The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon "Street"

jonoslack

Love that expression.
Kids worldwide can make the noise that goes with it, but you don't often see the visual equivalent.
:ROTFL:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks all, please join me in illustrating that a bulky Nikon DSLR can be used for "street" (land, sea, air) work.
Not sure if it's Mikey, a few minutes earlier he asked me if I wanted to do a test or something like that :D

jonoslack

Hi Steen
Isn't it dangerous to wear a neoprene shirt with leather trousers AND smoke?
I'm sure I read something about explosions somewhere?

That shot certainly poses a lot of questions:)

V

Vivek

I like the flame tattoo. Nice.

Here is an invited ("take my photo"!) street portrait:

D80-IR, ~50mm focal length.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
:thumbup: IR portraits, isn't that a new invention, Vivek :)

- - - - -

D300 • ZF 1.4/85mm • 1/2500 sec. at f/2.8, ISO 200

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sometimes, I don't think I know what street photography is anymore. A zillion years ago, after seeing an HCB exhibition at Louisiana (not the state, the museum in Helsingør), I started looking for a camera that could help me make that kind of photos. It took surprisingly long time before I realised that it's all a combination of the soul of the street and the mind of the photographer, and that technical progress may or may not help convey the message of the street photo.

Unfortunately, there are too many pretentious guys out there with the opinion that, if it's out of focus and shot with a Leica, it's street photography. Unpretentious street photography is possibly the art form that describes our society in the most honest way, and it's an irreplaceable documentation for those who come after us.

And the camera really doesn't matter. A big Nikon is as well suited as anything else. It's the photographer who has to blend in. Here are a few futile attempts from my own hand, all of them from Hanoi. D80 with 85/1.8.

Last edited:

jonoslack

It took surprisingly long time before I realised that it's all a combination of the soul of the street and the mind of the photographer, and that technical progress may or may not help convey the message of the street photo.

Unfortunately, there are too many pretentious guys out there with the opinion that, if it's out of focus and shot with a Leica, it's street photography. Unpretentious street photography is possibly the art form that describes our society in the most honest way, and it's an irreplaceable documentation for those who come after us.

And the camera really doesn't matter. A big Nikon is as well suited as anything else. It's the photographer who has to blend in. Here are a few futile attempts from my own hand, all of them from Hanoi. D80 with 85/1.8.
Hi Jorgen - I don't often go to streets, and when I do, I'm usually too 'shy' to get the camera out (or possibly too lazy). So I'm afraid my credentials for judging street photography are poor.

This post of yours is a good opportunity to say how much I relish your street photography - it's nearly always humorous, it's attractive and honest and kind, what's more, it's unpretentious, and to me it feels like a celebration of the street rather than an expression of your personality (although it may be that as well).

I like the way you don't find it necessary to make it black and white and grainy, I also like the fact that no explanation or statement of intent is required. Finally I like the fact that you feel like an observer rather than a participant; to me, firing wide angle lenses into people's faces at a metre simply gets you pictures of amazed/shocked/irritated/cross people. There's so much aggression in the world, it seems unnecessary to be an aggressive photographer as well!

Anyway, as you'll gather, I really like your photographs of Hanoi, I keep coming back to them, and they give me more and more pleasure.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you Jono. I was very happy to read your kind words.

Walking around in strange places with a camera, preferably very early in the morning, is my escape..... ummm, one of my escapes :LOL:

The interaction with the subjects is the key. As a European, I'll always be an alien in this part of the world. Still, a smile and a friendly attitude makes most subjects relaxed, and willing to pose without really posing. There are many "5 minute friendships" waiting to be discovered out there :)

Rainy Hanoi again, D80 @ ISO 1250 with 85mm @ 2.0

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Jorgen: I second Jono's remarks regarding your wonderful images. It's a relief to be shown a vision of people living and simply being themselves in a country that holds a certain resonance for me as child of the 60s and 70s.

The natural and overwhelmingly positive nature of your images is more proof of the maxim: "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Good for you and thanks for sharing them here.

Best,
Tim

sizifo

I like the way you don't find it necessary to make it black and white and grainy, I also like the fact that no explanation or statement of intent is required. Finally I like the fact that you feel like an observer rather than a participant; to me, firing wide angle lenses into people's faces at a metre simply gets you pictures of amazed/shocked/irritated/cross people. There's so much aggression in the world, it seems unnecessary to be an aggressive photographer as well!
Dude, get over it, your man Mitch has been gone for months.

I will irritate you some more and plug his D300 safari photos, which I just checked out inspired by your post http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/tags/namibia/. They are REALLY outstanding. Especially considering he picked up the D300 shortly before the trip.

Incidentally, Jorgen, I also like your photos a lot. They are gentle, and it's nice to see that this sort of approach with the long lens works well. I guess as long as one feels comfortable the results follow, and the equipment is just a secondary thing.

jonoslack

Dude, get over it, your man Mitch has been gone for months.
. . . . and? I had (and have) no argument with Mitch - but I'm not keen on being called 'dude' - and I'm even less keen on your implication. As far as 'in your face' is concerned I was talking about the utube film of . . . . (I should remember his name) . . stuffing his camera in the face of New Yorkers.

But if you want to put the cap on Mitch and it fits, don't blame me 'dude'; it was neither my intention or my feelings. It's entirely your responsibility.
I will irritate you some more and plug his D300 safari photos, which I just checked out inspired by your post http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/tags/namibia/. They are REALLY outstanding. Especially considering he picked up the D300 shortly before the trip.
You've certainly irritated me - but not with these photos which I agree are splendid (as I told him at the time). . . what's your angle?
Incidentally, Jorgen, I also like your photos a lot. They are gentle, and it's nice to see that this sort of approach with the long lens works well. I guess as long as one feels comfortable the results follow, and the equipment is just a secondary thing.
Which is what I said isn't it?

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Hey c'mon sizifo, I see no reason whatsoever to connect Jono's reply with any specific person.
And besides I cannot at all connect any of Jono's speifications with the member you mention.
Here's an extreme example of what Jono is talking about if I undertstand him correctly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkIWW6vwrvM

Last edited: