The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some more with the 85 G

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Impressive "first" results, Jorge.
Sounds like the portrait lens we were waiting for!
(though, why they did not implement VR? :angry:)

And... nice set, really :thumbup:

P.S. we count on you to give us a full report on the new, long awaited 35mm 1.4 G... soon!

ryc

Yes. I saw that. Also looked at the sample images on Nikon's site and they looked a bit soft.

ecsh

All the sample pics i have seen have been f2 and above. I have seen nothing at 1.4.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
All the sample pics i have seen have been f2 and above. I have seen nothing at 1.4.
It does fine wide open, but at f/1.4 the Depth Of Field is so razor thin that you have to look closely to find the focus plane.
And you have to be careful to put the focus plane in exactly the right position when you take the picture.
Besides, as usual you gain some nice contrast by stopping down a bit.
Still, for nocturnes and other circumstances in low light it is nice to have the extra speed.

Some snaps at f/1.4 especially for you, Sir :)

click for larger sizes

Nikon D300 • Nikkor AF-S 1.4/85mm G • 1/6400 sec. at f/1.4 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Nikon D300 • Nikkor AF-S 1.4/85mm G • 1/1000 sec. at f/1.4 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Nikon D300 • Nikkor AF-S 1.4/85mm G • 1/320 sec. at f/1.4 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Nikon D300 • Nikkor AF-S 1.4/85mm G • 1/3200 sec. at f/1.4 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Nikon D300 • Nikkor AF-S 1.4/85mm G • 1/5000 sec. at f/1.4 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Nikon D300 • Nikkor AF-S 1.4/85mm G • 1/5000 sec. at f/1.4 ISO 200 • Capture NX