The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sunday morning with Nikon D3 + ZF 100/2

deepdiver

Hi..!!
I just got back from Jakarta :)
I want to share some shots from yesterday morning with Nikon D3 + ZF100/2 :D

Andree

Stuart Richardson

Wow, superb shots and a lovely model! The ZF looks like it is performing very well too...it has very nice bokeh...it reminds me of the 100mm f/2.8 APO Macro Elmarit R.

jonoslack

HI Andree
Lovely shots - especially like the third one - I really want that lens . . . . but I'm going to have to wait for it!

deepdiver

Hi Jono
Yes, it's a nice lens, however it's really hard to use this lens for outdoor pictorial (specially at F2 or F2.8 the DOF is very thin)
for the next outdoor pictorial photo shot, I think i will use ZF 85/1.4 :)
It's a lot easier to nail the Focus at F2

Andree

jonoslack

Hi Jono
Yes, it's a nice lens, however it's really hard to use this lens for outdoor pictorial (specially at F2 or F2.8 the DOF is very thin)
for the next outdoor pictorial photo shot, I think i will use ZF 85/1.4 :)
It's a lot easier to nail the Focus at F2

Andree
Hi Andree
I had a lot of anguish about which macro lens to buy for the D3 - in the end I got the 105mm nikkor - because I find autofocus pretty necessary in our windy countryside!

My real problem now is whether I want a 'low light' lens for the D3, or whether I'll continue using the M8 (which seems to have a better effect on the victims).

The 85 f1.4 is another candidate (much cheaper too!).

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Andree,
I think that after looking at your shots above, that I will stop messing around with my kit and go find a proper model.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Andree they look very nice . Looks to be shot at around F4 is that correct. I have the Zeiss 85mm 1.4 and deciding to keep it or go back to the Nikon 85mm 1.4. I have not used it much at the moment. Thoughts

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I wonder if it is the camera or the photographer who attracts all these pretty girls, maybe I should upgrade :p

All jokes apart, Andree, I do not know exactly if it is just you being a very good photographer, or the Zeiss optics in combination with the big photosites of the D3, or your skills with postprocessing or maybe all of it at the same time ...

What I do know is that I think your pictures are the best I've seen so far on the entire Internet from the new Nikon machines. Really. I know these are just small websized images, but still I think yours have something extra, something very special. Lots of 3-D, glow, bokeh, well I don't know what it is, but kudos for the impressive results.

And Guy, if you are comtemplating upgrading to the D3 I think that maybe you should wait selling the ZF 85 until you've tried out how it works with the larger photosites, and with the larger and brighter viewfinder and the better focus confirmation technologi ? Well, I dunno, it's always also about money. Maybe ask Ray if he upgraded to the D3 before he decided to sell his ZF 85 ?

(I peeped into the exif and found the first one is f/4 while the last two ones are f/2.8)

Stuart Richardson

Have you guys who need an autofocus lens considered the 105mm f/2 DC? That is what I wound up with. I don't have many good photos with it yet, but in playing around with it, it looks excellent...it reminds me a bit of the 75mm summilux...especially since you can make it into a soft focus lens at will by adding some spherical aberration. I'll ask that you ignore the hand going through my friend's head in this example (I told you I don't have good ones yet!), but you can see it is nice and sharp, as well as having AF and nice bokeh. This was at f/4 with the DC at R4. I doubt it is as sharp as the ZF, though it is quite sharp, but it makes for a good portrait lens. Dante Stella has a good write-up on it at his site: http://www.dantestella.com/technical/1052.html

And here is another sample...this at f/2. Again, forgive me for posting just a quick test shot...certainly nothing like the photos at the beginning of this thread!

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I wonder if it is the camera or the photographer who attracts all these pretty girls, maybe I should upgrade :p

All jokes apart, Andree, I do not know exactly if it is just you being a very good photographer, or the Zeiss optics in combination with the big photosites of the D3, or your skills with postprocessing or maybe all of it at the same time ...

What I do know is that I think your pictures are the best I've seen so far on the entire Internet from the new Nikon machines. Really. I know these are just small websized images, but still I think yours have something extra, something very special. Lots of 3-D, glow, bokeh, well I don't know what it is, but kudos for the impressive results.

And Guy, if you are comtemplating upgrading to the D3 I think that maybe you should wait selling the ZF 85 until you've tried out how it works with the larger photosites, and with the larger and brighter viewfinder and the better focus confirmation technologi ? Well, I dunno, it's always also about money. Maybe ask Ray if he upgraded to the D3 before he decided to sell his ZF 85 ?

(I peeped into the exif and found the first one is f/4 while the last two ones are f/2.8)

Yea just sitting on it , not in any hurry. I'm lusting after a much bigger fish. May have to sell a lot of stuff to get there.

fotografz

Andree they look very nice . Looks to be shot at around F4 is that correct. I have the Zeiss 85mm 1.4 and deciding to keep it or go back to the Nikon 85mm 1.4. I have not used it much at the moment. Thoughts
That was a tough one for me also Guy.

I decided on the Nikon 85/1.4. Even though the ZF probably would produce more beauty, AF for most of my work is more important to nail the shot.

So, I then purchased both of the ZF Macros, which add a level of utility on top of the beauty. I don't use AF much with Macro, even with my AF Canon 100/2.8. I also felt that 85 and 100 are too close in focal length, unless one of them is doing something different than the other.

deepdiver

Hi Bondo! hahahha u are very funny :)
Thx u for all the C&C ^.^
Using ZF on Nikon D3 is so much fun.
Btw, here are 3 more shots from Nikon D3 + ZF 100/2
(all pics with EXIF intake)

Andree ^^

Have you guys who need an autofocus lens considered the 105mm f/2 DC? That is what I wound up with. I don't have many good photos with it yet, but in playing around with it, it looks excellent...it reminds me a bit of the 75mm summilux...especially since you can make it into a soft focus lens at will by adding some spherical aberration. I'll ask that you ignore the hand going through my friend's head in this example (I told you I don't have good ones yet!), but you can see it is nice and sharp, as well as having AF and nice bokeh. This was at f/4 with the DC at R4. I doubt it is as sharp as the ZF, though it is quite sharp, but it makes for a good portrait lens. Dante Stella has a good write-up on it at his site: http://www.dantestella.com/technical/1052.html
No question that the 105/2.0D DC is a great lens. I had one from olden days, and still succumbed to the Zeiss 100 but truth be told, the Nikon really delivers almost everything the Zeiss does as well, though I give a slight nod to the Zeiss for IQ including sharpness, but very slight. Nikon has AF, the Zeiss macro capability. Guess I'll keep both. ;>) best...Peter

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Peter -- I am actually doing a test that opened my eyes a bit. I will give it its own thread, but suffice to say, I was surprised. I compared the 105mm nikkor to the 100mm f/2.8 APO Elmarit R. The trouncing was remarkable. The Leica was better at 2.8 all the way across the frame than the 105mm was at f/8! I think I am going to send the nikkor in for repair just to make sure there is nothing wrong with it. It's not that it was completely blurry or anything, just that the Leica was so much sharper. I know that the 100mm leica is probably one of the best telephotos ever made, but I still did not expect it to win by that much...in daily use, though, the 105mm is still very sharp and the DC ability really gives it another dimension. That said, I am now pretty curious about how the 100/2 ZF compares to the 100mm f/2.8 APO...

fotografz

Beautiful work. Lovely model.

I'm a relatively new D3 owner and have a question or two if you could help me here.

Your first shot exif information indicates that it was 100mm @ f/4; ISO 200.

When I use the ZF100/2 on my D3, there is no exif data as to what lens or what aperture was used.

I don't get it. There is no CPU data bus on the Zeiss lenses, so how is the exif info getting captured with your shots?

Do you input the info during processing? Or is there a way to manually tell the camera what non-cpu lens is being used?

Thanks for any help.

Here's what my exif info looks like compared to yours on the first shot, The arrows indicate differences, and I noted that your shutter speed is missing (??????)

Last edited: