Site Sponsors

Thread: A 34MP FX Sensor and Diffration Limit

Post Thanks / Like

A 34MP FX Sensor and Diffration Limit

Hello :

Anyway to predict what which f/stop Diffraction Limit would be reached for a 34 MP FX Sensor ? Are there any such mathematical formulas that can provide this information ?

Thanks,

Jai

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A 34MP FX Sensor and Diffration Limit

It is actually rumored that the next FX sensor should even have 36 - 38 MP:

Definitely this is above diffraction limit in some (hopefully not too many) cases. Actually only a small selected number of lenses will be able to perform on this sensor. I also think that Nikon will have to skip the AA filter for such a sensor, in order to make use of the high resolution - hopefully finally!

For MF this will be a shock for sure! Think about - a Leica S2 with 37.5 MPs and a heavy price of 20k+ and on the other side a Nikon D4X with 38MP for less than 10k. But with far better high ISO capabilities. And a far better lens alignment, one which a S2 never can achieve.

Or compare to Hasselblad and Phase offerings with their 40MP backs. Just the price alone will e a killing argument, not to mention size and weight and weather sealing etc. etc.

Really love to see that beast soon! Would make my life as landscape photographer much easier. And the good news is, I would have the lens lineup already!

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wouldn't worry too much about theoretical diffraction limits. I've seen plenty of photos that should have been severely limited by diffraction (Canon 7D stopped down to f/16 or smaller), that have been surprisingly sharp. The effect is there, but combine that with AA filtering, the effect of the Bayer matrix and the quality of the lens etc., it becomes very hard, if not impossible, to predict and very theoretical.

Worry about this when real life samples are available. Before that: enjoy life

Post Thanks / Like

Still need the 16 bit capture.. not 12 or 14. Makes that gray scale thing really happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There was an interesting but also rather complicated thread on the FM forum on this topic.
    Especially see theSuede's post p. 1 #25
    And also theSuede's post p. 3 #1

Seems like there's still room for progression and development.
    So far I'm not all that worried about the resolving power of the glass, I'm more concerned about the cameras becoming dedicated tripod machines with the increasing pixel count.
    Wonder if development of vibration reduction systems can keep up with the never ending pixel race.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting link which contains a nice little tool to play with
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...hotography.htm

Post Thanks / Like

For a DSLR give me 18MP, 16bit and a base iso of 25 and I'll buy three.. now.
    http://jasonedwardphoto.com http://jasonmuelver.tumblr.com
    Nikon FX, Leica M8, Mamiya 645, Canon F-1

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought another D3x last week, they are damn fine cameras.

To cut a long story short, I sold my old D3x to purchase a P45+ but sold it since, hence the new D3x purchase, I honestly can't praise them enough.

My ideal D4x changes would be the following

1) higher resolution screen (it's fantastic now but needs slightly more resolution to get front to back sharp images with tilt lenses)

2) More mega pixels is always welcome, but never at the cost of quality!

3) ISO 25 would be a dream but seriously, ISO 50 would do me.

4) A long exposure counter would be nice!

5) Screw threads on both sides of the camera for tripod mounting in portrait/landscape orientation, this would save costs purchasing L brackets!

6) Rule of thirds superimposed on either viewfinder or live view screen would be nice but not essential, I like this as an aid rather than something to religiously follow.

7) Built in GPS that can be switched on/off.

8) 16 bit files would be awsome, but then so would 24 or 32

Those features would keep me more than happy for a long time.

As for 'diffraction' I really don't see this as a big deal, lenses, AA filters, sensors are so finely tuned these days, plus you can simply test your equipment and see the effects of diffraction on your screen within minutes, from there you can decide how much diffraction is too much for you, I:E print sizes, etc.
    Last edited by JGR; 24th October 2010 at 11:33.

netrefugee

Worry about this when real life samples are available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

right,
    until then it's enough to just have a nice time sharing our thoughts ...

Post Thanks / Like

When was the D3X released? Is it even close to being time to expect a replacement? I expect Canon will be first off the mark with a 1Ds IV sometime in the new year, but I have no idea.

Post Thanks / Like

I would assume that also Nikon will come out next year with something like a D4X or D800, pushing the limits of resolution again.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to get a good overview of the problems as sensor pitch is reduced, see http://www.josephholmes.com/news-med...precision.html

Personally, I prefer images from my Dicomed FieldPro back than any DSLR, and I can use any decent modern (made in the last 50 or so years) lens and get stunning 6k x 7200 pixel, non AA filtered, detail capturing images