Images

Nikon "Street"

"Excuse me ... "

D300 + ZF 85

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon "Street"

what was this Michael Jackson after one surgery too many.......:-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love that expression.
    Kids worldwide can make the noise that goes with it, but you don't often see the visual equivalent.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DonWeston View Post
    what was this Michael Jackson after one surgery too many.......:-)
    Skin color is too dark for Mikey. He's turned caucasian. Or the hyperbaric oxygen chamber he uses finally triggered total cellular conflagration.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love it!!
    Regards,
    Joan

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great shot
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks all, please join me in illustrating that a bulky Nikon DSLR can be used for "street" (land, sea, air) work.
    Not sure if it's Mikey, a few minutes earlier he asked me if I wanted to do a test or something like that

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D300 • ZF 1.4/85mm • 1/2500 sec. at f/2.8, ISO 200

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Steen
    Isn't it dangerous to wear a neoprene shirt with leather trousers AND smoke?
    I'm sure I read something about explosions somewhere?

That shot certainly poses a lot of questions

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I didn't ask

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the flame tattoo. Nice.

Here is an invited ("take my photo"!) street portrait:

D80-IR, ~50mm focal length.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IR portraits, isn't that a new invention, Vivek

- - - - -

D300 • ZF 1.4/85mm • 1/2500 sec. at f/2.8, ISO 200

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sometimes, I don't think I know what street photography is anymore. A zillion years ago, after seeing an HCB exhibition at Louisiana (not the state, the museum in Helsingør), I started looking for a camera that could help me make that kind of photos. It took surprisingly long time before I realised that it's all a combination of the soul of the street and the mind of the photographer, and that technical progress may or may not help convey the message of the street photo.

Unfortunately, there are too many pretentious guys out there with the opinion that, if it's out of focus and shot with a Leica, it's street photography. Unpretentious street photography is possibly the art form that describes our society in the most honest way, and it's an irreplaceable documentation for those who come after us.

And the camera really doesn't matter. A big Nikon is as well suited as anything else. It's the photographer who has to blend in. Here are a few futile attempts from my own hand, all of them from Hanoi. D80 with 85/1.8.

Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 4th July 2008 at 18:40. Reason: Correcting some early morning errors

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    It took surprisingly long time before I realised that it's all a combination of the soul of the street and the mind of the photographer, and that technical progress may or may not help convey the message of the street photo.

Unfortunately, there are too many pretentious guys out there with the opinion that, if it's out of focus and shot with a Leica, it's street photography. Unpretentious street photography is possibly the art form that describes our society in the most honest way, and it's an irreplaceable documentation for those who come after us.

And the camera really doesn't matter. A big Nikon is as well suited as anything else. It's the photographer who has to blend in. Here are a few futile attempts from my own hand, all of them from Hanoi. D80 with 85/1.8.
    Hi Jorgen - I don't often go to streets, and when I do, I'm usually too 'shy' to get the camera out (or possibly too lazy). So I'm afraid my credentials for judging street photography are poor.

This post of yours is a good opportunity to say how much I relish your street photography - it's nearly always humorous, it's attractive and honest and kind, what's more, it's unpretentious, and to me it feels like a celebration of the street rather than an expression of your personality (although it may be that as well).

I like the way you don't find it necessary to make it black and white and grainy, I also like the fact that no explanation or statement of intent is required. Finally I like the fact that you feel like an observer rather than a participant; to me, firing wide angle lenses into people's faces at a metre simply gets you pictures of amazed/shocked/irritated/cross people. There's so much aggression in the world, it seems unnecessary to be an aggressive photographer as well!

Anyway, as you'll gather, I really like your photographs of Hanoi, I keep coming back to them, and they give me more and more pleasure.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Jono. I was very happy to read your kind words.

Walking around in strange places with a camera, preferably very early in the morning, is my escape..... ummm, one of my escapes

The interaction with the subjects is the key. As a European, I'll always be an alien in this part of the world. Still, a smile and a friendly attitude makes most subjects relaxed, and willing to pose without really posing. There are many "5 minute friendships" waiting to be discovered out there

Rainy Hanoi again, D80 @ ISO 1250 with 85mm @ 2.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen: I second Jono's remarks regarding your wonderful images. It's a relief to be shown a vision of people living and simply being themselves in a country that holds a certain resonance for me as child of the 60s and 70s.

The natural and overwhelmingly positive nature of your images is more proof of the maxim: "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Good for you and thanks for sharing them here.

Best,
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I like the way you don't find it necessary to make it black and white and grainy, I also like the fact that no explanation or statement of intent is required. Finally I like the fact that you feel like an observer rather than a participant; to me, firing wide angle lenses into people's faces at a metre simply gets you pictures of amazed/shocked/irritated/cross people. There's so much aggression in the world, it seems unnecessary to be an aggressive photographer as well!
    Dude, get over it, your man Mitch has been gone for months.

I will irritate you some more and plug his D300 safari photos, which I just checked out inspired by your post http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/tags/namibia/. They are REALLY outstanding. Especially considering he picked up the D300 shortly before the trip.

Incidentally, Jorgen, I also like your photos a lot. They are gentle, and it's nice to see that this sort of approach with the long lens works well. I guess as long as one feels comfortable the results follow, and the equipment is just a secondary thing.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sizifo View Post
    Dude, get over it, your man Mitch has been gone for months.
    . . . . and? I had (and have) no argument with Mitch - but I'm not keen on being called 'dude' - and I'm even less keen on your implication. As far as 'in your face' is concerned I was talking about the utube film of . . . . (I should remember his name) . . stuffing his camera in the face of New Yorkers.

But if you want to put the cap on Mitch and it fits, don't blame me 'dude'; it was neither my intention or my feelings. It's entirely your responsibility.
    I will irritate you some more and plug his D300 safari photos, which I just checked out inspired by your post http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/tags/namibia/. They are REALLY outstanding. Especially considering he picked up the D300 shortly before the trip.
    You've certainly irritated me - but not with these photos which I agree are splendid (as I told him at the time). . . what's your angle?
    Incidentally, Jorgen, I also like your photos a lot. They are gentle, and it's nice to see that this sort of approach with the long lens works well. I guess as long as one feels comfortable the results follow, and the equipment is just a secondary thing.
    Which is what I said isn't it?
    Last edited by jonoslack; 7th July 2008 at 13:09.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey c'mon sizifo, I see no reason whatsoever to connect Jono's reply with any specific person.
    And besides I cannot at all connect any of Jono's speifications with the member you mention.
    Here's an extreme example of what Jono is talking about if I undertstand him correctly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM
    Last edited by Steen; 7th July 2008 at 13:17.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have to agree Steen , not sure what field that came from but made no sense to me at least.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    Hey c'mon sizifo, I see no reason whatsoever to connect Jono's reply with any specific person.
    And besides I cannot at all connect any of Jono's speifications with the member you mention.
    Here's an extreme example of what Jono is talking about if I undertstand him correctly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM
    Thank you Steen
    Bruce Gilden - and after all, it's only my opinion, lots of people like him. My intention was only to congratulate Jorgen on his great photos. Tough to be slagged off for being complimentary!

grrrr!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frankly I love what Jorgen has been shooting , just has a nice feel to it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Frankly I love what Jorgen has been shooting , just has a nice feel to it.
    Hi Guy
    Thank you for the consolation!
    I quite agree about Jorgen - enjoyable, optimistic AND good.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seriously about 95 percent I have seen posted on this forum are very nice indeed . We have some good shooters here for sure. Not to miss anyone but I also liked Vivek and Steens as well

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A couple of more "IR Street"

a couple of non IR (D200)

30/1.4 Sigma @f/1.4

Zeiss S-Planar 120/4 with tilt @ f/8 and 8 deg tilt

Though the number is small (at the moment), there are some excellent photogs here. And what Jono said about too much aggression is the world is gold.

Jorgen, You are good.

I appreciate your (and Jack's) forum Guy.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely overreacted, and apologies for this to you Jono. But I do have something to say, and will try and do it more calmly. Jono, I've sent you a private message trying to explain myself, and in order to try and avoid creating a flame war (but if you want you can post it publicly).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No need everyone is fine. We all have our moments.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen,
    I like all of the shots. My favorite is still the woman on the scooter in the rain. If I took a trip to Hanoi and walked away with the number of really good shots that you've posted I would be a very happy woman!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I miss Mitch on this forum. He had a different way of seeing, and a different way of expressing himself. That made the streets of Bangkok look different from what I see through my eyes, and a great inspiration.

Focal length has always been a theme with regards to street photography. I've ended up with 85mm on DX, and would probably have used a 135mm on FX. That leaves enough distance for people to feel comfortable, and mostly to keep doing what they do. In Asia, people pose for photos ("You didn't say one, two, three!"), particularly if I get too close. The extra focal length also gives a bit of "compression" of the perspective, moving people and things closer together, something that I personally like, but obviously, others may think differently.

Too me, it's also a question of respect. During three days in Hanoi, I shot 1,700 individual photos, but that is nothing compared to all the photos that I did not take, mainly because it became apparent that the subject didn't want his or her photos taken.

Getting comments and criticism is obviously one of the reasons to post on a forum like this, and I'm very thankful for all the feedback here. Hopefully we'll all be here for quite a while, enjoying each other's work. Thank you everyone!

And Vivek, that b&w one with the girl over the shoulder is great

Here's another one. Don't ask, I didn't

Post Thanks / Like

That's nice. Thanks.

I have the following problem though:

"jonoslack has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space."

So I sent the message to the email on your website.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono has to clean out his inbox. I can't do that on the back end

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes Indeed, and I've had a very graceful email discussion with Sizifo. I won't go into details, but we've certainly done much better than 'agreeing to differ'!

How civilised

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Indeed, and I've had a very graceful email discussion with Sizifo. I won't go into details, but we've certainly done much better than 'agreeing to differ'!

How civilised
    Agreed, agreed, and I apologize again. Also, I realized today it may look like I was trying to attack Jorgen's photography, but this really wasn't the case. Well, the motivation for my ill-advised outburst is pretty well summarized by

I miss Mitch on this forum. He had a different way of seeing, and a different way of expressing himself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well glad it all worked out instead of taking your ball and going to play somewhere else. Too many don't want to discuss anything and walk away. As far as Mitch looks like he took his ball and walked away. Jack and i have sent several PM's to him, his choice what can i say. The door has been open all along.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yep, the door is open and that's what matters. Actually our friend does log in and visit us regularly, and I'm sure he will chime in whenever he wants to. I also take a break now and then, and then suddenly I'm inspired to participate again. That's how it's all so nice and relaxed here.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    Yep, the door is open and that's what matters. Actually our friend does log in and visit us regularly, and I'm sure he will chime in whenever he wants to. I also take a break now and then, and then suddenly I'm inspired to participate again. That's how it's all so nice and relaxed here.
    Hi Steen
    Let's hope he does chip in soon - I'm sure that we all miss his contribution.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agreed, agreed, and I apologize again. Also, I realized today it may look like I was trying to attack Jorgen's photography, but this really wasn't the case. Well, the motivation for my ill-advised outburst is pretty well summarized by
    Well Vid
    Let's hope it encourages Mitch back again, and then it's for the best all round.

I'm sure Jorgen didn't take it as an attack on his wonderful photography.

I'm not sure whether this is apocryphal or not, but it's certainly my motto in life: My father told me that he'd read an interview with Thelonious Monk from the 50's, the interviewer had said:

Well Mr Monk, it seems that you make a lot of mistakes when you are playing
    The reply was:

Man, there is no such thing as a bum note . . . . it all depends on how you resolve it

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Well Vid
    Let's hope it encourages Mitch back again, and then it's for the best all round.

I'm sure Jorgen didn't take it as an attack on his wonderful photography.

I'm not sure whether this is apocryphal or not, but it's certainly my motto in life: My father told me that he'd read an interview with Thelonious Monk from the 50's, the interviewer had said:

The reply was:
    Ha ha.

Well I'm sure Mitch's resolve to stay pissed off will break at some point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"A place to exchange ideas, techniques, experiences AND images,
    where the discussions are fun, respectful and geared toward the goal of
    helping each other improve all aspects of our photography."

Anything outside of this statement is unacceptable and the owners and moderators will do whatever it takes to abide by this statement and take whatever action necessary at the time to insure that is what we live by. This is what makes this forum as good as it is.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"A place to exchange ideas, techniques, experiences AND images,
    where the discussions are fun, respectful and geared toward the goal of
    helping each other improve all aspects of our photography."

Anything outside of this statement is unacceptable and the owners and moderators will do whatever it takes to abide by this statement and take whatever action necessary at the time to insure that is what we live by. This is what makes this forum as good as it is.
    Oooh! you're soooo tough

. . . . does that count as respect?

What is so good is that you do allow a little space for things to sort themselves out, and in this case it was certainly the right approach.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey watch it i will send you a MF system and really get you in trouble with the wife. LOL

Thanks Jono folks don't realize how much space is really given here. I want folks to have fun and if the crap hits the fan than we will try and smooth stuff out first and if that don't work than we have to delete , edit or whatever to make this a better place. We are going on simple logic here and whatever makes all the members happy that is the plan. If we make a mistake we make a mistake , no one is perfect. If someone thinks they are perfect or above the rules than this is not the place for you.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey watch it i will send you a MF system and really get you in trouble with the wife. LOL
    Ah, Guy, it isn't Emma (she's just grateful that I don't: 1. play golf, 2. sail boats 3. play away, all of which are much more expensive than MF). If I want to mortgage the dog and buy an HD39, then she'd grin and bear it.

It's me that's being stick in the mud about this!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes it takes some mental decision to figure out how it will be better for you in the long run and work within your style. You do need to demo one and just play with it and see how it fits you.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes it takes some mental decision to figure out how it will be better for you in the long run and work within your style. You do need to demo one and just play with it and see how it fits you.
    Well, at the moment I can't see how it will be better for me in the long run - or the short run, or how I could work it within my style (if I have one indeed!).

Basically, until I learn to 'plan' photographs I need to have something where I can carry a focal length range from 14-300mm in a bag for a 10 mile hike . . . and I just don't think I can do that with MF.

Of course, we all want the best content and the best quality in our photographs, and we all know that MF provides the best quality, but, I don't want to sacrifice content for quality, and, for me, I think that is what would happen if I went for MF.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Enough words (although I would love to have a digital mf too, one with an old-fashioned, waist-level viewfinder. Is there such a thing?), here's a photo.

D80 with Tamron 24-135mm @ 24mm f/4 and 1/30s.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quite Right
    More Fast Children (although not with Nikon - I'm sure you'll forgive me).

Tuscany - October 2007

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool shot. Looks dangerous though

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A pedestrian image.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whoa !
    Soo three-dimensional. Like a hologram.
    And you really caught a perfect moment
    What lens did you use here, Vivek ... ??