The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dog Gossip (testing the 16 - 85)

Recently I bought the new 16 - 85 VR as a light-weight walkaround alternative to the 17 - 55 on my D200. Happy to report I´m quite satisfied with it (but not to the point of selling the 17 - 85).

The big plus is, of course, the compactness; I just can´t lug the 17 - 55 on a day´s walk and still enjoy it, but that´s what I do with the 16 - 85. IQ is surprisingly good; there is more "depth" in the 17 - 55 images, and bokeh is a bit better, but for sheer sharpness at, say f/8, it is a draw, really.

Of course the 17 - 55 has faster AF, can be used wide open without qualms, has weather sealing & c, so I´m keeping it for when I feel "serious" :angel:

Here are two of my friends, gossiping about "that camera nut with yet another new lens"....:rolleyes:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
That's a cool shot. The small dog sure does seem to be whispering in the big dog's ear. Just needs one of those talk bubbles above them to fill in what's being said. As in: "Psst, 20 paws ahead on the right, there's a great pile of pigeon stuff. Check it out man!" :D

Thank you, TR and Clay!

I love dogs, and I love shooting them (with a camera, of course :thumbup: );
in fact, frustration with slower cameras in the presence of dogs was one of the main reasons for me to buy the D200.

Here´s another, this time with the 17 - 55. As I said, depth and bokeh is better here (don´t know if it shows in these small jpegs..).