Site Sponsors

Thread: D3s and non cpu lens question

Post Thanks / Like

D3s and non cpu lens question

I just picked up a new d3s this weekend and have been enjoying it. Currently I only have manual focus Zeiss lenses and a 50mm 1.2 AIS. I noticed that with the CPU Zeiss lenses my exposure is spot on. However, when I throw on the AIS lens, the exposure is way under exposed. I have programmed the non cpu lens to be what I am using. However, are there other settings that can be assigned to a non cpu lens that will bring my exposure into the right range?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: D3s and non cpu lens question

Jorge, was it the same with the D700?

On both my D700 and D3X using ZF (non-CPU) lenses, i have no problem whatsoever with A mode. Neither with AIS glass, in particular the supposedly problematic PCs. In the latter case the A mode is not suppposed to work (well it does, in some way) but the metering in M mode is ok.

AFAIK, there's no way to assign any further automatic settings to non-cpu lens except FL & min. aperture. But maybe our official documentalist and manual expert (Steen, you there?) will chime in. He'll know better.

Just in case, have you checked that when you "throw on the AIS lens", you're properly selecting the right lens/settings in the menu?
    I'm sure you do, but it has happened to me before (typically when switching between 21/2.8 - 50/2 - 28/3.5).

Last but not least, which metering mode do you use with the AIS?
    If you leave the Matrix mode on, it might explain some off metering. In most cases with AIS / non-CPU lenses, i use spot metering (with often double recompose, exposure, then focus, then actual framing, esp. for handheld landscapes). Center weighted should work fine, though.

Post Thanks / Like

i believe I am using matrix mode. The one in the middle of the dial. I dont remember how it behaved on d700. its been a while. Also, I only have 1 non cpu lens programmed and that is the default one.

Regardless, the camera takes some beautiful pictures!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a D700 and except for one of my lens all of my lenses are non-cpu, I have even programmed my 4x5 lenses into the menu, so when I throw the D700 onto my 4x5 it works perfectly in A mode.. The only real problem is the dummy (me) who doesn't always remember to switch on the menu to whatever lens that I am using. Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    (...) AFAIK, there's no way to assign any further automatic settings to non-cpu lens except FL & min. aperture. (...)

I believe Corlan is right about everything he said (except for the hint about me being kind of a manual expert )

Jorge, have you checked if the Nikon AI-S lens aperture blades get stuck before reaching the max aperture end of the range ?
    Or does it underexpose at any aperture ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jsf View Post
    [...] The only real problem is the dummy (me) who doesn't always remember to switch on the menu to whatever lens that I am using. Joe
    Welcome to the club!

(it helped though to assign the FN button to non-cpu lens selection)

Quote Originally Posted by ryc View Post
    i believe I am using matrix mode. The one in the middle of the dial. I dont remember how it behaved on d700. its been a while. Also, I only have 1 non cpu lens programmed and that is the default one.

Regardless, the camera takes some beautiful pictures!
    It sure does.
    Though you might want to try center weighted with the AIS, you should get better results.

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    Jorge, have you checked if the Nikon AI-S lens aperture blades get stuck before reaching the max aperture end of the range ?
    Or does it underexpose at any aperture ?
    Good point. Another thing to check.

Post Thanks / Like

Lens is flawless. no sticking blades. Its new. I changed to center weight metering and it improves. If I don't, I have to compensate by +.7

Anyway, Its no big deal.

Thanks all!

Post Thanks / Like

Have you by any chance installed a split prism focusing screen?
    The reason I'm asking is that I have played with a couple of different ones and one of them threw the exposures severely off.

Post Thanks / Like

No after market screen installed. Overall it does well.

Here are my first shots with it and the 50mm 1.2 AIS.

http://nikonimages.com/showgallery.p...collection=209

I just picked up the 24mm 1.4 yesterday. Looking forward to shooting with that.