. I've read a lot about the 70-200VR2 performance, but the one detail I'm interested in is how the bokeh compares between the two lenses. The 200 f/2 VR bokeh is almost a modern legend, but I'm not sure how the 70-200VR2 is in comparison? I really like the bokeh in the shots you showed above though!
    Yes, I owned one of the first copies of the 200/2 to come out, and frankly, I loved it. But... I found that I simply didn't use it as much as the 70-200 (that was the original version), and I needed some $$ for something else. Now, with the new 70-200 VRII, well, I just don't think I'd get another 200/2, as the differences, while they exist, are even smaller. I worked with a friend shooting the Boston Marathon, and he had his 200/2 with him, but it came out of the bag exactly once the entire week. He's one of the top event shooters in the world, and told me that with the new 70-200 VRII, he thinks for him, the 200/2 is essentially a duplication, with less utility.

That said, if you've seen, for example some of Steve's or Osman's images here, and since you own one, you know that the bokeh with that lens is something special. As for the bokeh in my shots, that's just what the lens gave me, and I'm very happy with it. Don't know if that helps, but there you go.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Gorgeous In Every Way Uncle!!!
    Lloyd: +1. The master of portraiture strikes again. Color, composition, poses, all beautiful. I guess they don't use those little booths anymore? Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    Lloyd: +1. The master of portraiture strikes again. Color, composition, poses, all beautiful. I guess they don't use those little booths anymore? Cheers, Matt.

Thanks Matt. Yeah, they still take those cattle call shots at the schools, but the kids don't want those. She had me take these to send out with her graduation announcements... and for her Facebook.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't Want These Wonderfull Images From Osman To Get Lost![/QUOTE]
    Osman: You're too modest. Your photos are among the best here and alway a treat to see. These are really striking. I don't think, I've seen this many red poppies before. Certainly not around here. When can you harvest them?

Cheers, Matt

http://[email protected]

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Yes, I owned one of the first copies of the 200/2 to come out, and frankly, I loved it. But... I found that I simply didn't use it as much as the 70-200 (that was the original version), and I needed some $$ for something else. Now, with the new 70-200 VRII, well, I just don't think I'd get another 200/2, as the differences, while they exist, are even smaller. I worked with a friend shooting the Boston Marathon, and he had his 200/2 with him, but it came out of the bag exactly once the entire week. He's one of the top event shooters in the world, and told me that with the new 70-200 VRII, he thinks for him, the 200/2 is essentially a duplication, with less utility.

That said, if you've seen, for example some of Steve's or Osman's images here, and since you own one, you know that the bokeh with that lens is something special. As for the bokeh in my shots, that's just what the lens gave me, and I'm very happy with it. Don't know if that helps, but there you go.
    Panda81: I'd second what Lloyd said. I had a 200 f/2 and also sold it. I miss it, occasionally; but, I wasn't using it as much as the 70-200mm VRI. The new 70-200 VRII is almost the 200 F/2's equal and is lighter , less expensive, and more versatile.

Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt. Yeah, they still take those cattle call shots at the schools, but the kids don't want those. She had me take these to send out with her graduation announcements... and for her Facebook.
    Cool!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple from last night (same two posted earlier except in B&W or color). That hot spot in the lighting was killing me (squinting woman on left). I just checked and I didn't have Active-D Lighting on at all. That probably would have helped? Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. D3s; 24-70mm f/2.8; 38mm; 1/50s @ f/3.5; ISO 9000

2. D3s; 24-70mm f/2.8; 70mm; 1/50s @ f/3.5; ISO 5000

PS: Just read a little more. ADL appears to be moot because I shoot raw and import through Lightroom 2 and not Capture NX2.
    Last edited by m_driscoll; 13th May 2010 at 09:33.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by panda81 View Post
    WOW! you've made a "normal" high school baseball game appear like a momentous game in history!!
    Greatly Appreciated Jerry!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple from last night (same two posted earlier except in B&W or color). That hot spot in the lighting was killing me (squinting woman on left). I just checked and I didn't have Active-D Lighting on at all. That probably would have helped? Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. D3s; 24-70mm f/2.8; 38mm; 1/50s @ f/3.5; ISO 9000

2. D3s; 24-70mm f/2.8; 70mm; 1/50s @ f/3.5; ISO 5000

[/I]
    There's something about that Red Dress Matt...!
    Nice Pair!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

PS: Just read a little more. ADL appears to be moot because I shoot raw and import through Lightroom 2 and not Capture NX2.
    Not so ADL as probably using center-weighted metering. Matrix metering gets a little out of whack onstage due to the tremendous uneveness of the lighting (unless the lighting director is very, very good).

I usually spot meter with the camera on manual and let the auto-ISO range up and down.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

There's something about that Red Dress Matt...!
    Nice Pair!
    You're cracking me up here Steve! Yes, Matt, those are a nice pair!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

You're cracking me up here Steve! Yes, Matt, those are a nice pair!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, there's a lot to catch up with after being away for a week or so... even our good ol' thread is gone.

Long live the new one!

Incredible talent as usual, too many great photos and inspiration to comment, between Lloyd's splendid portraiture, Matt's wanderings (and interesting dress, indeed! ), great stuff from Tim, Steen, Jorgen, Osman, Alex... well all of you guys.

I plan to resume a regular activity here soon, allowing more specific comments.

One thing though: Steve, after seeing your timeless baseball action art... now i want a 300 2.8, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This part (and Matt's a couple of posts below) is a little bit of a surprise for me. As good as some results from the 70-200 VRII are, from what i can see here and there along with the few RAW files i could handle myself, in my eyes the 200/2 has still an edge AFA pure IQ is concerned. Of course for action (race shots you've mentionned) use it clearly doesn't have the same versatility and it's understable that it'd stay in the bag.

I'll have to study this more before taking a final decision. Guess i'm partial though, not using zooms since a long time and developping a calmer shooting practice, no sports, no fps sweat (usually shooting a single shot, up to 3 max except products in studio but no reactivity nor weight issues involved there)... and being quite sensitive to the bokeh magic of the 200.
    Hmm. On the fence, once more

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    This part (and Matt's a couple of posts below) is a little bit of a surprise for me. As good as some results from the 70-200 VRII are, from what i can see here and there along with the few RAW files i could handle myself, in my eyes the 200/2 has still an edge AFA pure IQ is concerned. Of course for action (race shots you've mentionned) use it clearly doesn't have the same versatility and it's understable that it'd stay in the bag.

I'll have to study this more before taking a final decision. Guess i'm partial though, not using zooms since a long time and developping a calmer shooting practice, no sports, no fps sweat (usually shooting a single shot, up to 3 max except products in studio)... and quite sensitive to the bokeh magic of the 200. Hmm. On the fence, once more
    Just to clarify, Corlan. While in Boston we did shoot the race (and primarily used the 400/2.8, 300/2.8 and 70-200 VRIIs on race day, as well as some smaller lenses, e.g. the 14-24), we also shot nearly two weeks of activities leading up to the race. This was done on behalf of the principal sponsor of the race. By far, the majority of our shooting was on days other than race day. Most of this was at dinners, programs, clinics, news conferences, and other events where primes could (and often were, the 85/1.4, 50/ 1.4 and the Zeiss 100 Makro, for example) easily used. It was simply a choice of utility. No doubt, in terms of absolute IQ, and particularly where bokeh is concerned, the 200/2 had/has the edge. But my experience, over the three plus years I owned one, was simply that I didn't use it enough to justify the expense, particularly when the zoom was so close in terms of quality. The new 70-200 VRII closed the gap even more, in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Less sun, more tulips.
    And a touch of red.

(before sunrise)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And a brick wall, two minutes later when the first sunrays hit the wall.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing though: Steve, after seeing your timeless baseball action art... now i want a 300 2.8, too.
    Thanks Stranger! We've Missed You C!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Less sun, more tulips.
    And a touch of red.

(before sunrise)

And a brick wall, two minutes later when the first sunrays hit the wall.

Masterful Shooting & Gorgeous IQ & Bokeh!!!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Not so ADL as probably using center-weighted metering. Matrix metering gets a little out of whack onstage due to the tremendous uneveness of the lighting (unless the lighting director is very, very good).

I usually spot meter with the camera on manual and let the auto-ISO range up and down.
    Carlos: I was wonder about that. Thanks for the tip. Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Steve/Lloyd:

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Corlan: Great work! Both are simple and elegant.

To clarify, as Lloyd said, i think the bokeh with the 200mm f/2 is incredible (maybe the best of all of the Nikons). The 70-200 is getting close in IQ, and is more versatile (I believe that, and others have said that, and besides it makes me feel better, having sold the lens). Cheers, Matt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

These are from today with the new 16-35mm F/4 VRII lens and the D3s. Second image is a crop of the same photo. Imported to LR2 as NEF, auto white balance set, and exported as 4-5mb jpeg. Cheers, Matt

1. D3s; 16-35mm f/4; 16mm; 1/80s @ f/4; ISO 320

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple more from today. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. D3s; 16-35mm f/4 VRII; 35mm; 1/400s @ f/4; ISO 320

2. D3s; 16-35mm f/4 VRII; 35mm; 1/2000s @ f/4; ISO 320

3. D3s; 16-35mm f/4 VRII; 35mm; 1/30s @ f/4; ISO 1100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Steve, Lloyd, Matt and Corlan. Corlan, those tulips are stunning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Steve, Matt, Osman

Hey Matt, in haste you posted the second series (b&w) above in the wrong forum. Good thing though, a question before you move them to the analog section: HP5 or Neopan? Acros maybe?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

+1 for sure.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple more from today. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far from this new lens of yours Matt. Looking forward to more. In the first color shot above, at 16mm do I detect a little bit of field curvature or is that just the way the market is arranged?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve, Matt, Osman

Hey Matt, in haste you posted the second series (b&w) above in the wrong forum. Good thing though, a question before you move them to the analog section: HP5 or Neopan? Acros maybe?
    Corlan: Nope. Right section. Cheers, Matt ?

Last edited by m_driscoll; 14th May 2010 at 07:29.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far from this new lens of yours Matt. Looking forward to more. In the first color shot above, at 16mm do I detect a little bit of field curvature or is that just the way the market is arranged?
    Lloyd: Yeah there is a bit. The verticals in the first B&W were corrected in CS4. That's a criticism KR had of this lens at 16mm. 14-24mm was better. Cheers, Matt.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt,Congrats on The New Zoom! That Combo Is Kickin!!! Color & B&W's Are Stunning! Have Fun With It!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not posting the really raunchy, strange photos. Don't want to offend anybody (including myself). A few more from the other night's Burlesque. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

1. D3s; 24-70mm f/2.8mm; 70mm; 1/50s @ f/3.5; ISO 4000

2. D3s; 24-70mm f/2.8mm; 70mm; 1/50s @ f/3.5; ISO 8000

3. D3s; 24-70mm f/2.8mm; 70mm; 1/15s @ f/3.5; ISO 25600

4. D3s; 24-70mm f/2.8mm; 24mm; 1/60s @ f/2.8; ISO 12800

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did you get to try my technique Matt? I am looking to upgrade to a D3s soon too.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Did you get to try my technique Matt? I am looking to upgrade to a D3s soon too.
    Carlos: No, these are from the same night. I'd like to try again and change the metering; but, one night's enough! In the first two image, the women were out of the light's hot spot. The third image barely had any light and i probably lightened it too much. Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not posting the really raunchy, strange photos. Don't want to offend anybody (including myself). A few more from the other night's Burlesque. Thanks for looking. Cheers, Matt

3. D3s; 24-70mm f/2.8mm; 70mm; 1/15s @ f/3.5; ISO 25600

Nice results Matt, but this one 25600 I have to say, I'm genuinely impressed!!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Nice results Matt, but this one 25600 I have to say, I'm genuinely impressed!!
    Lloyd: Thanks. I thought I'd scared everybody off with these photos! This image was run though Nik Define 2.0 to reduce the noise. Just for comparison, I'll post the unprocessed original later tonight. ISO 25600 is probably "Circus Trick" photography. However, I do believe that IQ at 1600, 3200, and 6400 is a notch above the D3. Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd: Thanks. I thought I'd scared everybody off with these photos! This image was run though Nik Define 2.0 to reduce the noise. Just for comparison, I'll post the unprocessed original later tonight. ISO 25600 is probably "Circus Trick" photography. However, I do believe that IQ at 1600, 3200, and 6400 is a notch above the D3. Cheers, Matt
    Thanks Matt. That will be interesting to see. I have to say, I've been very impressed with what I've seen out of the D3s. Just wish I could squeeze one out of the budget... I'm afraid that's going to have to wait a while, however.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd: Here's the version before I did noise reduction etc. The NEF was imported into LR2 as a DNG (I always do that despite dire warnings; DNG is 1/2 size of NEF). LR2 applies std. settings and then I exported to this jpeg. Not a heck of a lot of difference. The "basic" file is pretty good! Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Fun series Matt! Nice job!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

After Hours...

6.[/IMG]

"Night Of The Living Dead"!
    D3 24, 1.4

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

After Hours...

"Night Of The Living Dead"!
    D3 24, 1.4
    Steve: Great stuff, especially "Time Warp" and "Frightening". The colors and the skewed images add to the sense that something's going to happen, and it's just off camera. Your fears are realized with that last photo, "Frightening"! Thanks for sharing. Cheers, Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt. The title "Frightening" is in direct reference to what was staring back at me in the mirror!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt. The title "Frightening" is in direct reference to what was staring back at me in the mirror!
    What frightened me was that a first glance I thought you were wearing a Yankees hat!!! What a relief to find my glasses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

What frightened me was that a first glance I thought you were wearing a Yankees hat!!! What a relief to find my glasses.
    Lloyd, Id wear a Pilgrim's Outfit B4 I'd wear a Yankees cap!