The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D7000

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nikon seems to have made exactly the camera I've been waiting for. An articulated LCD would have been nice, but apart from that, I can't find a single flaw. It even meters with AIS lenses.

If only Pentax could start making those Limited primes in F-mount :rolleyes:

No full frame for me unless it comes in a D7000 body. Next year?

DavidL

I will probably give it a try because I need more pixels than 12 and the D3x isn't an investment that's going to pay me back in the two years before the pension eagle lands.
I'm sort of stuck with Nikon because I have a lot invested in speedlights and accessories.
It has come in at the same price as the D300 series came in at, which makes me think the D300 DX series may fade away the hundred series being for full frame sensors as per the D700, And of course more expensive. The D90 is currently around £6-7 hundred in the UK and the D7000 is around the street price of the D300s at £1100.
It's maybe back to the old numbering D1 for pro D100 for semi pro.......
Would be nice if sony dumped all it's alpha full frames off and I would then consider wandering off into Zeiss land where I was many years ago with my Contax SLR's.
Argh memories.

ustein

Contributing Editor
The D90 is a very capable camera and the D7000 should be even a bit more interesting.

>An articulated LCD would have been nice

Yes, here Niko is a bit lazy :)

I'm looking forward to this one too. It will be my first foray into DSLRHD. That and if it's the same form factor as the D90, will be my street/travel camera cause I see no need to lug the D700 about...

D7000
16-35VR
50 1.4
105DC

That would be a stunning travel kit.

V

Vivek

If I were to buy a DSLR again, it is going to be Canon's 60D. I love plastic (well, all new Nikon lenses are plastic anyway) and I love the swivel LCD.

I can even use my Nikon lenses on it!:thumbs:

clay stewart

It looks like a pretty nice all around camera. I didn't see how the high ISO images look yet, but the 100% viewfinder, AIS capability and HD movie with AF while filming, looks good. I wonder if they improved the focus speed in Live View? Does anyone know if it still does the flip flop mirror in Live View capture?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If I were to buy a DSLR again, it is going to be Canon's 60D. I love plastic (well, all new Nikon lenses are plastic anyway) and I love the swivel LCD.

I can even use my Nikon lenses on it!:thumbs:
I was thinking the same until I saw the specs of the D7000. Larger viewfinder, Nikon ergonomics, two card slots and full functionality with Nikon AF and AF-S lenses will probably do it for me. But then I also have a GH1 for video and lots of other stuff.

V

Vivek

One thing that would have compelled me to take a look at Nikon DSLRs again would be the free purchase of NXx software with any cam purchase.

Adding a real mirror lock up, old manual lens usability (albeit limited use), etc that Nikon only used to reserve for their truck sized cams isn't that enticing.
They know very well (for some years now) that even if they sell a crippled cam, there are chips available that will fool the cams into believing there is an AiP lens attached. Also, every other brand cam can meter without any chip.

The swivel LCD (Panasonic G1 or Canon 60D) would become a standard for any DSLR (especially the hybrids that would shoot viedos) in the near future.

Any new fast lens from Nikon isn't that much less expensive than used Leica primes while their sizes are monstrous compared to the Lux'.

So, not worth the bother for me.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
For those -like me- who are old fashionned and don't even know or care taking a photo with a swivel LCD :wtf:, this is excellent news.

Features are comprehensive enough to even consider a lil' try into APS-C format. The double SD card is a real nice touch for a variety of work and assignements.

I'll get the vertical grip, though :eek:

(and hopefully the 100% VF (great!) will be bright and clear).

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Vivek- sure can understand why you or anyone else would rather shoot this or that, even with their feet if they feel so inclined. What seems pretty pointless though is raising an argument where there's not.

Nikon brings an extremely promising new camera that many F mount users have been waiting for for some time now. Higher pixel count, lotsa pro features in a smaller body form and cheaper cost.

No rant in the world will make the ultimate dream camera one individual is hoping for happen.

And if you've found that rare piece in the form of the Canon xD or Panasoly GHz, so be it. You're a happy camper and we're all happy for you. Really.

Doesn't have to meet everyone else's expectations, shooting habits etc.. Wouldn't life be so boring otherwise? :rolleyes:

V

Vivek

Corlan, I would love to find that Panasoly GHz. It would certainly make things more interesting than they already are. :)

V

Vivek

Today I saw (did not have a cam with me to capture it :() a youngish (even younger than the squint videographer using a D90 in the picture) fellow with a Nikon DSLR and a wide angle lens (had an SB600 on the cam as well) under sunny conditions doing snapping from about 100 foot high stairs.

He was squinting hard into the fixed LCD screen after each snap to review it. I don't think a pair of glasses would have helped him.

Last edited:

Godfrey

Nikon seems to have made exactly the camera I've been waiting for. An articulated LCD would have been nice, but apart from that, I can't find a single flaw. It even meters with AIS lenses.
A friend of mine was very hot on the D7000 once it was announced until he read that the auto-bracketing function is limited to three exposures. He does a lot of HDR and needs a minimum of five exposures in a bracket series for his work (architectural interiors); he claims seven would be better. That kills it for him.

Nothin's perfect.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>he read that the auto-bracketing function is limited to three exposures.

This sucks and on top the EV steps are limited to 1EV. I think the D90 had 2EV.

The main issue that Nikon keeps the 1EV limit for years and heard the complaints for that long. I think the 3 shot limit is to protect the higher end models. Canon has also 3 shots but allows larger EV steps.

V

Vivek

Corlan, Instead of a coffee maker (one that I would appreciate very much), they have included video... but without a swivel LCD or an EVF.:(