The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Needed your help again ... until I read the manual

fotografz

So, today I took delivery of the 14-24/2.8 and 100/2.8VR (both of which I swore I'd never get ... LOL!)

I go to use the 100 and the darn thing wouldn't let me select f/2.8 ... f/4 was was the best it would give me on any setting :wtf:, yet another item to send back :banghead:

So, before doing that I thought to ask you folks first ... then it dawned on me to read the manual so I don't look to dumb ... sure enough ...PG 23, item #9: "Setting the Aperture" ... "the effective aperture varies with shooting distance" ... I've never heard of such a thing on a fixed prime lens ... what's up with that?

(Nice lens BTW)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's rather normal on a macro, at least on Nikon's macros. You probably don't want f/2.8 at macro distance anyway. Even on a tripod, you'll have a hard time getting anything in focus unless you stop breathing :)

I assume that it's the same phenomenon that makes some zoom lenses change maximum focal length at close focusing distances. Sony's new, high quality 70-300 lens is said to approach a maximum 200mm focal length when being focused close to it's near limit, which is 1.2 meter.

Last edited:

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Marc,

Think about how extension tubes work. You put a lens on an extension tube (or bellows) to reduce the minimum focus, but for every x amount of extension you lose y amount of light. Here, with Nikon's design of an internal focusing macro, you are losing light as you near minimum focus. I've seen this on other macro lenses as well. On other camera brands the lens reads the same aperture as what you set it at, you lose light anyway, and the camera's meter compensates. In Nikon land the CPU lens communicates the real T-stop, rather than the set f-stop. (T for actual light transmition, rather than f-stop for focal length to aperture ratio)

Enjoy your new lenses.

David

fotografz

Marc,

Think about how extension tubes work. You put a lens on an extension tube (or bellows) to reduce the minimum focus, but for every x amount of extension you lose y amount of light. Here, with Nikon's design of an internal focusing macro, you are losing light as you near minimum focus. I've seen this on other macro lenses as well. On other camera brands the lens reads the same aperture as what you set it at, you lose light anyway, and the camera's meter compensates. In Nikon land the CPU lens communicates the real T-stop, rather than the set f-stop. (T for actual light transmition, rather than f-stop for focal length to aperture ratio)

Enjoy your new lenses.

David
Yep, understand the concept as I've used tubes with a 120 Zeiss for decades ... which is what I suspected, and why I didn't immediately return the lens. It's just that I had never seen it read out on a lens like my 100/2.8 Canon Macro. Interesting ... and thanks for the replies.

jonoslack

Hi Marc
That takes me back - I have this lens for the second time; the first time (3 years ago?) I found the same thing, took it back to the dealer, who also didn't know about it and rang Nikon - what a palaver!

Glad you got it sorted. I'm afraid that I'm allergic to manuals as well!

harmsr

Workshop Member
Marc - Don't feel bad, I had the same thoughts when I first got mine. Then focussed farther away and got 3.2, then farther yet and got 2.8. My mind then engaged. It took a minute to overcome mentally what was going on. I believe other lenses also do the same thing, but like David said they just don't tell you.

Best,

Ray

fotografz

Marc - Don't feel bad, I had the same thoughts when I first got mine. Then focussed farther away and got 3.2, then farther yet and got 2.8. My mind then engaged. It took a minute to overcome mentally what was going on. I believe other lenses also do the same thing, but like David said they just don't tell you.

Best,

Ray
Yanked it out of the box and I never even focused on anything beyond 1' away ... LOL.

The 2 new lenses are in the wedding bag for this Saturday's 8 hour workout ... wahooooo !

Terry

When I was at B&H and could not get it down to f2.8 I was told that it was a DOF issue.... essentially there wasn't any.