The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D3s and non cpu lens question

ryc

I just picked up a new d3s this weekend and have been enjoying it. Currently I only have manual focus Zeiss lenses and a 50mm 1.2 AIS. I noticed that with the CPU Zeiss lenses my exposure is spot on. However, when I throw on the AIS lens, the exposure is way under exposed. I have programmed the non cpu lens to be what I am using. However, are there other settings that can be assigned to a non cpu lens that will bring my exposure into the right range?

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Jorge, was it the same with the D700?

On both my D700 and D3X using ZF (non-CPU) lenses, i have no problem whatsoever with A mode. Neither with AIS glass, in particular the supposedly problematic PCs. In the latter case the A mode is not suppposed to work (well it does, in some way) but the metering in M mode is ok.

AFAIK, there's no way to assign any further automatic settings to non-cpu lens except FL & min. aperture. But maybe our official documentalist and manual expert (Steen, you there?) will chime in. He'll know better.

Just in case, have you checked that when you "throw on the AIS lens", you're properly selecting the right lens/settings in the menu?
I'm sure you do, but it has happened to me before (typically when switching between 21/2.8 - 50/2 - 28/3.5).

Last but not least, which metering mode do you use with the AIS?
If you leave the Matrix mode on, it might explain some off metering. In most cases with AIS / non-CPU lenses, i use spot metering (with often double recompose, exposure, then focus, then actual framing, esp. for handheld landscapes). Center weighted should work fine, though.

ryc

i believe I am using matrix mode. The one in the middle of the dial. I dont remember how it behaved on d700. its been a while. Also, I only have 1 non cpu lens programmed and that is the default one.

Regardless, the camera takes some beautiful pictures!

jsf

I have a D700 and except for one of my lens all of my lenses are non-cpu, I have even programmed my 4x5 lenses into the menu, so when I throw the D700 onto my 4x5 it works perfectly in A mode.. The only real problem is the dummy (me) who doesn't always remember to switch on the menu to whatever lens that I am using. Joe

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) AFAIK, there's no way to assign any further automatic settings to non-cpu lens except FL & min. aperture. (...)

I believe Corlan is right about everything he said (except for the hint about me being kind of a manual expert :D)

Jorge, have you checked if the Nikon AI-S lens aperture blades get stuck before reaching the max aperture end of the range ?
Or does it underexpose at any aperture ?

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
[...] The only real problem is the dummy (me) who doesn't always remember to switch on the menu to whatever lens that I am using. Joe
Welcome to the club! :eek:

(it helped though to assign the FN button to non-cpu lens selection)

i believe I am using matrix mode. The one in the middle of the dial. I dont remember how it behaved on d700. its been a while. Also, I only have 1 non cpu lens programmed and that is the default one.

Regardless, the camera takes some beautiful pictures!
It sure does.
Though you might want to try center weighted with the AIS, you should get better results.

Jorge, have you checked if the Nikon AI-S lens aperture blades get stuck before reaching the max aperture end of the range ?
Or does it underexpose at any aperture ?
Good point. Another thing to check.

ryc

Lens is flawless. no sticking blades. Its new. I changed to center weight metering and it improves. If I don't, I have to compensate by +.7

Anyway, Its no big deal.

Thanks all!

stenrasmussen

Have you by any chance installed a split prism focusing screen?
The reason I'm asking is that I have played with a couple of different ones and one of them threw the exposures severely off.