The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Free D300 Screen Saver : -)

fotografz

Was teaching myself Hasselblad's new Phocus Software by shooting stuff with the H3D-II/39 teathered to the computer ... and used my favorite new little carry about, the D300 and ZF 50/2 Macro, as one of the test subjects.

I thought, what the heck, might as well post it.

The original is 24" wide, straight out of the H3D. I can FTP an original tiff to anyone interested.

enjoy :angel:

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Excellent product shot, Marc, I would love to have the file.
I've sent you an email.
Exif says f/36, is that for real :eek:
I've never shot Medium Format myself :eek:
Steen

fotografz

Excellent product shot, Marc, I would love to have the file.
I've sent you an email.
Exif says f/36, is that for real :eek:
I've never shot Medium Format myself :eek:
Steen
Yeah, that H/C 120 Macro lens goes down to f/45. I should have stopped down even more than f/36 because the back end of the shot is just a wee bit soft ... but you get diminishing returns due to small aperture de-fraction after f/32 or so : -)

Will upload to my SendThisFile account.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Phew, this is for adults.
I've now downloaded the 320 Mb TIFF file with the image measuring 8640 x 6324 pixels :shocked:
If I was to work with files this big I would have to buy a new computer just for a start.
Interesting just for once to have the opportunity to take a closer look at such a whopper picture, that I've until now only heard abotut. Thanks a lot Marc :thumbup:

fotografz

Phew, this is for adults.
I've now downloaded the 320 Mb TIFF file with the image measuring 8640 x 6324 pixels :shocked:
If I was to work with files this big I would have to buy a new computer just for a start.
Interesting just for once to have the opportunity to take a closer look at such a whopper picture, that I've until now only heard about. Thanks a lot Marc :thumbup:
Not the greatest example since it wasn't the purpose of the exercise ... I was just setting up my preferences for tethered shooting and trying a 32' tether cord ... but gives you an idea of the potential.

jonoslack

HI Marc
Love these shots you do - simple question; how do you deal with the dust on the camera? do you clean it first; despot it after (or both).

fotografz

HI Marc
Love these shots you do - simple question; how do you deal with the dust on the camera? do you clean it first; despot it after (or both).
Canned air. Some dust still shows up and has to be cloned out, but not much.

Irakly and I just did my entire Canon system, like 9 lenses and two cameras,
to put up for sale ... and we got a little sloppy toward the end, so there's more cloning to do :(

PeterA

What do you think of that 50 Marc? I have the 28 ( which is just fantastic) and the 100 ( which is too hard for me to focus wide open for some reason) I dont like the standard Nikon focusing screen for manual focussing..any suggestions?

fotografz

32' tether?!

Granite Digital I presume?

Bob Moore
Yep, Granite Digital.

Although I'm not convinced that their heavy duty approach is the best idea. The cord places a tremendous torque on the firewire 800 outlet port on the camera and tower.

fotografz

What do you think of that 50 Marc? I have the 28 ( which is just fantastic) and the 100 ( which is too hard for me to focus wide open for some reason) I dont like the standard Nikon focusing screen for manual focussing..any suggestions?
Hi Peter. I have the 50 and 100, and at your suggestion the 28 is on it's way. If Zeiss does the 21/2.8, I'll jump on that one also.

The 50 is pretty much glued to the D300 ... it's just the perfect size for that camera. I really like the C/U Bokeh at f/2. The field of view is like a 75mm, which I like for a normal portrait lens. I got the ZF lenses mostly to use on the D300 for a smaller "personal" kit.

The D3 is primarily for weddings, and I rarely use a manual focus 35mm lenses for that application. I've secured the grip base for the D300, but that also will only be used for weddings. BTW, all my Canon gear is going on the block. I sincerely hope this is the last time I have to do a system flip-flop.

Focusing is indeed an issue. My first step was to secure the Brightscreen Magnifier for the D300. It has already proven to be a wise move. I had done the same with the DMR a year ago and it made a world of difference ... so that was the first thing I did with the D300. If needed, I will look into a new screen also, but I didn't like the Brightscreen screen I got for the DMR, and took it back out ... however, it remains to be seen if the same will hold true with the D300 in real world shooting. I may also need a new screen.

jonoslack

Canned air. Some dust still shows up and has to be cloned out, but not much.

Irakly and I just did my entire Canon system, like 9 lenses and two cameras,
to put up for sale ... and we got a little sloppy toward the end, so there's more cloning to do :(
Hi Marc
Thank you - I think I suspected some kind of magic, but it seems it's just hard work (you can count me out there :rolleyes:)

jonoslack

Thanks Marc- DANG, no magnifier for the D3.
HI Peter
are you using the dot to confirm focus, or your own instinct on the screen?

I've found that (at least with the 58mm f1.4 Voigtlander) that my instincts are better than the focus confirmation (which covers a range more than that in focus). I'm still experimenting, but I reckon it should be possible to get pretty accurate with practice. Mind you, I don't have a 100 to play with :(

robmac

I've used a Katzeye brightened screen for the 30D and was quite impressed with it's ease of install (on a Canon) and accuracy. It was a split+prism and was dead-nuts accurate - could focus a Leica 180/2 APO (288mm /2) effective on a focus test chart at very close to MFD.

Greg Seitz

HI Peter
are you using the dot to confirm focus, or your own instinct on the screen?

I've found that (at least with the 58mm f1.4 Voigtlander) that my instincts are better than the focus confirmation (which covers a range more than that in focus). I'm still experimenting, but I reckon it should be possible to get pretty accurate with practice. Mind you, I don't have a 100 to play with :(
Jono,

I've found the confirmation dot works perfectly if you turn the focus ring from near towards infinity and just when the dot comes on you should be good. Don't know why this is, but it seems to hold true on the D3, D300, and D40x that I own.

Greg