The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor 135mm f/2 DC

rayyan

I would appreciate if anyone with hands on experience with this lens can advise me as to its performance as a general small telephoto for landscapes and general scenes.

I am esp. interested to know its AF performance, how is it stopped down.

It being a little long in the design dept. does it have any noticeable disadvantages for general use on the full frame dslrs.

Portraits, I know this is supposed to be made for them.

Any input shall be highly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Rayran....

I can tell you the 105 is great on FX. I'm hopefully looking at a 135 in the next couple of days and will let you know my thoughts.

otumay

Rayyan, it is one heck of a lens. I've used it on S5 for portraiture and found the defocus function very creative. Never used it on FX yet, though.

rayyan

Rayyan, it is one heck of a lens. I've used it on S5 for portraiture and found the defocus function very creative. Never used it on FX yet, though.

Osman, thanks for the thumbs up on the portraiture. How about distant objects, as a general telephoto? Any suggestions? At f 5.6-8

Regards.

otumay

Rayyan, I used this lens mainly for portraits, though I found this sample taken in Kastamonu, Northern Turkey, with Kodak SLR/n, so you may have an idea of the full frame performance of this lens. (1/350 sec. at f/4.8)

rayyan

Rayyan, I used this lens mainly for portraits, though I found this sample taken in Kastamonu, Northern Turkey, with Kodak SLR/n, so you may have an idea of the full frame performance of this lens. (1/350 sec. at f/4.8)
Osman: A dream portrait Osman. beautiful, There is no doubt about its open aperture performance.

Excellent enticement Osman!:thumbs:

AlexLF

It may be late but here's one wedding photo (D3x, DC 135/2, f 3.5, ISO 200, no PP):

In general, I like this lens a lot for portraiture. It's also good for landscapes. I'd like to try Nikkor 200/2 but its weight ... stops me right there!

rayyan

It may be late but here's one wedding photo (D3x, DC 135/2, f 3.5, ISO 200, no PP):

In general, I like this lens a lot for portraiture. It's also good for landscapes. I'd like to try Nikkor 200/2 but its weight ... stops me right there!
Alex: Thank you for posting a lovely wedding photo with the lens. It is also
great to learn that it is good for landscapes.

Much appreciated.

J

JohnA_BatonRouge

This picture of one of the grandaughters, Erin (15) was taken with the 135mm f/2.0DC on my D700 @f/2.5. It just gets crisper as you stop down. It is definitely a fine landscape lens, but photographers use it primarily at wider apertures because of the wonderful bokeh it produces.
Regards,
JohnA

Attachments

cs750

Rayran,
You have probably already made your decision, but I have been using the 135mm f/2 DC for approximately two years almost exclusively for landscape. It became my primary landscape lens. It is a VERY sharp lens, and handles quite well on a full frame Nikon. I approximately 75% of my landscape images on my web site were made with this lens. I will be glad to give you the link to that web site or answer any questions you have if you are still looking for information. I have tried to post a picture here, but don't really know how....so, it may not work.
www.CharlesStephensGalleries.com

I never thought about landscapes with thins lens (I have the 105). I use it primarily as a portrait lens.

Here's one from a couple of weeks ago. It is tack sharp. I prefer this focal distance (or the 135) over the 85 1.4 for portraits. I would LOVE to have a 135 tho.