The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oil Seed Rape (and the lone cloud)

jonoslack

Hi There
It's a holiday here today, so we went for a long walk. The oil seed rape is at it's best (I think it's called Canola in the States?).

D3 and 70-300:

The farmer's around here can be a little faceless:

These are with the 24-70:

Finally, a couple more in my ongoing project of clouds and vegetation:

Again, both taken with the 24-70

Right - now we're off to see Laurie Anderson in Norwich :)

Terry

These look so lovely on my iPhone that I'm sure when I see them on my big screen later they will look even better.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Absolutely beautiful, Jono, all of them, my favourites probably being # 4 and the last one. I think :)

Seventeen days ago, April 19th., I caught them in an earlier stage, where they hadn't turned completely yellow yet. I had to stop the car and snap this capture because of the yellow colour on the blue sea background. Especially the blue colour just looked beyond reality. (D300 and ZF 1.4/50)

robmac

before moving to Nova Scotia, we lived in an area of Canola fields and the fields of brilliant yellow are amazing. You do a double take when you first see it because it looks so 'out of place'.

Nice work.

Bono - screw the Canola/Grape Seed - am picturing a very nice place for a cottage to left of frame. On second thought, put the cottage right of frame, enjoy the fields of yellow and (the former analyst in me) - lease the land left of frame to the farmer to pay for more camera gear.

jonoslack

before moving to Nova Scotia, we lived in an area of Canola fields and the fields of brilliant yellow are amazing. You do a double take when you first see it because it looks so 'out of place'.

Nice work.
Thank you Rob

Bono - screw the Canola/Grape Seed - am picturing a very nice place for a cottage to left of frame. On second thought, put the cottage right of frame, enjoy the fields of yellow and (the former analyst in me) - lease the land left of frame to the farmer to pay for more camera gear.
Now I'm really confused . . .Bono . . . does he mean me?! Must check my bank, if it's true I can afford an H3d! . . . . then I realised that you were talking about Bondo's lovely seascape!

Bono is a pretty good approximation between Jono and Bondo!

jonoslack

Hi Terry
I hope they looked as good when you got home to your mac!

Mike - thank you. I like the cloud shot best as well, sometimes things just work.

Hi Stuart - perfect colours! I agree, but it's laughable, I'd been struggling with Nikon colours for so long, especially in that kind of evening light. I must have been crazy - just turning off AWB sorted it DOH!

Hi Andree - indeed, as long as you don't get hay fever from it!

Peter - I'm a green kind of a guy myself, but the D3 does yellow very nicely (often a problem I find)

Steen:
What a lovely shot - you haven't been back there? I'd guess this lot is actually looking just the same now (i.e. just about finished) everything happens so fast at this time of year. Is there a nice little beach at the end of that track?

Thanks everyone for looking - there should be some more later (I dropped my shirt in that field and didn't notice until I got home so I'm afraid I'll just have to go back there!).

robmac

jono - sorry about that. As you surmised, meant Bondo.

"...I dropped my shirt in that field and didn't notice until I got home so I'm afraid I'll just have to go back there!."

Ahem, I take it picture taking wasn't the primary reason for the visit to said locale on such a nice sunny day....? Not a bad way to spend an afternoon ;>

jonoslack

jono - sorry about that. As you surmised, meant Bondo.

"...I dropped my shirt in that field and didn't notice until I got home so I'm afraid I'll just have to go back there!."

Ahem, I take it picture taking wasn't the primary reason for the visit to said locale on such a nice sunny day....? Not a bad way to spend an afternoon ;>
I might be a sad bastard Rob, but I'm not so sad that I mess about with cameras with opportunities like that!:ROTFL:

Actually, it was hot, so I took it off and tucked it round the strap of the bag - when I got home . . . . it was gone!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Great series Jono! (I especially like that last image -- well seen!)

Cheers,

robmac

I might be a sad bastard Rob, but I'm not so sad that I mess about with cameras with opportunities like that!:ROTFL:

Actually, it was hot, so I took it off and tucked it round the strap of the bag - when I got home . . . . it was gone!
Ah...good to hear :toocool:

I here you, can't recall the number of light jackets and sweatshirts I've lost or (far more frequently) dropped in the only mud puddle for a kilometer after wrapping them around a shoulder strap when the weather warmed up.

robmac

Ah...good to year :toocool:

I here you, can't recall the number of light jackets and sweatshirts I've lost or (far more frequently) dropped in the only mud puddle for a kilometer after wrapping them around a shoulder strap when the weather warmed up.

BTW: All nice, but really like the 1st shot and the last . The D3 and the 14-24, 24-70 combo keeps looking more and more tempting.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jono,
Wonderful images,
Remindes me about the mustard seed that orchardists sew for nitrogen fixing in the SF Bay area.
I watched it grow bright yellow every year for almost twenty years and promised that I would get a shot one of these days, now almost all of the orchards are gone and I moved East.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thank you Jack, I'm flattered. As for 'well seen' I think it might be my only skill!
When I say "well seen" on an image, it is close to the ultimate compliment I give for the entire imaging process from visualization through display.

:thumbup:,