The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D3s filel up-rezed to D3x's resolution

jvora

Hello :

Wondering if any one has performed the following test :
1. Shoot an image with the D3s set to produce a raw/net file at base iso using a high quality lens.

2. Using the same lens as above, shoot the same scene, but this time with a D3x also at it's base iso to outputs a raw/net file.

3. Up-rez the D3s file to "equal" it's resolution to that of the D3x.

I wonder how well or otherwise the up-rezed D3s file compares to that of the D3x ?

If you have such samples or know of existing images on the net, do provide this info.

Thanks,

Jai

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
You can't create something from nothing. The D3x native image, given a good exposure, will always out resolve an up rezzed D3s image. The difference isn't as clear when printed if the print size is 11x19 or below.

A better test I think is to down rez a D3x image to D3s resolution to compare noise at higher iso.

Don Hutton

I've done the comparison several times with the D3s and D3X. Output size is a very big factor, as is subject matter and final medium (screen/print etc). For my own purposes, I find that the set of compromises offered by the D3S is far more appealing in actual use than those of the D3X, which I recently sold...