Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    Was teaching myself Hasselblad's new Phocus Software by shooting stuff with the H3D-II/39 teathered to the computer ... and used my favorite new little carry about, the D300 and ZF 50/2 Macro, as one of the test subjects.

    I thought, what the heck, might as well post it.

    The original is 24" wide, straight out of the H3D. I can FTP an original tiff to anyone interested.

    enjoy
    Last edited by fotografz; 23rd July 2008 at 02:28.

  2. #2
    Senior Subscriber Member Steen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Denmark, CPH
    Posts
    2,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    Excellent product shot, Marc, I would love to have the file.
    I've sent you an email.
    Exif says f/36, is that for real
    I've never shot Medium Format myself
    Steen

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    Excellent product shot, Marc, I would love to have the file.
    I've sent you an email.
    Exif says f/36, is that for real
    I've never shot Medium Format myself
    Steen
    Yeah, that H/C 120 Macro lens goes down to f/45. I should have stopped down even more than f/36 because the back end of the shot is just a wee bit soft ... but you get diminishing returns due to small aperture de-fraction after f/32 or so : -)

    Will upload to my SendThisFile account.

  4. #4
    Senior Subscriber Member Steen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Denmark, CPH
    Posts
    2,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    Phew, this is for adults.
    I've now downloaded the 320 Mb TIFF file with the image measuring 8640 x 6324 pixels
    If I was to work with files this big I would have to buy a new computer just for a start.
    Interesting just for once to have the opportunity to take a closer look at such a whopper picture, that I've until now only heard abotut. Thanks a lot Marc

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    Phew, this is for adults.
    I've now downloaded the 320 Mb TIFF file with the image measuring 8640 x 6324 pixels
    If I was to work with files this big I would have to buy a new computer just for a start.
    Interesting just for once to have the opportunity to take a closer look at such a whopper picture, that I've until now only heard about. Thanks a lot Marc
    Not the greatest example since it wasn't the purpose of the exercise ... I was just setting up my preferences for tethered shooting and trying a 32' tether cord ... but gives you an idea of the potential.

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    I would like a copy as well.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    I would like a copy as well.
    Need your e-mail address for SendThisFile. I think I'll make it a bit smaller since it takes forever to send.

    Marc

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    HI Marc
    Love these shots you do - simple question; how do you deal with the dust on the camera? do you clean it first; despot it after (or both).

    Just this guy you know

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Marc
    Love these shots you do - simple question; how do you deal with the dust on the camera? do you clean it first; despot it after (or both).
    Canned air. Some dust still shows up and has to be cloned out, but not much.

    Irakly and I just did my entire Canon system, like 9 lenses and two cameras,
    to put up for sale ... and we got a little sloppy toward the end, so there's more cloning to do

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    I would like a copy as well.
    Bondo says it's available here (once I upload it, it's there for a week):

    https://www6.sendthisfile.com/d.jsp?...QJkFb0nZL2xRdF

  11. #11
    Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    32' tether?!

    Granite Digital I presume?

    Bob Moore

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Bondo says it's available here (once I upload it, it's there for a week):

    https://www6.sendthisfile.com/d.jsp?...QJkFb0nZL2xRdF
    Yes it is. Downloading now as we speak (figuratively).
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    What do you think of that 50 Marc? I have the 28 ( which is just fantastic) and the 100 ( which is too hard for me to focus wide open for some reason) I dont like the standard Nikon focusing screen for manual focussing..any suggestions?

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    32' tether?!

    Granite Digital I presume?

    Bob Moore
    Yep, Granite Digital.

    Although I'm not convinced that their heavy duty approach is the best idea. The cord places a tremendous torque on the firewire 800 outlet port on the camera and tower.

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    What do you think of that 50 Marc? I have the 28 ( which is just fantastic) and the 100 ( which is too hard for me to focus wide open for some reason) I dont like the standard Nikon focusing screen for manual focussing..any suggestions?
    Hi Peter. I have the 50 and 100, and at your suggestion the 28 is on it's way. If Zeiss does the 21/2.8, I'll jump on that one also.

    The 50 is pretty much glued to the D300 ... it's just the perfect size for that camera. I really like the C/U Bokeh at f/2. The field of view is like a 75mm, which I like for a normal portrait lens. I got the ZF lenses mostly to use on the D300 for a smaller "personal" kit.

    The D3 is primarily for weddings, and I rarely use a manual focus 35mm lenses for that application. I've secured the grip base for the D300, but that also will only be used for weddings. BTW, all my Canon gear is going on the block. I sincerely hope this is the last time I have to do a system flip-flop.

    Focusing is indeed an issue. My first step was to secure the Brightscreen Magnifier for the D300. It has already proven to be a wise move. I had done the same with the DMR a year ago and it made a world of difference ... so that was the first thing I did with the D300. If needed, I will look into a new screen also, but I didn't like the Brightscreen screen I got for the DMR, and took it back out ... however, it remains to be seen if the same will hold true with the D300 in real world shooting. I may also need a new screen.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    Thanks Marc- DANG, no magnifier for the D3.

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Canned air. Some dust still shows up and has to be cloned out, but not much.

    Irakly and I just did my entire Canon system, like 9 lenses and two cameras,
    to put up for sale ... and we got a little sloppy toward the end, so there's more cloning to do
    Hi Marc
    Thank you - I think I suspected some kind of magic, but it seems it's just hard work (you can count me out there )

    Just this guy you know

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Thanks Marc- DANG, no magnifier for the D3.
    HI Peter
    are you using the dot to confirm focus, or your own instinct on the screen?

    I've found that (at least with the 58mm f1.4 Voigtlander) that my instincts are better than the focus confirmation (which covers a range more than that in focus). I'm still experimenting, but I reckon it should be possible to get pretty accurate with practice. Mind you, I don't have a 100 to play with

    Just this guy you know

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    N.S. Canada
    Posts
    2,010
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    I've used a Katzeye brightened screen for the 30D and was quite impressed with it's ease of install (on a Canon) and accuracy. It was a split+prism and was dead-nuts accurate - could focus a Leica 180/2 APO (288mm /2) effective on a focus test chart at very close to MFD.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    62

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Peter
    are you using the dot to confirm focus, or your own instinct on the screen?

    I've found that (at least with the 58mm f1.4 Voigtlander) that my instincts are better than the focus confirmation (which covers a range more than that in focus). I'm still experimenting, but I reckon it should be possible to get pretty accurate with practice. Mind you, I don't have a 100 to play with
    Jono,

    I've found the confirmation dot works perfectly if you turn the focus ring from near towards infinity and just when the dot comes on you should be good. Don't know why this is, but it seems to hold true on the D3, D300, and D40x that I own.

    Greg

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    Rob
    I HATE split screens - they may help in focusing, but I can't compose properly with a big blob in the middle!

    Greg
    Thanks for that - I knew I'd read it somewhere - must try it . . . on the other hand I'm getting pretty good results just using the matte screen.

    Incidentally, what's the viewfinder like on that little 40x?

    Just this guy you know

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    62

    Re: Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Rob
    I HATE split screens - they may help in focusing, but I can't compose properly with a big blob in the middle!

    Greg
    Thanks for that - I knew I'd read it somewhere - must try it . . . on the other hand I'm getting pretty good results just using the matte screen.

    Incidentally, what's the viewfinder like on that little 40x?
    It's pretty decent considering the size of the camera. Brightness wise it's really not that far behind the D300 and D3. The size of the viewfinder is somewhat smaller but still workable. I find it more of a requirement to use the confirmation light with it than on the others. Overall it's a fun little camera that does a pretty decent job considering I picked it up for around $580 with the kit lens new a few months ago. Build quality wise it's surprisingly good, a tight solid little package.

    Greg

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •