Site Sponsors

Thread: Zeiss 35 vs Nikon 35 AFD

Post Thanks / Like

Zeiss 35 vs Nikon 35 AFD

Okay, I have a decision to make on buying a Zeiss 35 (found mint locally). I already have a Nikon 35 AFD which is actually a pretty good lens. Anyone have feelings about how the Zeiss weighs in against this? I don't need autofocus as I have a 17-35mm to pull out for those times I do (and am considering a 24-70 someday when they are actually available at the correct price!).

I have a Zeiss 25 coming to replace my Nikon 24 which is not that great of a lens (though still not terrible for the $200 I paid for a mint copy). I know the Zeiss 28 is a great performer but not really a focal length that's ever done anything for me. Neither wide enough nor "normal" enough. I'll probably add a 50 1.4 at some point if I find a good price on one (I actually think my cheapo Nikon 50 f/1.8 is a stellar lens).

Anyway, I do really have to stop spending at some point (ha!) but is the Zeiss 35 that much better than the Nikon?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Zeiss 35 vs Nikon 35 AFD

Charles

Check out www.photozone.de

Pretty well respected tester though using a D200 and not full frame. He has reviewed most of the Zeiss lenses. He thinks the Z35 is quite a bit better than the N35.

Digi-loydd (sp) has reviewed the Zeiss line up also and used a D3 for some of it.

Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Well,I sold my nikkor today so looks like I have no choice but to pick up the Zeiss. Funny how that happens!

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Charles,

I have both the Zeiss 35/2 & 25/2.8 and I have to say that I'm very very pleased with them. Excellent sharpness and Zeiss contrast - definitely an extra level of clarity in shots taken with these lenses compared to the Nikon equivalents.

One thing to be aware of with the 25/2.8 is that the close focusing accuracy comes with the burden of a slow helical focus which means that it's a slow focus lens - you turn & turn & turn ...

The Nikon 35/2 AFD is a fine AF lens, although a little noisy - moot point if you've just sold yours. You'll like the Zeiss - very solid feel and excellent results.

Even though I'm using a D3 and most of the best Nikon lenses I'm often resorting to my preferred Zeiss MF lenses - for landscape work I find AF of little value to me.