Site Sponsors

Thread: D3s filel up-rezed to D3x's resolution

Post Thanks / Like

D3s filel up-rezed to D3x's resolution

Hello :

Wondering if any one has performed the following test :
    1. Shoot an image with the D3s set to produce a raw/net file at base iso using a high quality lens.

2. Using the same lens as above, shoot the same scene, but this time with a D3x also at it's base iso to outputs a raw/net file.

3. Up-rez the D3s file to "equal" it's resolution to that of the D3x.

I wonder how well or otherwise the up-rezed D3s file compares to that of the D3x ?

If you have such samples or know of existing images on the net, do provide this info.

Thanks,

Jai

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: D3s filel up-rezed to D3x's resolution

You can't create something from nothing. The D3x native image, given a good exposure, will always out resolve an up rezzed D3s image. The difference isn't as clear when printed if the print size is 11x19 or below.

A better test I think is to down rez a D3x image to D3s resolution to compare noise at higher iso.

Post Thanks / Like

If I recall correctly, Lloyd Chambers did this sort of comparison with the D3 and D3x. You might search his site - http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/index.html.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've done the comparison several times with the D3s and D3X. Output size is a very big factor, as is subject matter and final medium (screen/print etc). For my own purposes, I find that the set of compromises offered by the D3S is far more appealing in actual use than those of the D3X, which I recently sold...