The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPad as Nikon raw image storage device

Mitchell

Has anyone used an iPad to store raw images from a D700?

Or a Leica M 8?

I'm thinking of getting an iPad.

Best,

Mitchell

simonclivehughes

Forget it, the iPad doesn't allow file storage... the Photo app just inhales a jpg version. Viewing on the iPad, however, is fabulous!

trisberg

I don't have an iPad since the option of using the device for managing files is very limited. From what I have read though, it should be possible once you jailbreak the iPad. That should give you the option of mounting external drives and memory cards using the camera kit. Has anyone here tried this?

-Thomas

Terry

Forget it, the iPad doesn't allow file storage... the Photo app just inhales a jpg version. Viewing on the iPad, however, is fabulous!
No - the iPad does indeed "inhale" RAW files. If you shoot RAW only and import to iPad embedded jpeg will be displayed (M8 embedded jpegs are small and not good) if you import RAW + jpeg the full jpeg is visible.

When you the go to transfer the files to a computer, both RAW and jpeg move. If you delete from the iPad both RAW + jpeg move.

However, when using the iPad and deleting items (when you aren't deleting all of the items) can be manual as you need to choose file by file and the iPad lumps all of your imports into one giant albumn that you can't currently reorganize on the iPad. A firmware update is needed to improve the handling.

Last edited:

Diane B

I'm neither a Nikon nor a Leica shooter but I'll stick my nose in a moment. There is one way to organize but its tedious. There is an app called Photosort. You can create albums (and view them within), name them and name photos. To get them in the order you wish you need to import them in that order from Photos (that's the tedious part). You can then, if you choose, reload them to saved photos in the order you have them in Photosort (hope this makes sense) but not sure why you would choose since viewing is the same in Photosort. Its harder than simply dragging/dropping but at least offers some method of organizing

In addition there is the possibility of transferring from computer to Ipad via FTP which I haven't tried.

http://photo-sort.webs.com/

Mitchell

Thanks everyone.

I guess I'm still on the fence. I'd really like to not carry my notebook on an upcoming trip. It also sounds like things will improve in the future, but can't really count on that.

Best,

Mitchell

Diane B

Mitchell, have you considered loading your photo files to Ipad for viewing and backup but just not deleting your files from your cards--buy some extra if you need them since they are so cheap now---and upload directly to your main computer when you get back. This is what I'm doing now for shorter jaunts. Its very simple---using the camera connector and loading files to the Ipad is so quick and easy, and to delete the files I do do it manualy, but I just do a quick check of each file I want to remove and then have it delete all at once I don't have to open each one to delete if that's what you are thinking. It would be nicer to say 'delete all' but....

In the future I'm going to look for a drive similar to my old Epson where I can upload directly from my cards for backup and then just upload to the Ipad the ones I want to view or share before I get home. I can upload to Flickr (via Photogene app) and share on the net if I want--or email. Still smaller and lighter than my laptop and I'd much rather use the Ipad for everythig else plus reading.

It may get better but its reasonable now for some storage/backup for shorter trips if you just don't delete/reformat your cards.

Mitchell

Diane,

Thanks so much. I think you've pushed me over. It's kind of amazing to think one could carry an iPad and an Epson drive and still be lighter.

And, besides it's my birthday in a couple of days.

Best,

Mitchell

Diane B

Well, happy birthday and we do aim to please (or try to entice LOL). My old Epson 1000 {?} isn't too big and the Ipad is quite light and thin so they (if I can find something similar to Epson but no viewing, just storage) both can just tuck into a small bag or even in one of my larger camera bags.