The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro thread everyone?

jonoslack

Hi There
it's the time of year for macros (at least in the North). Everything is fresh and green.

I'll get started - here are a few from the D3 with the nikon 105 AFS VR - all on continuous focus (single point) auto ISO (I like it easy!).

Bracken and blue flower (shame on me)

Yesterday it was a red tulip!

Apple blossom is just the best!

This is the only one with any serious photoshop (in fact it's from 3 shots)

Actually, maybe tulips are the best :)

Love Lies Bleeding - the cliche of the year! (my take on it)

Catch it! Catch it! . . . . dammit, missed

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Stunning, simply, can't wait to get my own true macro lens.
There's so much beauty hidden in the details in nature.
Until then, do crops count ? - and is the fourth an HDR merge ?
/Steen

jonoslack

Stunning, simply, can't wait to get my own true macro lens.
There's so much beauty hidden in the details in nature.
Until then, do crops count ? - and is the fourth an HDR merge ?
/Steen
HI There

I was really angushing whether to get the £1000 zeis ZF lens or the Nikon 105 AFS VR (£420). I got the Nikon, and I'm really pleased - I've no doubt the zeiss is nicer, but there isn't much wrong with that Nikon bokeh, and the CAF is wonderful for the windy!

EVERYTHING counts!
Not an HDR merge - a depth of field merge (one for the daffodil, one for the pot and one for the cork.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Ah yes it's a macro close up with a narrow DOF, so of course it's a DOF merge, what was I thinking about :eek:
Your Nikkor VR looks great, more than great, it looks razor, and the bo-ke looks like butter in the sun.
Remember to enjoy its advantages like AF, VR and 1:1 e.g. when shooting flying insects. Show us some meat :D

harmsr

Workshop Member
Don't forget how nice a feature the VR is to use also when using a 105 or 100 focal length. It makes this lens very easy to use as a Macro handheld, while the Zeiss is more difficult.

I also happen to love the bokeh of this lens for portrait use.

The Zeiss was marginally better, but much more difficult to nail focus and avoid movement. The AF & VR really made my decision for me when I actually had both in hand.

The other advantage of the 105VR Nikon is that I can use my 1.7 extender to get a 173 lens. (Nice for travel.)

Best,

Ray

V

Vivek

Jono, Good going. :)

I posted a couple of IR close-ups earlier and there were no takers. Either no one liked the images or shoots in IR. :confused:

Here are some more:

Visible light (D300, some lens):

Infrared, D80IR

Ultraviolet, modified D40x, Baader U 2" filter, flash

jonoslack

Jono, Good going. :)

I posted a couple of IR close-ups earlier and there were no takers. Either no one liked the images or shoots in IR. :confused:
HI There Vivek - more great shots - I also liked your previous IR ones - sometimes threads do, and sometimes the don't!

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Jono - your "love lies bleeding" is truly beautiful....great subject handled well with good lighting.....

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
Here is Canon macro stuff....BTW- Guy some of these shots are why are was interested in buying your 100mm USM macro, I shot these with a friends, he didn't want to sell it.....:)

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Vivek, Jono, Don ... these are beautiful, all of them.
That last Dandelion "wishie" image is just so magically dreamy in the beautiful evening light.
May this thread keep rolling !

jonoslack

Good to see that you resurrected this thread, Jono. One more..
Hey Vivek - that's lovely - I'd love to do some underwater stuff . . . . but my first attempts were rather awful . . and the beach I like to go to is actually rather boring underwater.

As for the thread . . . if we don't keep it alive, we don't have anyone else to blame :)

jonoslack

Here is Canon macro stuff....BTW- Guy some of these shots are why are was interested in buying your 100mm USM macro, I shot these with a friends, he didn't want to sell it.....:)
Hey Don - lovely shots, especially the second one . . . it looks soooooo pissed off, definitely a case for the samaritans!

jonoslack

Vivek, Jono, Don ... these are beautiful, all of them.
That last Dandelion "wishie" image is just so magically dreamy in the beautiful evening light.
May this thread keep rolling !
Hi Steen
Come on in, the water is warm (well, it is if you have a wetsuit on)
and if you don't have a macro lens . . . then just call it close-up!

Stuart Richardson

I have Steen's macro lens right now! He was kind enough to lend it me since it was just sitting in New Jersey waiting for his brother to sail across the ocean to pick it up. In the meantime, nature decided to pour rain all day, so I did not have a chance to test it yet. I hope that it is nicer tomorrow. If so, I will get out and photograph something. The only thing I have used it for so far is to photograph the cartridge on my turntable. I just installed it last night, and it took me about 4 hours. Man, the good stuff always requires patience. And a tracking force gauge. And a Baerwald protractor. And tweezers. And pliers. And tiny screwdrivers. And three hands.

Nevertheless, I think I managed to get it on properly. It certainly sounds amazing.

Steen, don't worry, I will give the lens a proper test as soon as the weather clears.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) I just installed it last night, and it took me about 4 hours. (...)
Hi Stuart, I hope you mean the cartridge and not the lens :D
Looking forward to see a new "Happy ~100mm lens get-together" thread.
Now we need a Nikkor AF-S 2.8/105mm VR Micro to have a full house, anyone around New York willing to lend Stuart that lens for the lens get-together :)
Lots of good light
Steen
Btw. beautiful picture, I'll look at it, a lot .-)

V

Vivek

Steen, Jono, Thanks.:)

Jono, That was a door hook in the 2nd floor balcony. ~5pm. 10.5mm fisheye nikkor at 14cm (closest focus). The hook was ~ 5cm from the lens' tip. This lens flares and ghosts when pointed towards the Sun.

No underwater. It is IR (false color IR to be precise).