The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A bit of birding

V

Vivek

Thanks, Steen and Cindy. It is one of my favorite pictures as well.

Cindy, Unfortunately, no. It took a lot of time, effort and a bit of cash for me to come up with this.

If Bob's PC Nikkor 28mm deal comes through, I will be doing the same thing with that lens (without the shift/focus bits) and that would be ready for full frame coverage.

Key aspect here is the use of a wide angle lens for close-ups. Of course, the light (evening, golden light) was yet another key ingredient.:)

V

Vivek

Hi Cindy, Nice. I like the Duck chicks.

Here is an attempt (the mother, the whole family pics did not pan out due to lack of a long lens at that time) in false color IR (D80-IR, a 35-70 zoom).

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
We had over five inches of rain yesterday and the city is flooded. The birds came out this morning after a day under cover.
D3 and 70-300 VR

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nice colours and detail, Cindy. What lens did you use?

Answered even before I hit the "Post" button. That's quick :)

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
:ROTFL:Jorgen, I guess we were cross-posting.
Right now I only have a 70-300 VR as a long lens. I'm hoping Nikon will come out with a 300 f/4 IS or 400 5.6 this summer.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
This hawk swept down into my back yard and nabbed a robin. He perched on my deck rail to eat his kill. I had to shoot through the window, but he still heard the click of the shutter. He picked up his prize and flew off.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks Bondo and Tim.
Yes, Tim, it is either a Sharp Shinned Hawk or Coopers Hawk. Both like to prey on yard feeders and both look very much alike. Sharp Shinned is 10-14" and Coopers is 14-20" tall, so even that is not definitive in this case.

V

Vivek

Cindy, Same as the one used for the Duck (reply#18, previous page).
Manually focused and triggered. I made the pigeon quite comfortable
which took more time than the actual shots.

Thanks. :)