The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New nikon body and lenses

DavidL

Seems genuine unless someone has made up the page
Full report on Nikon Rumours

In the September edition of the German photo magazine “Foto Digital”, which was sent to subscribers today, there is an article about the new Nikon D3100 and the four new lenses.

Nikon D3100 (updated):

* 14 MP CMOS Sensor (23.2 x 15.5 mm)
* Live View
* 3 inch Display
* 100 – 12800 ISO
* ISO setting manual or automatic
* 11 AF points
* full HD Video (1920 x 1080)
* price 650 €
* new EXPEED2 processor
* improved objects recognition for the AF control
* improved in-camera menu
* user can save picture profiles

And the 4 new lenses:

* Nikkor AF-S DX 55-300/4,5-5,6 G ED VR (ca. 420 €)
* Nikkor AF-S 85/1,4 G with Nano coating (ca. 1650 €) – UPDATE: the new lens contains 10 lens elements in 9 groups (the old version has 9 elements in 8 groups)
* Nikkor AF-S 24-120/4 G ED VR with Nano coating (ca. 1220 €)
* Nikkor AF-S 28-300/3,5-5,6 G ED VR (ca. 1000 €) – UPDATE: it will contain 19 lens elements in 14 groups

tjv

As much as I appreciate the fact a lot of people out there want an AF-S version of the 85mm f1.4, I'd personally rather see a AF-S 35mm f1.4 with nano-crystal coating. For me, Nikon is seriously lacking in the premium prime, wide-normal lens category. The AF-S 24mm f1.4 is a sweet lens. Just give me a premium 35mm and 50mm AF-S lens to match.

I just got the current AF-S 50mm f1.4 and it's fine for my D700 but I wonder how well it would do on the next gen bodies or even the D3X. I'd be surprised if Nikon wasn't giving their all to develop more high end primes on par with the new 24mm. Canon just has it all over Nikon in this area.

Nice to see this entry level body has 1080P high-def though. Good sign for Nikon's next gen on pro models.

Dustbak

I agree on the AF-S35/1.4. I would certainly scoop that one up. The 24 is an awesome lens however I often feel I need to come in too close to get what I want or I get a bit too much from the perspective I want. Besides that, I have never owned a lens that is that scaringly sharp at 1.4.

I also will pre-order the AFS85/1.4. I assume it will be better than the old model which was one really nice lens. I have sold it 2 years ago in anticipation for the better auto focus model. After using the ZF85 for 2 years it will be nice to have another AF85 :)

The AF-S50/1.4 is nice lens but I find the AF much too slow.

Don't know whether Canon has the edge with regards to primes. The old Nikon primes still have some that are very good but I would certainly appreciate it when the prime line is updated in its entirety. Some lenses are dated and lacking in one or more areas.

tjv

The L primes are nice in that they are all USM and focus without rotating the focus ring. I hate the D series Nikkors for that reason. They are horrible to hold and use, plus are not weather / dust sealed. The L series 35mm and 50mm are certainly nice lenses, although the 50mm less so.

R

RRRoger

I find it strange that they would come out with a 3100 SLR.
Or, Is this the Coolpix?

R

RRRoger

Yes, but there is already a CoolPix 3100
It is only 3.2mp and does not have interchangeable lens
This is obviously only a rumor

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
When you buy the camera, just bring this photo:

and tell them that you are looking for the other, more recent model with more or less the same name :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
... or you could bring this one and say that you want the model that has the same name as the one to the right, but with enhanced attributes :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Can I have both? One as a backup.
Rayyan, that is a very confusing question. Do you mean the P3100 and the P2100 or the P3100 and the D3100 :confused:

Since I live in a part of the world where things tend to come in small sizes, I'll wait for the D3.1.00.Xs ;)