The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D3 with Summicron/Summilux (M)

S

shutterbugh

Hi everyone,
I need some advice and information on how to get a Summicron-M or a Summilux-M on a Nikon D3..
any and ALL information will be greatly appreciated!

*also, will i be better off with the "R" lenses?*

Last edited:

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Hi everyone,
I need some advice and information on how to get a Summicron-M or a Summilux-M a Nikon D3..
any and ALL information will be greatly appreciated!

*also, will i be better off with the "R" lenses?*
AFAIK there's no technical way to mount a M lens on a F body.

R lenses are no problem, adapters are available (Leitax etc.) and they even can be converted directly to F mount.

S

shutterbugh

thanks Corlan
thats what i was afraid of!
what adapters are recommended/preferred (for us in the US)? i do recall reading something about Leitax here on this forum.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
thanks Corlan
thats what i was afraid of!
what adapters are recommended/preferred (for us in the US)? i do recall reading something about Leitax here on this forum.
Leitax and CameraQuest have a good reputation for R-to-F adapters.
Don't use any at the moment... maybe someone around with first-hand experience ?

(i'm also lurking a couple of R lenses from time to time :eek: but i'd probably get a converted version)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
As far as I know, there are no adapters for R to F mount. They have to be converted with a Leitax mount. The process is rather straightforward though, and fully reversible. Check out www.leitax.com.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
The adapter has to be be screwed on, so it's not per se an adapter, is that it?
Many Nikons with R lenses around here... they usually talk about an "adapter", but maybe it's more a "bayonet swap". :confused:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The adapter has to be be screwed on, so it's not per se an adapter, is that it?
Many Nikons with R lenses around here... they usually talk about an "adapter", but maybe it's more a "bayonet swap". :confused:
"Bayonet swap" would be the right term, yes. The register distance of R and F mount are almost the same, which is the reason why a conventional adapter is not possible. EF and 4/3 mount have shorter distances, making the use of alternative lenses much easier. Some lenses (like my Zeiss CY 85mm f/1.4 :( ) can't even be converted to F-mount.

Hacker

There are adapters to mount M lenses to F, but they only focus like a few cm :). Here is the 80mm mounted to a Nikon, and a sample from the combination.

Handheld 1/30, using the D700.