The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro thread everyone?

jonoslack

Stefan
that really is a grand shot.
These ones are all taken with the 105 macro:

I'm not sure I ever expected clarity like this from a Nikon lens.

I think these are some kind of onion - look more like fireworks to me!

Love Lies Bleeding - definitely a photographic cliche, but you just have to give it a go!

Purple Tulips? I'm still trying to discover who decided to plant them!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
These are all just so beautiful, even the purple tulip shot, though I agree that normally I as well dislike that color for tulips.
In our garden we have a really plasticly synthetic ugly one that I will not even show you in order not to spoil this thread of beauty.
Nevertheless I need to admit that I do like this specific purple-and-green shot, maybe because in this case the Out Of Focus rendering is so delicious.
Still my favourite would be the firework onion because it has this special D3 glowing magic going on in the OOF area, that I like so much.

etrigan63

Great shots everyone! I am waiting for Cindy to get her Kenko Extension Tube set to see how well they work on the CV 58mm. I may then order a set for myself and join the fun here!

Greg Lockrey

Canon 5D w/DWijis 3.6:1 @ f/90 Stereo Macro lens. Twin electronic flash w/diffusers.

1: Dandelion seed in flight and in stereo. (Cross your eyes until you see three images and concentrate on the center image to see it in 3D).

2: Daiascia Hybrid. Same lens. This flower for those who don't know it about the size of finger nail.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Just when I thought I had successfully avoided this lens.
Thanks Cindy and Jorgen for the kind words, I'm afraid it reminds me a bit of Mitch's comments about flowers with blurred backgrounds being too simple and meaningless! Then of course, this is just a humble dandelion.

HI Terry
You might remember that I had terrible anguish about whether to buy this lens or the Zeiss 100mm f2 (which is what I really wanted). In the end a combination of practicality (1:1 life size, VR, AF) and my stinginess (£450 rather than £1100) won the day.
I'm not sorry - the combination of continuous autofocus and VR makes for a really flexible hand held macro, something I just couldn't have managed with the Zeiss. It's been windy here for weeks (until today when it's raining), I don't think any of these recent shots could have been done without continuous focus.

Added to which, it has a lovely smooth bokeh - no doubt the Zeiss is nicer, but it can't be THAT much nicer!

There now . . . I've made it worse! (and I still want the Zeiss, my naughty brain is talking about portrait etc. etc).

jonoslack

Hi Stefan
Lovely shot
Right, well, that must be the nail in the coffin of Terry's resistance.

You'd better nip out at lunchtime and buy one!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Jono, I think Andree has showed us the waterproof solution.
In order to be able to do both portraits & flowers, and bugs, you simply need to have both lenses :D

jonoslack

Jono, I think Andree has showed us the waterproof solution.
In order to be able to do both portraits & flowers, and bugs, you simply need to have both lenses :D
Steen
that was quite uncalled for :mad:- everytime someone says something like that I reach for my credit card. The point of this sidetrack is to persuade Terry to spend money - not ME!

But No - the answer is, for those moments when I'd use the Zeiss 100 f2 on my D3 for portraits I'd be better to use the 75 'cron on the M8. . . . wouldn't I?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Absolutely !
Btw. nothing wrong about "being too simple and meaningless". I do that all the time :)

Terry

Steen
that was quite uncalled for :mad:- everytime someone says something like that I reach for my credit card. The point of this sidetrack is to persuade Terry to spend money - not ME!
You are an evil man!!! :LOL:

I need to sort out my lenses. I now have....

16-85 DX
24-70
70-300
18-200 DX

I bought the 16-85 and 70-300 as my all around two lenses. Lots of reach and at the wide end the 16-85 was supposedly better than the 18-200. The 16-85 turned out to be too slow for any indoors stuff so I bought the 24-70 (Jono - I didn't want more DX lenses and I know you think the range is boring on a D300). I got the 18-200 with the rebate how can you resist at about $400 making the 16-85 redundant. So, once I get off my a** and sell the 16-85, the 105 would be BOTH my macro and portrait lens.

Now to rationalize my M8 lenses....